October 9, 2008

Is Manny a New York Kind of Guy?

So, the season is over. It hurts, of course, but now we can delve into the exciting world of off-season baseball! Trades, free agents, arbitration, oh my! Although we wish our Mets were playing baseball right now, we have to hope that the organization and front office is doing all they can to make sure that the best team possible is on the field in April. So I’d like to run through some off-season issues and use this as a thread for everyone to continue to ponder as to what the Mets should do to improve our team.

First, let’s look at the money coming off of the books this winter, namely the contracts of Pedro Martinez, Moises Alou, and Orlando Hernandez. With the new stadium about to unveil in a few months and tickets prices increasing exponentially, the front office has no business not spending money to improve this team. The farm system will most likely have no immediate impact players for 2009 that we have not already seen in 2008, so improvement of the club for the upcoming season must come from elsewhere. So we have a lot of money and we have a team that seems to be one or two pieces away from being World Series contenders. What do you do?

My first thought after Ryan Church’s flyball fell into Cameron Maybin’s glove was of Manny Ramirez. I was tired of an inconsistent offense, and I was tired of watching Church fail over and over. Ryan had the worst full season of his entire career. I was imagining finally getting Manny and letting him be the savior, the star, the shining light. But now I am not so sure whether this is the right decision. What will Manny bring to the team? Probably just OPS over .900 consistently over the course of his career with the Mets. He’ll probably just be a media darling. He’ll probably join Reyes, Beltran, Wright, and Delgado as the most powerful 1-5 lineup combination in baseball. He’ll probably just hit 30 homeruns, be a beast in the post-season, and have everyone in New York wearing Manny jerseys.

But why would we want that? Let’s go get K-Rod and Sabathia instead. Francisco Rodriguez had 62 saves this year. 62! Ignore the fact that he was coming off his worst season in years. Ignore the fact that his WHIP was higher than Mike Lincoln’s and Edwar Ramirez’s. Let’s just go ahead and throw the bank at him. Because that is what desperation is. When a situation takes a whole of you like the closer situation has for the Mets, giving in is never the answer. Signing K-Rod to the deal that he is going to want is not the answer. It would be a mistake. The Mets have better options in either signing another reliever for less or trading for one, or even giving Joe Smith the opportunity.

I do not think CC Sabathia is the answer either. He is another guy who is going to be asking for the moon and won’t live up to his Brewers performance, unless the Mets 2009 schedule has them playing the Pirates and Padres every other day. Sabathia is the free agent equivalent of Pam Anderson after she just got done with Kid Rock and Tommy Lee: damaged goods. His body frame is not one that should be able to sustain pitching on three days rest for half a season, and considering the change of division and how the AL handled him in 2008, this seems like it could be a big mistake.

On Manny, I do not think the Mets can give him five years and I wouldn’t advocate it. I would propose, though, that a three-year deal with a team option for a fourth would be fine as long as the deal did not go past the $53-$55 million mark over the first three years. Manny is from New York and has succeeded wherever he’s gone. And he also just hit .396 and slugged .743 in almost 200 at-bats in the NL this year. Get a new catcher, get some relievers, get a fifth reliever, and move Daniel Murphy over to second. But most importantly, get Manny.

21 Responses to “Is Manny a New York Kind of Guy?”

1. Comment posted by Dave in Spain on October 9, 2008 at 2:50 am (#875201)

When a situation takes a whole of you

=takes a hold…???

2. Comment posted by Dave in Spain on October 9, 2008 at 3:00 am (#875203)

Ryan had the worst full season of his entire career.

Come on, did you watch the first half of the season? He had two concussions and had trouble coming back from them. Will he be fully recovered next year? Nobody knows, but he deserves a mulligan based on pre-DL performance–which was great.

3. Comment posted by littlefallsmets on October 9, 2008 at 4:08 am (#875204)

If you could get him for two years, sure, I’d be all for it.

But you can’t. Age is age, especially when the chemicals are around less which used to mitigate it.

He might well be a physical specimen enough to hold up as a HITTER for four more years but, Christ, he can barely field even now.

Pass.

Pass on counting on Church as a full-time player, too. A nice streak to begin the season aside, he still looks like a guy who’d need to, say, platoon with a healthy Tatis.

4. Comment posted by Ed in Westchester 2 on October 9, 2008 at 8:33 am (#875207)

CC pitched on 3 days rest for 1/2 a season?

Exaggerate much? It was 2 weeks.

Try Joe Smith as closer?

Dude, come on.

5. Comment posted by tm on October 9, 2008 at 8:43 am (#875210)

Joe Smith would be an excellent closer. As long as the opposing manager was nice enough to not use any left handed hitters.

6. Comment posted by sheadenizen on October 9, 2008 at 9:20 am (#875221)

The downside of signing Manny (along with the obvious ones….age, years, money) is probably that if the Mets do sign him, Delgado is gone. Spending the money on Manny means the Mets need to replace other parts via the trade route. Delgado will presumably be part of a deal. And don’t forget that $5/6M coming off the books is already allocated to raises for Wright, Reyes and others.

In this scary economic environment, the Wilpons may be more reticent to allow payroll to soar. I don’t have a clue as to what the Wilpons are willing to spend…nor do any of us, but we need to keep our priorities in order. I’m not opposed to Manny in general, but at the expense of Ollie? a closer? new middle relief? Those are the questions that need to be answered.

7. Comment posted by speednpower on October 9, 2008 at 11:47 am (#875276)

Although Boras says he will ask for 5 years, I’d like to wait to see if Manny wants such a contract. Its obvious he would like as big a pay day as possible, but he indicated yesterday that he doesn’t know if he wants to play 5 years. I’m usually in favor of going younger, but Manny would be a force for this lineup like it has never had. When the rest of the team can’t buy a hit, Manny can.

8. Comment posted by Hubie on October 9, 2008 at 12:43 pm (#875352)

Shea, I think you hit the nail on the head here. I don’t see the wilpons opening up the vault given this economic environment, especially any deals beyond 3 years. You don’t want to have long-term deals and face a contraction in your revenue bae, which is possible after 2009.

I foolishly tried to explain this point to some morons at mets blog.

9. Comment posted by sheadenizen on October 9, 2008 at 12:52 pm (#875357)

foolish indeed, Hubie….lol!

10. Comment posted by Ed in Westchester 2 on October 9, 2008 at 3:37 pm (#875446)

I foolishly tried to explain this point to some morons at mets blog.

but Hubie, if you budget wisely, there is no reason you should have to stop going to baseball games.

yes, I saw the same thread and tried to help. People there be dumb.

11. Comment posted by Hubie on October 9, 2008 at 4:12 pm (#875481)

I agree Ed. I am splitting my season with 4 others and possibly a 5th, so considering I am quite frugal, this is affordable for me.

And as the Dow and Nasdaq continue to drop like a-bombs and GM and other companies continue to tank its not a good year to be a free agent in baseball.

13. Comment posted by MetsFanSince71 on October 9, 2008 at 7:17 pm (#875527)

Manny = WS at CitiField in ‘09

(and probably beyond)

14. Comment posted by brahmabull754 on October 9, 2008 at 7:22 pm (#875528)

Two years, $50 million.

16. Comment posted by Simons on October 9, 2008 at 9:04 pm (#875565)

LMAO, well done tm

I’m willing to overpay for Manny. I think he will hold up in his late 30s better than most. We don’t have prospects to trade for a corner OF and I wouldn’t count on Tatis-Evans-Pagan-Nixon-Anderson-Can’t-Remember over in left either.

17. Comment posted by sheadenizen on October 9, 2008 at 10:47 pm (#875675)

lol! I’m with you. I wouldn’t count on them either, but you can be sure that Omar will give Tatis at least a 2 year contract. That’s just who Omar is. he never learns.

18. Comment posted by sjp on October 10, 2008 at 9:53 am (#875718)

Dude - you even watch the Met’s this season. Church was the only bright spot before giving up his body for the team. Right of the bat - your article is weak!

getting Manny and letting him be the savior, the star, the shining light

Manny no= shiny light!

I vote an emphatic no and my opinion counts more than anyone. I never want Manny on the mets. that would be a dark dark day. Selling your souls is not what make a baseball team great.

19. Comment posted by Ed in Westchester 2 on October 10, 2008 at 10:18 am (#875733)

I vote an emphatic no and my opinion counts more than anyone.

Is this Jeff Wilpon in disguise?

20. Comment posted by Pat Andriola on October 10, 2008 at 1:22 pm (#875891)

Yes, and I thank him for giving up his body for the team, but the team didn’t make the playoffs and now he is a little better than league average in RF. We deserve better.

21. Comment posted by BiggieSmalls on October 10, 2008 at 3:48 pm (#875950)

three years I can agree with but he is not coming at 55 mil for those three years. that is less per than he gave up in the option. And after his performance with the Dodgers he was to get 70 + mil on a three year deal

probably 3 years 75 mil with a 4th year option. And Delgado HAS TO go to make the budget work.

22. Comment posted by argonbunnies on October 11, 2008 at 3:59 am (#876000)

Whatever the exact number of years and dollars that would make Manny a sensible fit for us, I don’t think he’s close to our top priority.

The difference between Lidge and our closers in 2008 was so huge that if we can make that up in 2009, all else being the same, we’d leave Philly in the dust.

Brian Fuentes is the best non-K-Rod arm out there, so we should sign him.

We should see if there’s any possible way we can pry Carlos Marmol away from the Cubs while they’re still reeling in disappointment. Maybe F-Mart and Show?

When the Rays when lose to the Sox, move on Balfour.

Trade Carp or Evans to the Giants for Sergio Romo, or the Padres for Mike Adams.

Jon Rauch sucked in his brief stint with Arizona, so they might not want him back. Chad Qualls blew a lot of games too, but his stats were great and he’d been clutch in years past.

A 4.5 K/BB rate says Bob Howry’s 2008 might just be a blip in his general excellence. Get him now while his value’s down!

If we can blow opponents away in the 7th-8th-9th, everything else will work out, Manny or no.

23. Comment posted by dbkoob on October 11, 2008 at 1:38 pm (#876011)

no not with murphy and a cheaper free agent like juan rivera, tatis