April 22, 2009

What this team needs
by: JamesSC on Apr 22, 2009 9:31 AM | Filed under: Journals

So after I went to bed last night in disgust grumbling something to my wife about “never rooting for these damn (*$*% again” (like she has never heard that before), I got to thinking about what in the world are we going to do about this team that is remotely feasible fix where we seem to be going.  Sure, we could try to get a Halliday or Peavy added to the team (anyone else worried about adding either of those guys for a long term deal?), but that is more dream than reality most likely.

However, when I was looking at the list of probable starters this morning I stumbled upon Darren Oliver, and I realized that THAT is what we are missing right now.  No, not Darren Oliver specifically, but what Darren provided us in 2006.  A guy who can play in 45-50 games in the year, give you 2-3 innings an appearance and make up for the bullpen issues we are going to have trying to get Ollie/Maine/Pelfrey through the season and make up for all of our 5 inning starts we are going to have this year. One big difference in this year’s formula and what we had in 2006 is having a guy that can step in in the 5th inning for a guy like Ollie and then throw 3 innings and get you into the 7th or 8th inning keeping you in the game.  Not expecting perfection, but a guy that can hold the other team down enough that we can save the bullpen and give our team a chance to come back.

Maybe Redding can be that guy, but we need a veteran guy who can fill that roll badly as we are never going to be a team that gets our starters to the 7th inning regularly.

8 Responses to “What this team needs”

1. Comment posted by Danny on April 22, 2009 at 10:16 am (#960032)

Figueroa is perfect for the role. He’s much better the first time through the order and he has a rubber arm.

We don’t really appreciate him so much though. Apparently Casey Fossum can provide more value.

2. Comment posted by JamesSC on April 22, 2009 at 10:46 am (#960057)

Danny, I would have said the same thing, but he is no longer a Met right? Didn’t we lose him?

3. Comment posted by Danny on April 22, 2009 at 1:58 pm (#960347)

We designated him for assignment. If no one claims him, Figs has the option to accept his assignment to AAA at Buffalo or become a free agent. With the way we just gave him one freaking day after he gave us a QS, I do wonder if he wants to still be here.

I hope so. I really think he can help us.

4. Comment posted by Gina on April 22, 2009 at 2:57 pm (#960408)

The problem is if they didn’t think Figueroa was worth keeping over adding fossum, why would they suddenly decide he’s worthy of having a huge pretty significant role like that? I mean personally I agree that we desperately need a long man with the state of our rotation after Johan and that Figueroa would be well equipped for the job but the front office doesn’t seem to think as highly of him, or seem to think we need one consistent long man.

5. Comment posted by JamesSC on April 22, 2009 at 5:03 pm (#960468)

I have been extremely disappointed in Jerry so far this year and his handling of the bullpen, I understood why he managed this way last year where he was doing anything and everything possible to prevent a collapse and doing what he could (even if I didn’t agree with all of his choices, I understood where he was going). But it just makes NO sense to me at all how we are handling our pen this year. It is only fucking april and we are pulling in and out guys all over the place and having two and three people warming up all over the place. A good start is important, but it is like this team is fighting to not lose instead of trying to win.

6. Comment posted by Gina on April 22, 2009 at 8:41 pm (#960546)

I agree James, at this rate our bullpen is going to be exhausted by June.

7. Comment posted by fanadamets on April 24, 2009 at 3:45 pm (#962514)

The real quesion is why did the team’s management think that starting pitching didn’t need to be retooled. We have 4 pitchers who all fall into the category “you don’t know what you are going to get on any given night”.
    Now that Luis Castillo is hitting, he becomes a potentially attractive in a trade. Let’s deal him off to get a top notch pitcher. And you throw in any one of the three pathetic excuses for a major league pitcher who are masquerading around Citi Field these days.

8. Comment posted by Gina on April 25, 2009 at 1:55 am (#963226)

Eh I doubt Castillo is that attractive. I can’t imagine many teams are going to let a few hot weeks override a few years of a noticeable decline and bad knees, plus with the economy few teams are looking to take on contracts like his.