January 4, 2010

Link Dump: January 4th, 2010
by: The Geeks on Jan 4, 2010 12:10 AM | Filed under: Link Dumps

[08:04 AM] New York Post: Magadan says Bay will fit in perfectly with Mets
[09:32 PM] Mets.com: Inbox: Dissecting the Bay aftermath
[09:14 AM] Amazin’ Avenue: New Year’s Eve Applesauce – More Bay reactions, 2009 Met defense, Aroldis Chapman update
[09:06 AM] Baseball Prospectus: The Year in Quotes: The Highs and Lows of 2009 by Alex Carnevale
[07:00 AM] New York Post: Bay-after: Mets seek starter
[05:10 AM] NY Daily News: Former teammate Sean Casey says New York Mets made right move signing Jason Bay
[10:45 PM] Newsday: My 2010 Hall of Fame ballot
[10:02 PM] Amazin’ Avenue: Ken Davidoff’s 2010 Hall of Fame ballot
[10:01 PM] Amazin’ Avenue: Rockies close to a deal with Olivo, could the Mets turn to Torrealba?
[09:38 PM] New York Times: The Mets Look to Canada
[07:13 PM] Sports Illustrated: Cards make $100M pitch for Holliday

Most headlines aggregated by SportSpyder.

638 Responses to “Link Dump: January 4th, 2010”

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »

1. Comment posted by Lunkwill Fook on January 4, 2010 at 12:29 pm (#1129913)

I assume Biron becomes the scratch which would make it even HARDER to trade him. I agree, Roloson is the one you trade simply because he will bring you something in return.

3. Comment posted by Dep on January 4, 2010 at 12:32 pm (#1129914)

I like Rolo

i’d rather him still b here when DP inevitably is dead by April

5. Comment posted by Lunkwill Fook on January 4, 2010 at 12:35 pm (#1129915)

Yeah, but in the end, you’re not going to win this year and Roloson is an old goalie anyway. Trade him off for something good and either DiPietro is healthy for next season or you find a permanent replacement and start contending.

Nothing hurts an organizational redevelopment process more than thinking you can contend the year before you should be contending.

6. Comment posted by MyFavoriteBaseballSquadron on January 4, 2010 at 12:36 pm (#1129916)

Or having Glen Sather as your GM.

8. Comment posted by Lunkwill Fook on January 4, 2010 at 12:37 pm (#1129917)

Or having Glen Sather as your GM.

Oh, well, that’s fine if you already have Wayne Gretzky and Mark Messier.

10. Comment posted by Lunkwill Fook on January 4, 2010 at 12:38 pm (#1129918)

By the way, that new building in Dubai is… a fucking monster. No other building is even close.

12. Comment posted by Dep on January 4, 2010 at 12:39 pm (#1129919)

meh, its not like Rolo is bringing back a bounty

i agree overall buttttt i’m not setting myself up to Biron being the #1 goalie. which is what would happen.

14. Comment posted by Lunkwill Fook on January 4, 2010 at 12:41 pm (#1129920)

meh, its not like Rolo is bringing back a bounty

He’d be awfully attractive to a playoff bound team that needs a “proven playoff goaltender”. See also the Flyers?

16. Comment posted by Future on January 4, 2010 at 12:41 pm (#1129921)

Congrats Dep. Like I said, I was ignoring this week like it never happened anyways.

Looking back that Chris Johnson pick in this league made a lot of sense over Steven Jackson. If I had been smart and looked at the scoring system he would have been picked over Jackson.

17. Comment posted by Rave on January 4, 2010 at 12:41 pm (#1129922)

Or having Glen Sather as your GM.

Which reminds me, what on GGE is wrong with your team? They couldn’t even get up for the Flyers? (I hate both PA teams more than the 2 NY teams. Which makes Marty’s current pwnage of the Pens especially delicious.)

19. Comment posted by Dep on January 4, 2010 at 12:41 pm (#1129923)

wellll if he could bring something decent back, then i’m open to it

21. Comment posted by Lunkwill Fook on January 4, 2010 at 12:42 pm (#1129924)

Who the fuck knows? One day, they look like a machine. The next, they look like my face on New Year’s Day.

23. Comment posted by Dep on January 4, 2010 at 12:42 pm (#1129925)

haha, thanks yo.

That KC/Charles dude almost brought you all the way back. it was CLOSE. playing your other TE would have won the title for you.

lol…2 of my top picks in this league were LDT and Dwayne Bowe…both proved useless and somehow i got by lololol

lunchtime!

25. Comment posted by Lunkwill Fook on January 4, 2010 at 12:43 pm (#1129926)

wellll if he could bring something decent back, then i’m open to it

Just remember what you have in Roloson: a veteran playoff tested goaltender who’s playing extremely well right now. Don’t forget, he probably would have won a Stanley Cup if he hadn’t blown out his knee.

Plus, considering his age, he’s not going to be this good for much longer.

26. Comment posted by MyFavoriteBaseballSquadron on January 4, 2010 at 12:43 pm (#1129927)

Since when are the Flyers a playoff bound team?

28. Comment posted by Lunkwill Fook on January 4, 2010 at 12:45 pm (#1129928)

Potential suitors for Roloson:

Philly
    Ottawa
    Montreal
    Toronto (if they’re stupid)
    Washington
    Atlanta
    Tampa
    Detroit
    Los Angeles

All of these teams are playoff contenders (except Toronto) but without a strong #1 goaltender.

30. Comment posted by Future on January 4, 2010 at 12:46 pm (#1129929)

IMO, I would have won if the Rams hadn’t been fucktards with Steven Jackson last week. That’s the only thing that bothers me about the process. :)

I should have been smart and just started any other running back because I didn’t even have anyone to play for Jackson at the 4pm slot last week.

32. Comment posted by Lunkwill Fook on January 4, 2010 at 12:46 pm (#1129930)

wellll if he could bring something decent back, then i’m open to it

They are if they think they are (and with their payroll, they have to think playoffs).

33. Comment posted by MyFavoriteBaseballSquadron on January 4, 2010 at 12:48 pm (#1129931)

The Rangers seem to get satisfied very easily with meager success.

4 game win streak coming off a 20 game stretch of playing piss poor? Must mean all is well and they can half ass it.

Already beat the Flyers in their building? Good, they can take them lightly despite the Flyers have an abundance of more talent.

1 win in the last 9 at MSG. Under .500 for the season. At least in year’s past they could do well enough at home to offset god awful road records, especially out West. Seems to me Torts might have to get institute a curfew at home as well.

34. Comment posted by MyFavoriteBaseballSquadron on January 4, 2010 at 12:54 pm (#1129932)

Philly – agree

Ottawa – I think they stand pat with Pascal Leclaire

Montreal – They’d give Halak a shot at being the outright #1 before a trade

Toronto (if they’re stupid) – They’re saddled with a woeful pair of goalies but I think they want to see what Gustavsson has first

Washington – Strong possibility

Atlanta – I think they stick with Pavelec or focus on the Kovalchuk situation

Tampa – I thought Niittymaki was doing pretty well

Detroit – Maybe

Los Angeles – I think they’re satisfied with their goaltending

35. Comment posted by Ed in Westchester on January 4, 2010 at 12:57 pm (#1129933)

Didn’t Blanco basically fail his physical? But we signed him anyway, just for less money.

Omar claims that stories to this effect are lies written by people out for his job.

36. Comment posted by Ed in Westchester on January 4, 2010 at 12:57 pm (#1129934)

w00t w00t

THE PRODIGAL SON RETURNS!

I do not like this.
    He should have played a couple of more games in Bridgeport.

37. Comment posted by Ed in Westchester on January 4, 2010 at 1:06 pm (#1129935)

Trade Roloson.

Biron signed a 2 yr deal. He will be the backup.

This is part of the problem with recalling DP now. Gordon needs to now juggle 3 goalies, when he has had a hard time juggling 2.

I could see them trading Biron, rolling with Rolo, and having DP as the backup this season.
    but then you need a good back up next year. The 2009 2nd round pick from Sweden, who was playing in Bridgport blew out his hip (surgery performed by the guy who operated on A-Rod, Snow, Sillinger and DP), so he is done for the year, hurting his development.

39. Comment posted by Lunkwill Fook on January 4, 2010 at 1:13 pm (#1129936)

Tampa – I thought Niittymaki was doing pretty well

Atlanta – I think they stick with Pavelec or focus on the Kovalchuk situation

Los Angeles – I think they’re satisfied with their goaltending

Ottawa – I think they stand pat with Pascal Leclaire

See, teams like these, it’s not that they don’t have goaltenders: it’s that they don’t have playoff-tested goaltenders and that tends to matter to GMs around the league.

41. Comment posted by DL on January 4, 2010 at 1:30 pm (#1129937)

iggles-jets superbowl

it could happen!

42. Comment posted by Joe A. on January 4, 2010 at 1:32 pm (#1129938)

43. Comment posted by Rave on January 4, 2010 at 1:34 pm (#1129939)

Francessa is still refusing to give the Jets any credit. Why am I listening to this again?

44. Comment posted by sheadenizen on January 4, 2010 at 1:38 pm (#1129940)

He was right about Bay. Sure hope it’s not the Molina signing. Hope it relates to pitching.

46. Comment posted by Dep on January 4, 2010 at 1:39 pm (#1129941)

oh boy

dont be molina!

48. Comment posted by Dep on January 4, 2010 at 1:40 pm (#1129942)

are other pplz listening? good

cuz i cant do it today!

i also keep an eye on fugz if ppl dont want to listen

they will pick up on anything he says

49. Comment posted by Ed in Westchester on January 4, 2010 at 1:41 pm (#1129943)

is he doing the same shit as last week?
    He was killing the jets for not being more humble.

I mean, why should the Jets say anything about how the media is counting them out?

HOW DARE THEY?

50. Comment posted by MyFavoriteBaseballSquadron on January 4, 2010 at 1:41 pm (#1129944)

When was the last time a rental goalie sparked a team on a long playoff run? Actually to answer my own question it was Roloson on the Oilers the first year after the lockout. Otherwise, teams like Atlanta and LA that have young goalies cutting their teeth at the NHL level I think are inclined to letting their goalies sink or swim in the playoffs. The Pens stuck with a not so highly regarded MA Fleury in their first legit shot at the Cup and the Canes rode an untested Cam Ward to the Cup. It would be great if the Rangers could swing a trade to get Roloson – not happening in any way/shape/form – just to have a reliable goalie to spell Lundqvist. Maybe Columbus acquires him to put the fear into Mason? The Flyers and Caps remain the strongest bets, especially given the Emery’s injury and he’s only a 1 year deal as well so they’re not supplanting any developing goalie.

52. Comment posted by Dep on January 4, 2010 at 1:43 pm (#1129945)

I do not like this.
    He should have played a couple of more games in Bridgeport.

i dont think he could’ve stayed without some waiver process

there was a time limit

53. Comment posted by Ed in Westchester on January 4, 2010 at 1:48 pm (#1129946)

I thought he had another week. It was a 2 week conditioning stint.

I could be wrong.

55. Comment posted by Dep on January 4, 2010 at 1:49 pm (#1129947)

naw i dont know either fo sure

57. Comment posted by Lunkwill Fook on January 4, 2010 at 1:52 pm (#1129948)

Well, Fleury they groomed slowly to be their #1 goaltender. It’s not like he showed up overnight like guys like Pavelec. Cam Ward is definitely an interesting study.

58. Comment posted by Kneel Before Zod! on January 4, 2010 at 1:53 pm (#1129949)

nice

hope it’s a pitcher or two

60. Comment posted by Dep on January 4, 2010 at 1:54 pm (#1129950)

peep this

62. Comment posted by DL on January 4, 2010 at 1:55 pm (#1129951)

lol this francesa thing better not be a big z trade

64. Comment posted by Dep on January 4, 2010 at 1:56 pm (#1129952)

lol this francesa thing better not be a big z trade

lol

i hope not

i liked your football post last nite.. good stuff

65. Comment posted by Rave on January 4, 2010 at 1:57 pm (#1129953)

Francessa: The last legitimate game the Jets played, they lost. They can’t even beat the Falcons!!!
    (repeated 7 times in the 15mins. I’ve been listening)

67. Comment posted by Dep on January 4, 2010 at 1:57 pm (#1129954)

Squad, i’m itching for a little hockey

maybe not tonight, but we gotta play this week!

69. Comment posted by Dep on January 4, 2010 at 1:57 pm (#1129955)

(repeated 7 times in the 15mins. I’ve been listening)

they can hate on us all they want

70. Comment posted by Kneel Before Zod! on January 4, 2010 at 1:59 pm (#1129956)

(repeated 7 times in the 15mins. I’ve been listening)

so dumb and transparent

I NEED SOMETHING TO TALK ABOUT PLEASE CALL ME!! BOOMER AND CARTON HAVE BETTER RATINGS!!!

72. Comment posted by DL on January 4, 2010 at 2:00 pm (#1129957)

i liked your football post last nite.. good stuff

lol

i always root for gang green unless they play my team. i don’t get giants fans who don’t like the jets, this isn’t mets/yankees

73. Comment posted by Kneel Before Zod! on January 4, 2010 at 2:01 pm (#1129958)

if delgado shows he can play, gotta sign that bro

74. Comment posted by MyFavoriteBaseballSquadron on January 4, 2010 at 2:01 pm (#1129959)

Squad, i’m itching for a little hockey

maybe not tonight, but we gotta play this week!

Tomorrow night perhaps. I’ll be watching the Rangers drop another 2-1 snoozefest tonight and then might attend the horror show on Wed.

76. Comment posted by Dep on January 4, 2010 at 2:01 pm (#1129960)

lol

hahaha

the part that got me was the lets fuckin go

i would have been pumped :)

78. Comment posted by Dep on January 4, 2010 at 2:02 pm (#1129961)

koo koo

most nites outside of tonight should be good on my end

80. Comment posted by DL on January 4, 2010 at 2:03 pm (#1129962)

i do have to wonder though

did sanchize do anything last night?

81. Comment posted by sheadenizen on January 4, 2010 at 2:04 pm (#1129963)

me, too DL. I would suspect that most NYers are rooting for the Jets.

83. Comment posted by Dep on January 4, 2010 at 2:04 pm (#1129964)

Mike Francesa is Keeping Secrets Again

Quote:
    by MATTHEW CERRONE, MetsBlog

Host Mike Francesa ended his show on WFAN last Tuesday saying he would soon have a ‘Mets update,’ and he later broke news that the Mets and Jason Bay had agreed to a four-year deal.

Today, Francesa is at it again, opening his show by saying, “I think you’ll be getting some more Mets news here later in the week, but we’ll get to that later in the show… Jason Bay press conference is tomorrow, but there’s more to come.”

…i agree… like i said last tuesday, here, “In my conversations with people close to the team, I believe they might be getting close to an acquisition or two, and they are ‘hoping’ to make news at some point soon after the New Year… it seems like something is brewing.”…

…i’m thinking they’re either close to signing a catcher, or trading for a pitcher, or both, since, from what i can gather, that is what they’ve been working on… who, i have no idea… but, it sounds to me like the goal has been to be try and trade for a legitimate No. 2 pitcher, before turning to the free-agent market… there are deals out there to be had, and teams with whom the Mets fit with, but, from what i understand, everyone involved, including the Mets, need to make preliminary moves, or lay ground work, in order for them to happen… and so, things are complicated…

…so, yet again, francesa has us on the hook, waiting patiently… nice work, mike…

85. Comment posted by Dep on January 4, 2010 at 2:04 pm (#1129965)

ALSO

there’s a story going around that the mets ownership/mgmt are absolutely livid with how all the local ragz are treating the team

and payback is cutting off all reporters and feeding breaking news type stuff to fatty instead

87. Comment posted by Dep on January 4, 2010 at 2:05 pm (#1129966)

hmmmmmmmm

i have a feeling its molina

but lets hope not!

88. Comment posted by Rave on January 4, 2010 at 2:08 pm (#1129967)

OK, I can’t listen to Francessa and the poor Jets fans who keep rising to his bait anymore.
    Cerrone does have his uses….

89. Comment posted by MyFavoriteBaseballSquadron on January 4, 2010 at 2:09 pm (#1129968)

ALSO

Why do they care, they banned the papers in the clubhouse anyway.

90. Comment posted by sheadenizen on January 4, 2010 at 2:09 pm (#1129969)

The Wilpons need to look in the mirror before casting aspersions on anyone, but that being said…I could see how they could be angry at the local press. The fact that nothing leaks tell me the Wilpons are the leakers…..lol!

92. Comment posted by Dep on January 4, 2010 at 2:11 pm (#1129970)

Cerrone does have his uses….

ya no need

i’ll get the info as soon as it hits

94. Comment posted by DL on January 4, 2010 at 2:11 pm (#1129971)

yeah cause fatty has so many good things to say about us

96. Comment posted by Lunkwill Fook on January 4, 2010 at 2:12 pm (#1129972)

MEDIA WAR!!!!!

This could only go well.

98. Comment posted by Dep on January 4, 2010 at 2:13 pm (#1129973)

yeah cause fatty has so many good things to say about us

lol!

99. Comment posted by sheadenizen on January 4, 2010 at 2:13 pm (#1129974)

MEDIA WAR!!!!!

This could only go well.

hahahahaha!

100. Comment posted by Joe A. on January 4, 2010 at 2:15 pm (#1129975)

That sounds more like Omar than the Wilpons. And I like it, except the media can probably keep up their end of the feud longer than Omar can keep his job.

101. Comment posted by MyFavoriteBaseballSquadron on January 4, 2010 at 2:15 pm (#1129976)

I’d be more than ok if The Media stops reporting on the Mets if 2010 goes the way I think it’s going to go.

102. Comment posted by fattlipp on January 4, 2010 at 2:16 pm (#1129977)

:: snicker ::

104. Comment posted by Dep on January 4, 2010 at 2:16 pm (#1129978)

Bay will wear #44

106. Comment posted by Dep on January 4, 2010 at 2:17 pm (#1129979)

what was the nickname we came up with last week? the one that was funny

i cant remember it now

107. Comment posted by Rave on January 4, 2010 at 2:18 pm (#1129980)

Bay-Rut

109. Comment posted by Lunkwill Fook on January 4, 2010 at 2:18 pm (#1129981)

Tatisis? :)

110. Comment posted by MyFavoriteBaseballSquadron on January 4, 2010 at 2:18 pm (#1129982)

Bay-rut?

112. Comment posted by Dep on January 4, 2010 at 2:20 pm (#1129983)

ahhhhh yes Bay-Rut

heehee

ok still made me giggle

thanks

114. Comment posted by Dep on January 4, 2010 at 2:20 pm (#1129984)

Tatisis? :)

bwahahahahahaha

115. Comment posted by Ed in Westchester on January 4, 2010 at 2:21 pm (#1129985)

they can hate on us all they want

HOW DARE THEY!!!

116. Comment posted by MyFavoriteBaseballSquadron on January 4, 2010 at 2:21 pm (#1129986)

If Bay’s D is as bad as advertised and he Holliday’s a line drive or DMurph’s a flyball we can call him E-Bay as well.

117. Comment posted by fattlipp on January 4, 2010 at 2:21 pm (#1129987)

good for john mara…

“I’m probably as disappointed as I’ve ever been in my life at this team.”

“There are 8-8 seasons … but this one felt a lot more like 2-14 to me.”

Mara on coaches: “The status quo is not acceptable.” Later said it would be tough to swallow if TC said he wanted to keep staff intact.

119. Comment posted by Dep on January 4, 2010 at 2:22 pm (#1129988)

HOW DARE THEY!!!

boom!

121. Comment posted by Dep on January 4, 2010 at 2:22 pm (#1129989)

hahahaha

i’m sure i’ll resort to calling him MASTA at some point

122. Comment posted by Rave on January 4, 2010 at 2:23 pm (#1129990)

Bay is #44, Escobar is #45.

Charlie isn’t kidding around. I hope he doesn’t hesitate to hand over #47 to some schlub as well — Igarashi perhaps?

123. Comment posted by fattlipp on January 4, 2010 at 2:24 pm (#1129991)

Ha! Post headline-in-waiting fosho.

124. Comment posted by sheadenizen on January 4, 2010 at 2:25 pm (#1129992)

“There are 8-8 seasons … but this one felt a lot more like 2-14 to me.”

Totally agree.
    And I want Offensive AND Defensive coordinators gone.

126. Comment posted by DL on January 4, 2010 at 2:25 pm (#1129993)

sheridan must go, if coughlin wants to keep him he should go too

127. Comment posted by sheadenizen on January 4, 2010 at 2:27 pm (#1129994)

sheridan must go, if coughlin wants to keep him he should go too

Yup!

128. Comment posted by fattlipp on January 4, 2010 at 2:27 pm (#1129995)

more mara 4u shea…

“I don’t think I’ll ever get over the last two weeks”

“I’m disappointed in everything. I’m unhappy at everybody. It’s just not acceptable.”

“We did have some injuries but I don’t think we had catastrophic injuries.”

mara’s getting major props for telling it like it is, instead of pussy-footing like coughlin and reese did before him.

130. Comment posted by Dep on January 4, 2010 at 2:29 pm (#1129996)

“and to make it up to all of you fans, here are NEKKID pictures of my daughter”

find that one!

132. Comment posted by Dep on January 4, 2010 at 2:30 pm (#1129997)

hahahahahaha

BOMB-BAY for home runs

133. Comment posted by fattlipp on January 4, 2010 at 2:30 pm (#1129998)

find that one!

I would never presume to upstage the emperor of the nsfw universe.

134. Comment posted by Danny on January 4, 2010 at 2:31 pm (#1129999)

The leaks also seemed to lessen after Devilzard left the team I’M JUST SAYIN’

135. Comment posted by fattlipp on January 4, 2010 at 2:31 pm (#1130000)

woohoo! go mara!

“When u have that many games where u r blown out, there’s something wrong & something needs 2b done.”

136. Comment posted by sheadenizen on January 4, 2010 at 2:31 pm (#1130001)

Being in Atlanta, I did not (thankfully) get to see the last 2 games of the season. But all I needed to see were the scores. It was beyond disappointing. It was beyond embarrassing. If I hadn’t seen a few….you should pardon the expression…”highlights,” I would have sworn they didn’t even show up at the stadium.

138. Comment posted by Lunkwill Fook on January 4, 2010 at 2:32 pm (#1130002)

Of course, if he does something incredible, like homer in consecutive games or, I dunno, spends two months on the DL, we’ll have a Bay-watch.

139. Comment posted by MyFavoriteBaseballSquadron on January 4, 2010 at 2:32 pm (#1130003)

hahahahahaha

BOMB-BAY for home runs

Invalid, it’s now called Mumbai.

140. Comment posted by Ed in Westchester on January 4, 2010 at 2:35 pm (#1130004)

Tatisis?

sounds painful

141. Comment posted by fattlipp on January 4, 2010 at 2:36 pm (#1130005)

heyman

adrian beltre’s choosing between 3 teams. 1 is boston, another may be oakland. the 3rd? twins? cardinals? not positive.

142. Comment posted by fattlipp on January 4, 2010 at 2:37 pm (#1130006)

sounds painful

meh. mets medical staff is on it. day to day.

143. Comment posted by Ed in Westchester on January 4, 2010 at 2:40 pm (#1130007)

“and to make it up to all of you fans, here are NEKKID pictures of my daughter”

hahahahaha

145. Comment posted by DL on January 4, 2010 at 2:43 pm (#1130008)

i like how the knicks won a game by like 50 pts yesterday but the de facto game thread title is “OMFG GALLO!”

147. Comment posted by Dep on January 4, 2010 at 2:46 pm (#1130009)

GREATEST DUNK EVAH SINCE 1973!!!

it wasnt even all that. it was nice, but come on. those fans are a joke

149. Comment posted by DL on January 4, 2010 at 2:49 pm (#1130010)

those dudes love their italian stallion

151. Comment posted by Dep on January 4, 2010 at 3:02 pm (#1130011)

the dismount was funny

i love the faces he makes

153. Comment posted by DL on January 4, 2010 at 3:09 pm (#1130012)

the dismount and faces are so so WHITE

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »