March 13, 2008

Link Dump: March 13th, 2008

[04:47 AM] NY Daily News: El Duque kicks into gear
[04:47 AM] NY Daily News: Castillo delays return; Mets nix Pagan rumor
[04:11 AM] New York Post: EL DUQUES KICK START
[04:11 AM] New York Post: DUANER FEELS VERY RELIEVED
[03:21 AM] Newsday: Only Opening Day can cure this spring fever
[03:21 AM] Newsday: Mets looking for outfielder; how about Endy?
[03:21 AM] Newsday: El Duque shows off new windup in simulated game
[03:21 AM] Newsday: E-mail from Port St. Lucie
[02:58 AM] The Journal News: Mets shoot down Pagan-for Crisp rumor
[02:58 AM] The Journal News: News is encouraging on three Mets pitchers
[01:47 AM] Bergen Record: Mets notes: Pagan-for-Crisp rumor squashed
[01:47 AM] Bergen Record: Jury still out on new-look Duque
[01:43 AM] Star Ledger: Pagan remains red-hot – NJ.com
[01:43 AM] Star Ledger: El Duque puts best foot forward – NJ.com
[01:39 AM] TCPalm: Pagan, Perez continue to shine
[01:27 AM] The New York Sun: NL East Teams Take Old School Approach to Leadoff
[12:41 AM] New York Times: New Delivery for Hernández Gives Him a Leg to Stand On
[11:53 PM] New York Times: New Delivery for Hernández Gives Him a Leg to Stand On
[07:00 PM] MLB.com: Jokes on Castillo, but he isnt laughing
[05:24 PM] SNY.tv: Not the Angel theyre looking for
[05:00 PM] SNY.tv: Perez clean through four vs. Os
[04:40 PM] MLB.com: Perez returns to form vs. Orioles

Most headlines aggregated by SportSpyder.

671 Responses to “Link Dump: March 13th, 2008”

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]

1. Comment posted by Dep on March 13, 2008 at 5:15 pm (#628218)

Just hire gangs to scare all the owners away like they do in movies.

sheesh!

2. Comment posted by Lister on March 13, 2008 at 5:15 pm (#628219)

who’s going to be the closer in AZ do we think? tony pena?

3. Comment posted by C Low on March 13, 2008 at 5:17 pm (#628220)

If the city/mets do not allow for bars/restaurants on 126th I will be upset :(

5. Comment posted by Dep on March 13, 2008 at 5:18 pm (#628221)

who’s going to be the closer in AZ do we think? tony pena?

I dunno, he could be. i remember reading Pena had visa issues and just got to camp like a week ago. I think Brandon Lyon is /could be the frontrunner.

6. Comment posted by C Low on March 13, 2008 at 5:19 pm (#628222)

I think those gangs are the actual owners ;)

8. Comment posted by Dep on March 13, 2008 at 5:20 pm (#628223)

lol C Low. clever :)

9. Comment posted by Ed in Westchester 2.0 on March 13, 2008 at 5:22 pm (#628224)

Thanks Sarah.
    I think he believes his stuff.

11. Comment posted by Chris in GA on March 13, 2008 at 5:24 pm (#628225)

Brandon Lyon will be the closer. Tony Pena will be the number one set up guy. Melvin thinks that Pena needs one more year as a setup man before assuming closing duties. Lyon did well as a closer before injury and should be a pretty solid guy. I picked him up in my other fantasy draft

12. Comment posted by C Low on March 13, 2008 at 5:25 pm (#628226)

Carlos Delgado was hitless in four at-bats, though he drove in a run on a sacrifice fly. He did not strike out today, though he left four runners on base.

mc lite = glass half full.

13. Comment posted by Ed in Westchester 2.0 on March 13, 2008 at 5:28 pm (#628227)

Hey, no k’s is a big step for Carlos.
    I expect a hit tomorrow.

14. Comment posted by Lister on March 13, 2008 at 5:29 pm (#628228)

Soto, Willingham, S Drew, Killa Cameron, Jeff Francis, Garza, Arroyo, or Pettite???

HELP!

Or Gagne even? Borowoski?

15. Comment posted by Lister on March 13, 2008 at 5:32 pm (#628229)

JJ Hardy or Stephen Drew?

16. Comment posted by Ed in Westchester 2.0 on March 13, 2008 at 5:33 pm (#628230)

Drew Lister

Why didn’t anyone tell me that Beltran played Centerfield today?

17. Comment posted by Lister on March 13, 2008 at 5:35 pm (#628232)

Khalil Greene, Hardy, or Drew?

19. Comment posted by Chris in GA on March 13, 2008 at 5:36 pm (#628233)

I’d ake Drew too

21. Comment posted by Jessica on March 13, 2008 at 5:36 pm (#628234)

Lister, what are your categories, and is it daily or weekly lineup changes?

23. Comment posted by Chris in GA on March 13, 2008 at 5:36 pm (#628235)

drew over greene too

24. Comment posted by C Low on March 13, 2008 at 5:39 pm (#628236)

During the game, Beltran told reporters he felt ‘alright,’ though he tired rather quickly and is not yet ready to play a full nine innings in the field.

….(playing small violin)

25. Comment posted by Lister on March 13, 2008 at 5:40 pm (#628237)

C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, CI, MI, OFx5, Util

2 SP, 2RP, up to 10 more P

Total of 30 slots so the rest go to bench. Normal 5×5. This is my team through 14 rounds:

C:
    OF: Andruw
    OF:
    OF:
    UTIL:

SP: Peavy, Webb, Vazquez, Bonderman
    RP: Mo

Shaping up pretty well I’d say. A lot of about equivalent OFers remaining on the board (Willingham, Cameron, Kearns, Nady types) so I should be OK. Some good arms left too.

26. Comment posted by Lister on March 13, 2008 at 5:41 pm (#628238)

daily and 13 teams

27. Comment posted by Lister on March 13, 2008 at 5:44 pm (#628239)

as you can see, i’m taking durability pretty seriously. the difference between a starter and his replacement when injured is pretty profound w/this many starting positions and deep bench and number of teams

chipper fell far but i just couldnt chance it

29. Comment posted by Jessica on March 13, 2008 at 5:45 pm (#628240)

I’d probably go with Hardy, although Greene would be a good guy to stash on the bench and use only when the Padres are on the road.

31. Comment posted by Dep on March 13, 2008 at 5:46 pm (#628241)

Chris

Check this one out

32. Comment posted by Lister on March 13, 2008 at 5:46 pm (#628242)

you don’t like drew, jess?

34. Comment posted by Chris in GA on March 13, 2008 at 5:47 pm (#628243)

In my braves draft, chipper fell very far, almost took him. Brave fans are funny. They draft Tex, Johnson, Kotsay, McCann, Diaz, Escobar, Francouer, Smoltz, SOriano, Moylan and Hudson before Chipper.

36. Comment posted by Jessica on March 13, 2008 at 5:49 pm (#628244)

Drew killed me in one of my leagues last year, so there’s a little bias there, but dode hit like .230 even with the advantage of playing half his games in Arizona.

38. Comment posted by Jessica on March 13, 2008 at 5:50 pm (#628245)

Wait, they drafted Kotsay before Larry? Holy crap.

40. Comment posted by Chris in GA on March 13, 2008 at 5:50 pm (#628246)

Dude deserved that Dep. He needed to lock in that choke a lot harder. I saw a similar thing happen at rage in the cage when this ju-jit su fighter didnt want to hurt the other guy and hoped he would tap before he truly sunk the choke in. Next thing he knew, he was waking up after the fight

41. Comment posted by Lister on March 13, 2008 at 5:51 pm (#628247)

Ah yes. Mark Kotsay and Peter Moylan. Perennial fantasy studs.

43. Comment posted by Dep on March 13, 2008 at 5:51 pm (#628248)

lol chris. ugh getting dropped on your face like that must hurt!!!

imagine being that guy and getting picked up like that and you see the canvas and know your face is going right into it and you cant do diddly! lol must suck

45. Comment posted by Chris in GA on March 13, 2008 at 5:57 pm (#628249)

Right before chipper got picked up, the guy who took a majority of Braves took Kotsay and was piss cause he thought Chipper was taken. The guy who drafted Chipper said he waited cause he felt that Chipper would only appear in 140 games. Told him that most regulars appear in 145 games and if you got 140 out of Chipper, it would be a good thing.

BTW Jessica. I saw your last post last night on the multi regression on the 4 variables. Your idea for a study is awesome. I wish I could of done that stuff for school while I had the chance. I did very basic baseball calculations for my first statistics class last August

46. Comment posted by C Low on March 13, 2008 at 5:58 pm (#628250)

Dude, Chris, Are you the guy from AZ? How is that job going? I just got back from there. They drink a weird beer concoction with tomato and clam juice. I was not man enough to try, probably the first alcoholic drink I ever declined in my life so far.

48. Comment posted by Chris in GA on March 13, 2008 at 6:01 pm (#628252)

I know an Arizona brewery produces a Clamato beer. I can’t think of the name of the company but it was on the world beer tour at a restaurant/bar I frequented. I never got to that one and would of tried to stay away from it. I hear Bud might have a clamato mix too

50. Comment posted by Chris in GA on March 13, 2008 at 6:03 pm (#628253)

I’m trying to think of the beer I declined after smelling the crap. It was some small brewery out west that produced it.

51. Comment posted by C Low on March 13, 2008 at 6:05 pm (#628254)

Yeah man. I was golfing out there and ask the cart girl for the biggest beer in the cart and she pulled out a 16 oz bud light clamato can. It was a regular blue and silver bud light can but on the bottom said bud light clamato in red. I can’t believe I have never seen that before.

53. Comment posted by Dep on March 13, 2008 at 6:05 pm (#628255)

Chelada?

55. Comment posted by Dep on March 13, 2008 at 6:06 pm (#628256)

I would never drink that. I think Chelada is the Bud One

it sounds scary as hell.

supposed to be a great hangover cure. I dont have the balls to try it

57. Comment posted by Dep on March 13, 2008 at 6:07 pm (#628257)

booyah! looks scary!

59. Comment posted by Chris in GA on March 13, 2008 at 6:10 pm (#628258)

Lots of consumer items are tested in Arizona. Its a very good test market for a lot of companies since everyone is from someplace else and they can gauge popularity nationwide by the sales in Arizona. There are somethings that COke put out that I never saw elsewhere. I don’t know if you all up there have recently gotten Cherry Chocolate Doctor Pepper but thats been out there testing for a year or so.

60. Comment posted by C Low on March 13, 2008 at 6:14 pm (#628259)

So they test consumer products in Arizona and atomic bombs in New Mexico. got ya.

62. Comment posted by Dep on March 13, 2008 at 6:15 pm (#628260)

Bud just launched that beer too. it hit stores 1/12/08

it scares me to no end

63. Comment posted by C Low on March 13, 2008 at 6:18 pm (#628261)

Bloody Mary’s are good enough for me. Mixing anything with beer is just wrong.

65. Comment posted by Chris in GA on March 13, 2008 at 6:20 pm (#628262)

They also test cars. If your ever in Phoenix, drive east on the superstition highway and head towards Superior, Arizona. Nothing is in Superior but your bound to see a vechicle driving on the road you have never seen before except in Mags

67. Comment posted by Jessica on March 13, 2008 at 6:20 pm (#628263)

I remember when I took a marketing class a couple of years ago we learned that there are about 10 cities that are used as test markets because their demographics are very similar to overall US demographics. I think one of them was in Kansas.

69. Comment posted by Future on March 13, 2008 at 6:22 pm (#628264)

I am watching the 94 Eastern Conference Finals. Devils-Rangers. Game 1.

It’s funny to see how much grabbing/hooking/obstruction is going on. I wondered how I fell in love with the sport when my introduction to the sport was like ice rugby.

71. Comment posted by Chris in GA on March 13, 2008 at 6:27 pm (#628265)

If you go to subway and see those toasting machines they have, that was the 3rd or 4th different toasting machine they tried. Thy also tried this buffalo chicken tasting dressing that was the most disgusting thing I have ever tasted between two pieces of bread

73. Comment posted by Chris in GA on March 13, 2008 at 6:28 pm (#628266)

Bartolo Colon yielded a run over two innings against the Rays in his spring debut on Thursday.

Colon peaked at 94 mph in the game, though he was generally 4-5 mph below that with his fastball. It was still an encouraging first outing for a guy who didn’t throw much during February. He could be an option for the Red Sox as soon as mid-April.

74. Comment posted by littlefallsmets on March 13, 2008 at 6:54 pm (#628267)

What’ll be fun is if Bartolo can do some mirage work in spring and get onto the 25-man roster before he implodes again, so that we can get a “Spastic Colon” headline or two outta Boston.

That’ll be sweet.

75. Comment posted by C Low on March 13, 2008 at 6:59 pm (#628268)

HAHAHA LFM! or if he gains anymore weight they can refer to him as Swollen Colon.

76. Comment posted by littlefallsmets on March 13, 2008 at 7:07 pm (#628269)

“Trouble in the Red Sox Lockerroom: Colon Cancer?”

78. Comment posted by Chris in GA on March 13, 2008 at 7:09 pm (#628270)

First one was funny. Second one not so cool. I just don’t joke bout Cancer. Maybe try to work in COlon Blow

79. Comment posted by Ellis Dee on March 13, 2008 at 7:21 pm (#628271)

billy crystal coming up to bat now on YES.

81. Comment posted by tim from STL. on March 13, 2008 at 7:27 pm (#628272)

why I don’t karate chop stuff…

82. Comment posted by Ellis Dee on March 13, 2008 at 7:28 pm (#628273)

After watching it, that inside pitch was not even close to being a brush back, and the supposed barely foul, line drive was NOT a line drive and not even close to being fair. Ha!

84. Comment posted by tim from STL. on March 13, 2008 at 7:30 pm (#628274)

was it hit hard for a 60 year old slightly funny actor?

85. Comment posted by littlefallsmets on March 13, 2008 at 7:32 pm (#628275)

Well, used to be slightly funny.

Ain’t been funny in a looooong time.

87. Comment posted by Chris in GA on March 13, 2008 at 7:33 pm (#628276)

Need the geeks help. I want to find video on this guy

Preston Guilmet

He is a right handed starter or the University of Arizona Wildcats. Apparrently, he is very, very good with an odd over the top release point. Has 3 plus pitches but teams are scared off because of his motion causing future injury. He is not overpowering but is a top 5 division 1 pitcher.

89. Comment posted by Chris in GA on March 13, 2008 at 7:33 pm (#628277)

That ball wasnt a brush back. totally over stated. I watched it online

90. Comment posted by Ellis Dee on March 13, 2008 at 7:34 pm (#628278)

lol…The AB was funnier than any of his lines!

91. Comment posted by Ellis Dee on March 13, 2008 at 7:41 pm (#628279)

Chris, don’t they have any video on the U of Az website?

Crystal has the graceful swing of a 12 yr old school girl.

93. Comment posted by Chris in GA on March 13, 2008 at 7:58 pm (#628280)

Tucson, AZ (UWIRE) — For head coach Andy Lopez’ Arizona baseball team, school must come first. Therefore, it’s routine to see players arriving late to the field on any given day due to having late classes. And as long as that is the excuse, it’s fine by Lopez.

Even when all the class involves is playing with horses.

Since the team opened spring practice Feb. 1, Arizona’s preseason All-American pitcher Preston Guilmet has arrived to practice late every Monday, Wednesday and Friday due to his enrollment in a class on horse training.

“We don’t actually ride the horses,” Guilmet said of the class. “We train them, do all of the ground-breaking training with them; saddling and stuff like that.”

While it may seem strange that the same pitcher that earned a 12-2 record on the mound last season behind an astonishing 1.87 ERA wound up in a horse training class which causes him to be tardy to practice three days a week, it can be assured there was no mistake or scheduling glitch.

Since his high school days, the 2007 Pacific 10 Conference pitcher of the year has enjoyed the company of horses. Guilmet said the motivation from his ex-girlfriend sparked the interest which has carried on ever since.

So it comes as little surprise that this is not Guilmet’s first semester in the class. In fact, the right-hander has even had time to develop a bond with the young horse he has been assigned to in the class, Rosebud.

“I’ve got an 11-month-old filly, which means a girl,” Guilmet said with a hint of pride in his voice. “She’s a good horse. I’ve been working with her since last semester when she was six months old.”

Unfortunately for Guilmet, his love of horses is lost on his teammates who enjoy taking an opportunity to give him some light-hearted trouble about his unique hobby.

“He’s just a weirdo,” closer Jason Stoffel said jokingly. “He talks about (horses) a good amount. I’ve never had had a horse, never really been interested in horses. I don’t really know what he’s doing (in the class).”

Fellow teammate and pitcher Daniel Schlereth said Guilmet’s interest stretches to his home as well where a horse calendar hangs on the wall.

“He’s just a geek man, that’s all I can say,” Schlereth said. “He’s pretty big time into (horses). I like horses too, but as far as I’ve gone with them is probably just feeding it grass and that’s fine with me.”

While his teammates might give their ace some grief about his off-the-field activities, no one is questioning what he does on the field.

Last season, Guilmet posted a Cy Young caliber effort, according to Lopez, in which he marked himself as one of the best pitchers in college baseball and the best pitcher in the Pac-10.

In addition to his national recognition, Guilmet recorded Arizona’s lowest ERA since 1975 and recorded the most wins since former major leaguer Scott Erikson in 1989 (18).

“Last year he had an ‘S’ on his chest like he was Superman,” Lopez said of Guilmet’s performance. “There were several times last year he was on the mound in the ninth inning with a 1-run lead or throwing a shutout. He had an ERA of 1.78 in college baseball, that’s pretty special.”

Lopez went on to add that he does not expect nor will the team require Guilmet to give the Wildcats a repeat performance.

In Guilmet’s first appearance on Feb. 22 against Georgia, the junior was far from perfect, giving up four earned runs – eight total – through four innings en route to his first loss of the year.

“Definitely not the start the team or I hoped (for),” Guilmet said. “But we got plenty more weekends to come and we’re gonna get better.”

Whether or not another All-American season stands on deck for Guilmet, Lopez said all he wants from his right-hander is to “be a strong Friday night guy.”

So this Friday, after he finishes his training with the filly, Guilmet will trade his boots for metal spikes and head to the pitchers’ mound where he will do what he does best: play ball.

Since the Georgia game, Guilmet returned to his usual super form the past two Fridays by winning both of his starts while pitching 15 innings, allowing only two earned runs and 10 hits and striking out 23 batters.

“Preston’s as good of a guy as I’ve ever had in terms of paying attention to details and getting ready to pitch,” Lopez said. “He had a rough first outing but I have no doubt that (his performance) will turn around.”

Somehow, somewhere, Paul Lo Duca may want to catch this guy. Maybe he can train some of Paulie race horses

95. Comment posted by Chris in GA on March 13, 2008 at 8:14 pm (#628281)

Kaz Matsui is hoping to return to action this weekend.

He’s been out for a week with an anal fissure.

96. Comment posted by C Low on March 13, 2008 at 8:21 pm (#628282)

Sales guy at my work who is lucky enough to have season tix said mets informed him that they will soon tell him where his 09 seats will be in Citifield.

He also got a surprisingly nice upgrade in his seats for the 08 season. Guessing that the tix hike scared alot of season tix holders away.

98. Comment posted by Chris in GA on March 13, 2008 at 8:25 pm (#628283)

BRISBANE, Australia (AP)
    6 hours ago

An Australian woman who stabbed her civil law husband to death because she was tired of being bossed around said an argument over Bruce Springsteen was the last straw.

Karen Lee Cooper pleaded guilty to manslaughter Thursday and was sentenced to eight years in prison for killing partner Kevin Watson in a drunken argument at their home in northeastern Queensland state in July 2006.

Cooper, 50, called an ambulance after suffering what her lawyer Greg Maguire called a “brain snap” and stabbing Watson, 49, once in the chest with a kitchen knife. He died at the scene.

Cooper told police she had become fed up with Waston telling her what to do during their two-year relationship. On the night of the killing, she tried to play a Springsteen CD and he took if off the stereo, triggering a bitter argument.

“I mean, who the hell doesn’t like Bruce Springsteen, for God’s sake?” Cooper told police in a record of interview presented to the court. “I just picked up a knife and I went ‘boom’.”

Cooper, who swallowed a handful of painkillers after calling the ambulance in a suicide bid, regretted stabbing Watson and believed he did not deserve to die, Maguire said.

In handing down the sentence, Justice John Byrne noted Cooper was a mother of three with no previous convictions, and said he was taking her remorse and guilty plea into account.

100. Comment posted by Confused on March 13, 2008 at 10:48 pm (#628284)

interior and exterior shots of citi field.

102. Comment posted by Future on March 13, 2008 at 10:58 pm (#628285)

Nice confused.

103. Comment posted by littlefallsmets on March 13, 2008 at 11:09 pm (#628286)

I still can’t get over the fact that the StL is throwing a base salary of 4.25 mil at Lohse. That’s hilarious. For a near 5.00 ERA.

104. Comment posted by Lister on March 13, 2008 at 11:14 pm (#628287)

normal 5×5 categories

jeff francis, bronson arroyo, or andy pettite?

help quick pls

105. Comment posted by Danny on March 13, 2008 at 11:20 pm (#628288)

Francis

106. Comment posted by littlefallsmets on March 13, 2008 at 11:32 pm (#628290)

Francis, yeah.

108. Comment posted by Confused on March 14, 2008 at 9:21 am (#628319)

for those who werant around last night: interior and exterior shots of citi field. i wish i has this type of access. the better hurry up with the train platform.

and on a totally different note, an 11+ min bummer of an inspirational lecture video.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]