July 10, 2009

How to Watch a Ballgame When Your Team Loses 11-2
by: Alex Nelson on Jul 10, 2009 8:52 AM | Filed under: Articles

So, I had the misfortune of going to the Mets game last night. In case you didn’t notice, Livan Hernandez got bombed, the Mets offense was quiet once again, and the Mets lost 11-2. And as I was sitting there in the first inning, the Mets down four runs already, a thought came to me, the same thought that has come to me in the first couple innings often lately: this team is unwatchable.

When you’re at home and the team is unwatchable, all you have to do is change the channel. But what do you do when you’re at the ballpark, short of just throwing your hard-earned, well-spent money away by leaving early? This was the dilemma I faced last night. So, I figured I’d share with you all some of the things I thought of to distract myself from the Mets’ utter ineptitude.

Watch the game in style.

Now, this isn’t an option for everybody. 99% of the time it isn’t an option for me. It can be very expensive to grab good seats, and the great ones are virtually impossible to sneak into. But last night I was extremely fortunate—my uncle’s business partner is an advertiser at Citi Field and has six Ebbet’s Club seats. We were lucky enough to get some freebies.

The views are wonderful, you’re close to the field without feeling caged, and lines are virtually non-existent: you have your own bar. concession area, and bathrooms. It really is gorgeous.

Like I said, this isn’t really advice, but if you have friends in high places or tons of cash to spend (waste), it’s not a bad way to spend a night, regardless of the product on the field. And if you’re going to watch the Mets right now, you might as well be comfortable.

Take a walk.

Citi Field is a beautiful ballpark, and, both to its advantage and detriment, the Mets included some of the modern frills that distract from the game. Last night, it was nothing but an advantage. The atmosphere is extremely family friendly, and the open concourses mean you can walk around and check out how everyone else sees the game.

Take a trip behind the scoreboard to sample a concession item you haven’t digested yet. Hunt for the best bang-for-your-buck seats. Commandeer the whiffle ball field. See how many free G-Force posters you can score. Shed some calories. Do anything but watch Fernando Tatis flounder at the plate yet again.

Appreciate the little things.

My father is a Dodger fan, so he was pretty happy last night—and he’s very quiet and un-obnoxious about it—so, while I would have enjoyed a Mets victory, him seeing his first Dodgers game since Mickey Hatcher was still playing made the whole experience quite a bit more tolerable for me.

There are still plenty of things you can watch that can bring you some sense of joy. You just have to be willing to appreciate the small victories: another David Wright multi-hit game, a Gary Sheffield double, a rare defensive gem by Luis Castillo. The game may be lost, and the team may be horrible, but maybe on the atomic level something more interesting is happening.

Get plastered.

I was driving last night, so I really couldn’t, but if you saved your pennies (or twenty-dollar bills, I suppose) for beer, it’s not hard to fashion an in-the-ballpark drinking game. Everytime a plane flies overhead, take a sip. Some insipid fan nearby says something stupid (my favorite from last night: “Isn’t Darryl Strawberry dead?”)? Take a sip. Dan Warthen comes out for a mound conference? Take two. Use your imagination.

Find other things to cheer.

Hey, the umps usually only take abuse. Give one of them his due, make him feel loved. There a great usher around? Let him know. You like that vendor below, the one who calls out, “Hot dogs! Wieners! Frankfurters!” in that gravelly voice? Raise a cheer.

Last night, I can say that we got Anthony the bat boy to take a curtain call. And we weren’t even cheering Anthony—he almost never got up, so we chided him as a lazy good-for-nothing. We were really cheering Jimmy the ball boy. Every time he got up to retrieve a ball, we went wild. Before we knew it, the entire section was chanting “Jimmy’s got balls!” I caught Jimmy sneaking a few glances in our direction, but for the most part he was the consummate professional, taking in the accolades silently, his head down as he jogged after stray ball after stray ball.

Don’t let the Mets ruin your day at the ballpark. Make your day a blast no matter what happens on the field. If you all have any other ideas, write ‘em in the comments below.

8 Responses to “How to Watch a Ballgame When Your Team Loses 11-2”

1. Comment posted by Ed in Westchester on July 10, 2009 at 8:57 am (#1029864)

LOL Alex

“Jimmy’s got balls!” is classic

For my drinking games, I prefer chugging at each Mets error.

does get expensive though…

3. Comment posted by MetsFanSince71 on July 10, 2009 at 9:00 am (#1029865)

haha, this is a very witty and cool piece, Alex!
    thanks for sharing!

5. Comment posted by MetsFanSince71 on July 10, 2009 at 9:01 am (#1029866)

For my drinking games, I prefer chugging at each Mets error.

wow, so you can literally get drunk in a single inning!! :))

6. Comment posted by Danny on July 10, 2009 at 10:41 am (#1029912)

LOL Alex

This is so good. For my Citi experience this year, I met up with some notable Geeks and we smuggled everybody into the Caesar Club during a rain delay and partied until they kicked us out after the game was over.

I’m told the Mets lost the game.

You have to make the best of a bleak season. The cost is a bit prohibitive though. It doesn’t bother me because I only make it once a year being an out-of-towner, but damn, it’s expensive to go to a game there.

7. Comment posted by The Gooch on July 10, 2009 at 10:49 am (#1029918)

The Mets are like Danny DeVito and the Yankees are like Arnold in Twins. This team isnt taken seriously for a reason… The Wilpons have to be the worst owners in baseball, at least since Marge Schott is long gone.

8. Comment posted by Athena on July 10, 2009 at 11:32 am (#1029947)

Awesome article, Alex! And it contains some excellent advice. Like you and Danny, I highly recommend strolling around the beautiful concourse and finding the many, many places to overindulge in alcohol. The “private” clubs are awesome, but there are plenty of places to drink and hang around that are open to everyone.

I was there on Monday and wandered up to the Pepsi Porch for the first time. Nice place to watch a couple of innings and on a sunny day you can’t ask for a better outdoor bar.

Thanks for taking the time to look for positives. We really need them!

9. Comment posted by Nj on July 10, 2009 at 3:22 pm (#1030144)

I refuse to go to Citifield. The Mets really blew it with the tik prices and this horrible team.

I watch @ home and now hope for them to lose so they can fire everyone.

CB Park is much cheaper and more fun IMO. and the Phillies have a real team

10. Comment posted by mookie03 on July 10, 2009 at 4:05 pm (#1030168)

I’m told the Mets lost the game.

This is exactly it! I have to say, I’ve seen some pretty bad games this year and yet, none feel quite as bad as some of the losses i experienced at Shea.

Citi is truly a great place to watch a ballgame. And even if I’m not so drunk i need to be told they lost the game, i am often too distracted to really care. I’ve had a lot of fun at Citi this year and they’ve lost more than they’ve won (and the games have been pretty brutal to watch).

It scares me to think how horrendous this season would be to experience at Shea.

That said, damn this team is boring!