October 4, 2008

DestinationGeek 2009
by: Future on Oct 4, 2008 1:45 AM | Filed under: Journals

I was looking at parks for those on the West Coast and those who are interested in seeing a series on the West Coast.

We have three possible choices. Four if we include Arizona.

May 14th through May 17th at Pac Bell Park, Thursday through Sunday Series. Pros, possibly two games maybe three if people fly in from the East Coast on Thursday evening. Beautiful ballpark, and apparently relatively easy to get tickets. See Tim Lincecum pitch in all likelihood.

May 18th through May 20th at Dodger Stadium, Monday through Wednesday. Pros…there are no pros. If we sign Manny, see what the crowd does while he stands in LF. :)

August 6th through 9th in San Diego at Petco Park. Thursday through Sunday series. Pros, possibly two games, three if people fly in from the East Coast on Thursday evening.

August 10th through 12th at the BoB. Pros, the Mets own the BoB. But it’s during the week and it will be domed…August in the desert? Yeah, not so much.

If not the West Coast, why not a short trip out to Chicago, Cinci, or even Florida to talk smack to Scott Olson and key his car.

Lets try it out. It could be done.

17 Responses to “DestinationGeek 2009”

1. Comment posted by sheadenizen on October 4, 2008 at 12:11 pm (#872825)

Are you taking over my job…lol! You’re welcome to it!

3. Comment posted by Future, now with a present J.D. on October 4, 2008 at 2:57 pm (#872833)

This is NOT GeekDay. This is DestinationGeek.

This is for the West Coasters, Mid-West, and East Coasters looking for a nice trip to a ballpark they have likely not been to yet to meet up.

That’s why its DestinationGeek.

4. Comment posted by sheadenizen on October 4, 2008 at 4:17 pm (#872836)

It’s actually a great idea. And you’re still welcome to my job….lol!

5. Comment posted by john on October 4, 2008 at 8:18 pm (#872846)

I wanna go to chi town

7. Comment posted by Hockey Season in St. Louis on October 4, 2008 at 11:08 pm (#872859)

I can promise you debauchery and intemperance if you wanted to stop here….what I cannot promise is a weekend series. Thursday is as close as I can get….

9. Comment posted by Future, now with a present J.D. on October 4, 2008 at 11:45 pm (#872861)

I was thinking more along the lines of the West Coast just because I know we have quite a few people out here…and if we’re going to have people pay to fly somewhere, maybe half of us won’t be crushed. :)

Then if we fly out for a home game geekday, or meet up in DC…it’ll even out.

11. Comment posted by Dep on October 6, 2008 at 3:39 pm (#873543)

The PacBell trip certainly intrigues me.

What kinda timing do you think we need to get everything locked down? I’m not sure how far out i can commit to a trip like that, but maybe.

12. Comment posted by Danny on October 6, 2008 at 3:42 pm (#873554)

Confirming interest. One of my best friends lives in San Fran.

14. Comment posted by Chris in GA on October 6, 2008 at 3:43 pm (#873557)

San Fran is pretty expensive isn’t it? Like compared to the other west coast cities. I just know looking for inexpensive hotels was tough when I planned a trip for my parents to go to san fran. I love San Diego personally. The stadiums location makes it easy to access via the monorail.

16. Comment posted by Dep on October 6, 2008 at 3:47 pm (#873567)

San Francisco is always told to me to be the most expensive city in the US, even more so than NYC.

18. Comment posted by Future, now with a present J.D. on October 6, 2008 at 4:04 pm (#873613)

Alright, I’ll start looking into Pac Bell Park as well as Petco.

19. Comment posted by mookie03 on October 6, 2008 at 5:04 pm (#873726)

Future, don’t factor me in the head count but i’ll try to meet up with you guys if you go to SF.

21. Comment posted by Future, now with a present J.D. on October 6, 2008 at 5:28 pm (#873764)

Will do Mookie.

Shea, you coming? ;)

23. Comment posted by Future, now with a present J.D. on October 6, 2008 at 5:47 pm (#873784)

It’s also really cheap if you book in advance to fly from Oakland and SJ to San Diego, so if people are interested in knocking off another ballpark off their list: the Padres host the Reds that same weekend.

Then drive up and see the Mets play the Dodgers!

GeekTrip?

25. Comment posted by Jessica on October 6, 2008 at 7:50 pm (#873828)

Depending on what my vacation-days situation is, I may be in for this (or any other west-coast weekend Geek activities; one of the good things about having family in California)

26. Comment posted by sheadenizen on October 6, 2008 at 10:07 pm (#873941)

Future, it is definitely something I would think about. I’ve been to all those cities, but would be willing to go wherever the majority wants.

28. Comment posted by Future on January 3, 2009 at 3:10 pm (#914808)

I am in favor of the San Francisco series. That’s the one I like best. That’s far and away the favorite for me.