January 8, 2010

Link Dump: January 8th, 2010
by: The Geeks on Jan 8, 2010 12:10 AM | Filed under: Link Dumps

[08:04 AM] New York Post: Magadan says Bay will fit in perfectly with Mets
[09:32 PM] Mets.com: Inbox: Dissecting the Bay aftermath
[09:14 AM] Amazin’ Avenue: New Year’s Eve Applesauce – More Bay reactions, 2009 Met defense, Aroldis Chapman update
[09:06 AM] Baseball Prospectus: The Year in Quotes: The Highs and Lows of 2009 by Alex Carnevale
[07:00 AM] New York Post: Bay-after: Mets seek starter
[05:10 AM] NY Daily News: Former teammate Sean Casey says New York Mets made right move signing Jason Bay
[10:45 PM] Newsday: My 2010 Hall of Fame ballot
[10:02 PM] Amazin’ Avenue: Ken Davidoff’s 2010 Hall of Fame ballot
[10:01 PM] Amazin’ Avenue: Rockies close to a deal with Olivo, could the Mets turn to Torrealba?
[09:38 PM] New York Times: The Mets Look to Canada
[07:13 PM] Sports Illustrated: Cards make $100M pitch for Holliday

Most headlines aggregated by SportSpyder.

549 Responses to “Link Dump: January 8th, 2010”

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »

1. Comment posted by Dave in Spain on January 8, 2010 at 3:08 am (#1132181)

Morning Geeks!
    Interesting that after 2011 both FRod and Papelbon will be FAs. Papelbon is a year older, but has a significantly lower WHIP than FRod.

3. Comment posted by Future on January 8, 2010 at 4:29 am (#1132182)

F-Rod has an option for 2012. It will likely vest easily.

4. Comment posted by Dave in Spain on January 8, 2010 at 7:34 am (#1132183)

You´re right. And it´s a $17.5million option–YIKES!

5. Comment posted by Danny on January 8, 2010 at 7:47 am (#1132184)

Omar loves easily-vesting big $$$ options that will be someone else’s problem.

6. Comment posted by lucienlc on January 8, 2010 at 8:45 am (#1132185)

Omar loves easily-vesting big $$$ options that will be someone else’s problem.

Unfrickin believable. No reliever short of Mariano Rivera in his prime is worth $17.5 mill.

7. Comment posted by MyFavoriteBaseballSquadron on January 8, 2010 at 8:53 am (#1132186)

Ah 2012, the year that Jose becomes an FA assuming they exercise his 2011 option.

8. Comment posted by dogcatcher on January 8, 2010 at 8:56 am (#1132187)

I wonder if one of Omar’s vesting options has ever not vested?

Im not sure its fair to beat up Omar for Krod..he had to sign that guy at the time or we would have had his head..Im still trying to figure out why we traded wagner for less than his FA compensation…

Im kinda hoping Krod’s karma will improve ty with the rest of the team…I think he’s far from done

9. Comment posted by lucienlc on January 8, 2010 at 9:00 am (#1132188)

No idea. I’m still trying to figure out why we spent less money on our 2009 draft than any other team, despite the fact that our minor leagues are weak, to say the least.

11. Comment posted by Lunkwill Fook on January 8, 2010 at 9:09 am (#1132189)

Again, I think Boston and the Braves had a behind the scenes agreement with Wagner. It’s all just too convenient.

12. Comment posted by Danny on January 8, 2010 at 9:11 am (#1132190)

All you have to know about the Mets is that we are going to throw at least $6M at Bengie Molina because of his purported psychological impact on pitchers. This is how we spend money.

Other teams use much more sophisticated means of determining a player’s value. We’re going to be behind the 8-ball until we change the leadership hierarchy and get with the times.

13. Comment posted by Ed in Westchester on January 8, 2010 at 9:15 am (#1132191)

ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Comment posted by dogcatcher on January 8, 2010 at 9:17 am (#1132192)

Exactly..wtf are they thinking? $3.5 to $4 with a club option for 2011…take it or leave it you DP machine

As for Wagner, they saved $1M..hope the Wilpons dont spend it all in one place..

How about a new one…why the F did we pay Cora $2 mill when we can have Odog for slightly more than that?

15. Comment posted by dogcatcher on January 8, 2010 at 9:21 am (#1132193)

ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It has and always will bug me when major a-holes like Nick Saban win championships…maybe its the yankee (Steinbrenner) hatred/upbringing

16. Comment posted by Ed in Westchester on January 8, 2010 at 9:23 am (#1132194)

This makes my day. Dep post last night.

Methinks Dep should post this every page for a week.

oh glorious night

dep 2

squad 0

viva los isles

17. Comment posted by Ed in Westchester on January 8, 2010 at 9:23 am (#1132195)

Because Alex Cora playz for winnerz!

Didn’t you get the memo?

19. Comment posted by Lunkwill Fook on January 8, 2010 at 9:25 am (#1132196)

Hahah Callis has the farm system ranked at 24. We actually got WORSE.

21. Comment posted by Lunkwill Fook on January 8, 2010 at 9:27 am (#1132197)

Sickels top 20 Mets prospects list.

23. Comment posted by Dep on January 8, 2010 at 9:33 am (#1132198)

stop signing big money closers

its basically rule #1

25. Comment posted by Dep on January 8, 2010 at 9:34 am (#1132199)

This makes my day. Dep post last night.

Methinks Dep should post this every page for a week.

ha!

26. Comment posted by MyFavoriteBaseballSquadron on January 8, 2010 at 9:35 am (#1132200)

This makes my day. Dep post last night.

Methinks Dep should post this every page for a week.

oh glorious night

dep 2

squad 0

viva los isles

Both 1 goal games, including one in OT. First time Dep has swept me in NHL10. I then proceeded to win 19 of 20 shoot out contests.

27. Comment posted by MyFavoriteBaseballSquadron on January 8, 2010 at 9:36 am (#1132201)

And Dep gets an assist from Mrs Squad who was fervently trying to contact me during our games, thus creating enough of a distraction. I think he secretly put her up to it.

29. Comment posted by Dep on January 8, 2010 at 9:39 am (#1132202)

hhahahahaha

First Star: Squad’s wife

yea, he kicked my heiny in shootouts

31. Comment posted by Lunkwill Fook on January 8, 2010 at 9:45 am (#1132203)

Mrs. Squad is not a team player. She’s the Sean Avery of domesticated life.

33. Comment posted by The Mad Stork on January 8, 2010 at 9:49 am (#1132204)

Mrs. Squad is not a team player. She’s the Sean Avery of domesticated life.

Ooooh. Low blow.

And I’m still pissed about that breakdown which lead to the turnover which lead to the game tying goal in the third period.

Bastards.

34. Comment posted by MyFavoriteBaseballSquadron on January 8, 2010 at 9:49 am (#1132205)

Mrs. Squad is not a team player. She’s the Sean Avery of domesticated life.

I might need to place her on waivers if she pulls that act again.

35. Comment posted by C needs a LOWenbrau on January 8, 2010 at 9:51 am (#1132206)

lol. Rex being Rex

Jim’s memories of a young Rex sound a lot like the current Rex – ultra-competitive, full of bravado. The only difference is, now he’s making headlines with his brash statements.

There was the time at the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala., in the early 1990s when Rex staged a Ruthian display of power. During one of the football practices, he wandered over to a nearby baseball field, where he saw a pitcher – probably around 18 – throwing smoke to a catcher. Ryan, an outstanding hitter as a kid, asked if he could take a swing against the hotshot flamethrower.

“So this big guy in cowboy boots picks up a bat, no loosening up, not even a warmup swing and steps to the plate,” recalled Jim, a former agent who represented a player in the Senior Bowl. “Rex asked the pitcher what his best pitch is, and the kid says it’s his fastball. So Rex tells the pitcher not to worry, to bring the heat.

“Rex hits the kid’s first pitch about 400 feet. He drops the bat, says, ‘Oh, yeah, you’re good,’ and walks away.”

Sounds a bit like the Jets coach, doesn’t it?

36. Comment posted by lucienlc on January 8, 2010 at 9:51 am (#1132207)

Mets are still trying to wow their season ticket holders. Last month, there was the behind-the-scenes visit to Citifield, including a trip to the dugout, the locker room (which is insane, btw!) and other goodies. Now, they’re hosting “MVP” receptions for the season ticket holders next week, with “select players” in attendance and autographed goodies for all.

37. Comment posted by lucienlc on January 8, 2010 at 9:52 am (#1132208)

Love the Rex being Rex anecdote.

38. Comment posted by Athena on January 8, 2010 at 9:54 am (#1132209)

Lunk, you looked great on TV. Sunglasses=glamour!

;-)

40. Comment posted by Lunkwill Fook on January 8, 2010 at 9:55 am (#1132210)

I agree. I do blame Boyle. It was his man.

42. Comment posted by Lunkwill Fook on January 8, 2010 at 9:55 am (#1132211)

Lunk, you looked great on TV. Sunglasses=glamour!

hahah Thanks Athena. That’s just normal Lunk on the street, by the way. When I actually pimp myself up, the ladies can’t stop themselves. ;)

43. Comment posted by C needs a LOWenbrau on January 8, 2010 at 9:55 am (#1132212)

ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SEC baby! 4 years in a row.

Now you know why I didn’t mind rooting for the Phillies in the WS. F the skanks!

44. Comment posted by Joe A. on January 8, 2010 at 9:56 am (#1132213)

Sickels top 20 Mets prospects list.

Pretty good rankings. I’m surprised Wilmer is so high. And Holt dropped a little bit farther than I would have thought.

Sickels isn’t very high on Thole – but I agree he’s not a top 10 prospect. He likes Allen a lot more than others seem to though. And he hasn’t given up on Marte.

46. Comment posted by The Mad Stork on January 8, 2010 at 9:56 am (#1132214)

I heard Even Roberts talking about that yesterday with Joe. Honestly sounds like a cool idea. Unfortunately it’s only happening because ownership is feeling the heat from it’s fanbase. No way they would host a gathering like this after the 200 or 2006 seasons.

48. Comment posted by Dep on January 8, 2010 at 9:58 am (#1132215)

lmao @ rex

golly i hope the jets win

cannot wait

50. Comment posted by Lunkwill Fook on January 8, 2010 at 9:58 am (#1132216)

Tim Dierkes of MLB Trade Rumors predicted that John Smoltz, Carlos Delgado, Joel Pineiro and Bengie Molina will all wind up with the Mets by the end of the offseason.

51. Comment posted by Athena on January 8, 2010 at 9:58 am (#1132217)

Haha! No doubt!

52. Comment posted by Rave on January 8, 2010 at 9:58 am (#1132218)

Huh, Sickels really doesn’t like Josh Thole. Love the rankings on Allen and Familia though.

54. Comment posted by Dep on January 8, 2010 at 9:58 am (#1132219)

interesting

56. Comment posted by The Mad Stork on January 8, 2010 at 9:58 am (#1132220)

That’s just normal Lunk on the street, by the way. When I actually pimp myself up, the ladies can’t stop themselves laughing their asses off.

Fixed.

58. Comment posted by Lunkwill Fook on January 8, 2010 at 9:59 am (#1132221)

Yeah, it’s not bad overall. It’s just interesting that Sickels believed the hype concerning certain players and then utterly disbelieved the hype regarding others. But, yeah, overall, not bad. I am glad he addressed the problem of both overrating AND underrating our farm system.

60. Comment posted by Lunkwill Fook on January 8, 2010 at 9:59 am (#1132222)

Fixed.

I would vehemently deny that accusation if it didn’t ring of truthfulness.

62. Comment posted by Dep on January 8, 2010 at 10:00 am (#1132223)

Ian Kennedy A-

64. Comment posted by Lunkwill Fook on January 8, 2010 at 10:00 am (#1132224)

Ian Kennedy A-

You made that up.

65. Comment posted by C needs a LOWenbrau on January 8, 2010 at 10:00 am (#1132225)

Although I was rooting for Bama I do DETEST Saban. For anyone who missed it check out his players trying to kill him with the Gatorade bucket last night. HYSTERICAL. I was literally in stitches. Couldn’t have happened to a better d-bag.

67. Comment posted by The Mad Stork on January 8, 2010 at 10:02 am (#1132226)

You mean “truthiness”. Remember, it’s in the dictionary now. So you can use it.

68. Comment posted by lucienlc on January 8, 2010 at 10:03 am (#1132227)

That’s for sure.

One of these days, I’ll try to upload my pix from the behind-the-scenes tour to somewhere if anyone is interested in seeing them. The locker room really was amazing. We also got to sit in the interview room, in Jerry’s post-game interview chair. LOL! (Also got to don batting helmets and bats in the dugout.) It was kind of fun.

Since I’m about the only Geek who held on to my season tickets (LOL!), I’ll give a report on the event next week, if anyone cares.

69. Comment posted by Joe A. on January 8, 2010 at 10:03 am (#1132228)

Or he just ignored the hype for all of them and formed his own opinions?

71. Comment posted by Lunkwill Fook on January 8, 2010 at 10:04 am (#1132229)

Or he just ignored the hype for all of them and formed his own opinions?

Nah.

73. Comment posted by Dep on January 8, 2010 at 10:04 am (#1132230)

You made that up.

haha, you’d think so…

75. Comment posted by The Mad Stork on January 8, 2010 at 10:04 am (#1132231)

Oooh! That’s a must. I would love to see those!

76. Comment posted by lucienlc on January 8, 2010 at 10:05 am (#1132232)

A lot of people suddenly seem to be high on Allen. Let’s hope he progresses. It would be nice to have some kids in the minors to really be high on, for a change. (Of course, the last time we were really high on a couple of kids, they were Humber and Pelfrey, and we know how well that turned out. sigh.)

78. Comment posted by Dep on January 8, 2010 at 10:05 am (#1132233)

Sickels doesnt do any scouting though

79. Comment posted by Ramon on January 8, 2010 at 10:05 am (#1132234)

LOL. Omar is fucking stupid if he signs a Joel Piniero to pitch for the Mets with a right side of the infield manned by Castillo and Delgado.

I really don’t get WTF management is thinking half of the time. Shit boggles the mind. We will have two heavy sinkerball pitchers in our top 3 with Pelf and Piniero but it doesn’t bother Omar that we will have one of the worse defensive infields around.

81. Comment posted by Lunkwill Fook on January 8, 2010 at 10:05 am (#1132235)

You’d think he’d at least smile or something.

83. Comment posted by Lunkwill Fook on January 8, 2010 at 10:06 am (#1132236)

haha, you’d think so…

Seriously, he didn’t rank him an A- this year, post trade.

85. Comment posted by Dep on January 8, 2010 at 10:07 am (#1132237)

Seriously, he didn’t rank him an A- this year, post trade.

historical ranking

86. Comment posted by Athena on January 8, 2010 at 10:07 am (#1132238)

You’d think he’d at least smile or something.

Yeah. He looked like he was going to kill those players.

87. Comment posted by C needs a LOWenbrau on January 8, 2010 at 10:07 am (#1132239)

hehehe

Kerry Rhodes is clearly a better coverage safety than hitter, but he’s definitely a servicable tackler. He had a couple of nice hits on Chad Johnson last week. However, Chris Carlin of SNY, the Jets’ Channel, doesn’t think much of Rhodes’ hitting ability. “I hit the buffet line harder than he hits anybody,” said Carlin, who also feels Rhodes has no right to go out to NYC after losses.

88. Comment posted by Joe A. on January 8, 2010 at 10:08 am (#1132240)

I think it does bother him. That’s why he’s been trying to trade Castillo for 2 years. But it doesn’t bother him enough to eat Castillo’s contract (as if that is his decision anyway).

90. Comment posted by Lunkwill Fook on January 8, 2010 at 10:08 am (#1132241)

historical ranking

I just looked at his ranking in 08 and it was B+.

92. Comment posted by Dep on January 8, 2010 at 10:09 am (#1132242)

Rhodes is such a homo

older than 08 lunk

93. Comment posted by lucienlc on January 8, 2010 at 10:09 am (#1132243)

Oooh! That’s a must. I would love to see those!

Unfortunately, I’m something of a Luddite, and very computer and digital camera-challenged. I wouldn’t know where to upload (and not sure about the how either).

Plus, at the moment, I’m dealing with a constantly-crashing computer that I must get someone in to fix. I’m just happy it’s working at the moment, but there’s never any telling how long before it crashes again. And when it crashes, it blue-screens and won’t reboot. There’s obviously some kind of hardware/software conflict going on, but I’m clueless about doing anything about it. It won’t even boot up in safe mode. So I’ll get to pay someone oodles of money to sort it out. Lovely. :-(

95. Comment posted by Lunkwill Fook on January 8, 2010 at 10:09 am (#1132244)

07 Ian Kennedy was a B-. I don’t think he was ranked before then.

97. Comment posted by Lunkwill Fook on January 8, 2010 at 10:10 am (#1132245)

By the way, this is how fair BA is.

We can barely get a four star prospect.

The Mariners get a five star prospect in a player that hasn’t played a single pro game.

99. Comment posted by Dep on January 8, 2010 at 10:11 am (#1132246)

h,mmmmm i dont know dude

Sickels ranking of him is like a famous case. i’ve read about it several times

101. Comment posted by Dep on January 8, 2010 at 10:11 am (#1132247)

i’d imagine its possible it was th 08 ranking and he changed it to B+_

103. Comment posted by Lunkwill Fook on January 8, 2010 at 10:11 am (#1132248)

Errrr, not BA. Baseball Prospectus.

105. Comment posted by Lunkwill Fook on January 8, 2010 at 10:12 am (#1132249)

i’d imagine its possible it was th 08 ranking and he changed it to B+_

That’s possible. He does revise rankings if he gets enough feedback.

107. Comment posted by Dep on January 8, 2010 at 10:12 am (#1132250)

ya, we talked about on here me thinks a whiles ago. it was a fun day

109. Comment posted by Dep on January 8, 2010 at 10:13 am (#1132251)

Sickels to me is nothing more than someone who evaluates what other ppl say

he’s a middle man IMO

111. Comment posted by Lunkwill Fook on January 8, 2010 at 10:13 am (#1132252)

hahahah YEah let’s give an A- to a pitcher with no stuff at all. Yet we won’t give any credit to Yusmeiro Petit (who has turned out to be the better pitcher of the two).

113. Comment posted by The Mad Stork on January 8, 2010 at 10:14 am (#1132253)

Daaaayum! I woulda gone Office Space on that bugger a long time ago. Seriously. ;)

115. Comment posted by TLC on January 8, 2010 at 10:14 am (#1132254)

From my glorious source, Siskels is the closest to the organizational internal top 10. I always ignore the grade thing with Siskels because I think hes sometimes talking out of his ass.

117. Comment posted by Dep on January 8, 2010 at 10:14 am (#1132255)

ahhhhh Petit!

The Latino Petitte got away!

119. Comment posted by Lunkwill Fook on January 8, 2010 at 10:15 am (#1132256)

Have you tried complete reinstalling the operating system, Luc?

121. Comment posted by Dep on January 8, 2010 at 10:15 am (#1132257)

haha, i’m not sure if being close to the organizational top 10 is a good thing or bad thing LOL

122. Comment posted by Ed in Westchester on January 8, 2010 at 10:16 am (#1132258)

Right. When you lose, you are supposed to go home and feel shame. You must use one of those things that Opus Dei allegedly uses to draw blood from your legs.

God forbid you should go out and try to put a loss out of your mind.

I bet Chris goes home and cries once the buffet runs out of ribs.

123. Comment posted by MyFavoriteBaseballSquadron on January 8, 2010 at 10:16 am (#1132259)

Lunk do you play ice hockey or just roller hockey?

125. Comment posted by Lunkwill Fook on January 8, 2010 at 10:17 am (#1132260)

Roller hockey. I grew up in the South, not much opportunity to throw on some blades.

127. Comment posted by TLC on January 8, 2010 at 10:17 am (#1132261)

Sickels to me is nothing more than someone who evaluates what other ppl say

he’s a middle man IMO

They all are. Thats how they do it. It all depends when they’re source (i.e scout or other team’s front office guy) saw a certain player. Very few guys are like Scouting the sally.

129. Comment posted by Dep on January 8, 2010 at 10:18 am (#1132262)

rhodes did light up ochocinco, i’ll give him that

hope he brings it tomorrow. we need that fucker

130. Comment posted by lucienlc on January 8, 2010 at 10:19 am (#1132263)

Have you tried complete reinstalling the operating system, Luc?

Lunk — /a/ I don’t know how. /b/ I don’t know if I even have a copy of the operating system (which is Windows XP Pro, btw) to reload. I think it may all have come pre-loaded.

I told you, I’m totally incompetent when it comes to these things. It’s very frustrating.

132. Comment posted by Dep on January 8, 2010 at 10:19 am (#1132264)

I got a stack of discs with my laptop and one of them had a backup copy of the operating system

think maybe you put all that stuff away somewhere?

134. Comment posted by TLC on January 8, 2010 at 10:20 am (#1132265)

Let’s just say there are certain players who are spoken to a lot more than others by the big time guys in our organization (like Omar and Freddy Coupons). Top 7 guys get a lot of love like that

135. Comment posted by MyFavoriteBaseballSquadron on January 8, 2010 at 10:22 am (#1132266)

Have you ever used one of the one piece composite sticks for roller hockey? One of the big sporting goods stores up here has one that’s on sale. I’m thinking of getting it as I’ll probably join an adult hockey (ice) league for next season but I’m going out on some of the frozen ponds in the area tomorrow. The store rep yesterday said he made the switch from wood to composite and loves it. I do have composite shafts (but wooden blades) and I like the feel of those sticks just not sure if the premium of the one piece sticks is worth it.

136. Comment posted by lucienlc on January 8, 2010 at 10:23 am (#1132267)

think maybe you put all that stuff away somewhere?

I just went through the stack of discs that came with my computer, as far as I can tell. There’s a bunch of software programs, drivers, and an “Operating System Recovery CD”, but no Windows XP as far as I can tell. Unless I put it somewhere else, for some reason, which doesn’t seem likely.

138. Comment posted by Dep on January 8, 2010 at 10:27 am (#1132268)

hmmmmmmmm, lunk could that recovery one help?

140. Comment posted by Lunkwill Fook on January 8, 2010 at 10:30 am (#1132269)

I usually use wood. Composite is too rich for my needs.

142. Comment posted by Lunkwill Fook on January 8, 2010 at 10:30 am (#1132270)

That’s the one you want. I assume it’s a Dell?

144. Comment posted by Dep on January 8, 2010 at 10:31 am (#1132271)

TECH THREAD!!!

145. Comment posted by MyFavoriteBaseballSquadron on January 8, 2010 at 10:33 am (#1132272)

I usually use wood. Composite is too rich for my needs.

Yeah the price are ridiculous. This one is only about $70, it’s an outdated model but I don’t care about that. Not paying $250 for the pro level one.

146. Comment posted by Joe A. on January 8, 2010 at 10:33 am (#1132273)

I guees Dierkes missed all those stories about the Mets cutting payroll?

148. Comment posted by Dep on January 8, 2010 at 10:34 am (#1132274)

mannnnn stupid boss is here today

now i gotta tuck in my shirt

d’oh

149. Comment posted by lucienlc on January 8, 2010 at 10:35 am (#1132275)

That’s the one you want. I assume it’s a Dell?

No, it’s not a Dell. It’s an MPC. (Are they still even
    around anymore?)

151. Comment posted by Dep on January 8, 2010 at 10:35 am (#1132276)

I think i’d rather take a shot on sheets or bedard than smoltz….but smoltz is not uninteresting

153. Comment posted by Lunkwill Fook on January 8, 2010 at 10:35 am (#1132277)

Yeah, my general preference is the $15-25 range.

155. Comment posted by Dep on January 8, 2010 at 10:35 am (#1132278)

MASTER CONTROL PROGRAM !!!!

156. Comment posted by Ed in Westchester on January 8, 2010 at 10:36 am (#1132279)

mannnnn stupid boss is here today

now i gotta tuck in my shirt

d’oh

HOW DARE HE!!!!!!

157. Comment posted by Ed in Westchester on January 8, 2010 at 10:37 am (#1132280)

Yeah, my general preference is the $15-25 range.

MYLEC FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!