March 4, 2008

TMSNJ….come on.

The

Metsgeek

Super

Nickname

Journal.

Its so obvious isnt it? Of course its not!

The best nicknames imo are the ones that are impossible to decipher by outsiders and only us insiders know the derivation or true meaning of them, it makes the names special for me/us imo.

So here’s a journal to list all of our clever nicknames (and some not clever at all, see F-Mart)

Some nicknames people have used I’m not listing here, I’m only going with official ones. Like i know people call Heilman, Midol but i dont count that as official. he’s heils to me and always will be. That’s what i’m putting. Feel free to disagree and lets get some discussion going in the comments.

But its my journal and I’m gonna put what i want!!! ;)

Some guys will have no nicknames, others will have multiples.

I am doing this 100% from memory, so please help me out and correct me where I’m wrong and help me fill in things I missed or forgot about. I will put the full ML roster on here (what yahoo lists for now) and notable minor league players.

ML ROSTER and Coaches/Mgmt

Omar Minaya – Omar Motorola; Minayacal

Willie Randolph – The Gut; IGIT (In Gut I Trust); Widiot

Omar and Willie – Willomar

Rick Peterson – The Jacket

Adam Bostick – No Nickname

Ambiorix Burgos – TripleCheeseBurgos; Amburglar; 4HE (thanks jess!); Dominatrix CheeseBurgers
Willie Collazo- No Nickname

Pedro Feliciano – Pedro2; PedroDos; Otro Pedro

Aaron Heilman – Heils; Herr Midol (i folded, luc owns me, hehehe); Grumpy (thanks 86!)

Orlando Hernandez – El Duque

Ruddy Lugo – No Nickname

John Maine – Lobster; Maine Man (thanks luc!)

Pedro Martinez – GOAT (Greatest of All Time)

Carlos Muniz – No Nickname

Mike Pelfrey – Le Tongue; SNAP (Still Needs Another Pitch) (come up with something better and i’ll change it)

Oliver Perez – Ollie; Opie

Steven Register – No Real Nickname ; Ching!

Duaner Sanchez – Dirty

Johan Santana – No Real Nickname; Johan the Great; Yoyo!

Scott Schoeneweis – Show; Rocky Horror

Joe Smith – Raggedy; Smitty

Jorge Sosa – No Nickname

Brian Stokes – No Nickname

Jason Vargas – No Nickname

Billy Wagner – Wags

Matt Wise – No Nickname

Ramon Castro – Blastro

Brian Schneider – No Nickname

Luis Castillo – No Nickname

Carlos Delgado – No Nickname; I suggest Del-had-it (hat-tip to 86)

Damion Easley – Duzit (Easley Duzit!) (another hat-tip to 86)

Ruben Gotay – Le Goat (dont get confused!) ;)

Anderson Hernandez – IPOR (in play, out recorded); or if he gets a hit IPHR (in play, hit recorded)

Jose Reyes – El Professor

Jose Valentin – Stache

David Wright – Golden Boy; The Prince; Darkwing Duck (LFM gets one in!); Sugarpants (not a nickname from here, but too bad! :-p )

Moises Alou – Bob’Alou; Moistest

Marlon Anderson – No Nickname

Carlos Beltran – MOLE!; WEP (worth every penny)

Endy Chavez – ND; The Catch

Ryan Church – No Nickname

Angel Pagan – No Nickname

Notable Minor Talents

Fernando Martinez – ƒ!; F!;Fernando!; THM (F-Mart sucks as a nickname, as does the whole #-mart family of nicknames, please stop using it, I will continue to boo anyone that does)

Michel Abreu – BSOG (Bat Speed Of the Gods) (thanks shea!)

Eddie Comacho – Eddie “Macho” Camacho

Ezequiel Carrera – Porsche; Zeke

Notable Ex-Mets

Shawn Green – Lawn; Jewish Apatosaurus (future’s incarnation)

Lastings Milledge – ITAM (It Takes A Milledge); Blastings Thrilledge; Everlastings

Eli Marrero – The Havana Kid (thanks chris!)

Chan Ho Park – Chip (thanks timmy!)

Heath Bell – The Prodigy (thanks chris!)

Gerald Williams – Ice; Iceman

Ricky Ledee – BoomBoom

Jose Offerman – Awfulman

Kaz Matsui – KazMat; HazMat

Victor Diaz – MiniManny

Victor Zambrano – Zamboni

Chad Bradford – ChadBrad

Braden Looper – Blooper

Xavier Nady – X-Man

Steve Trachsel – Trax; Human Rain Delay

Jose Lima – LimaTime

Doug Mientkiewicz – Dougie Eyechart

97 Responses to “TMSNJ. say what?”

1. Comment posted by sheadenizen on March 4, 2008 at 4:56 pm (#621954)

Dep…you forgot BSOG! I know he’s not notable, but he is playing.

3. Comment posted by Dep on March 4, 2008 at 4:57 pm (#621956)

oh crap. Consider him added.

thank you!

4. Comment posted by sheadenizen on March 4, 2008 at 4:59 pm (#621959)

Also..ex mets…how can we forget ITAM or is he dead to us;-)

6. Comment posted by Dep on March 4, 2008 at 5:00 pm (#621961)

oh crap, double thanks.

its hard sometimes to remember people when you do lists like this. Too close to the trees to see the forrest and all that

8. Comment posted by Jessica on March 4, 2008 at 5:03 pm (#621971)

I always refer to Feliciano as Otro Pedro. Does that count?

Also, didn’t someone (I think 86) call Burgos 4HE because Ambiorix sounds like an erectile-disfunction drug?

10. Comment posted by Dep on March 4, 2008 at 5:04 pm (#621973)

I’ll add Otro Pedro (and PedroDos)

and 4HE

11. Comment posted by bcuster on March 4, 2008 at 5:05 pm (#621974)

heilman got off easy here. i have heard some of far more “colorful” nicknames for aaron this board…

13. Comment posted by Dep on March 4, 2008 at 5:05 pm (#621975)

I disregard all those bogus mean nicknames for our boy Aaron.

I love Heils, it sounds tough. Little german too ;)

14. Comment posted by lucienlc on March 4, 2008 at 5:07 pm (#621977)

Pedro2 is also Pedro Dos. Don’t know if that warrants an extra mention though.

Ollie Perez is Opie to some, isn’t he?

Castillo had one which I hated and have thankfully forgotten, but it should maybe be included??? Though I’d be perfectly happy to ignore it. :-)

But I like Herr Midol. :-)

Maine is of course the Maine Man, but anyone who can’t figure that one out doesn’t belong on metsgeek.

16. Comment posted by Dep on March 4, 2008 at 5:13 pm (#621990)

PedroDos got added.

I can and shall add Maine Man and Herr Midol (just for you)

What was Castillo’s nickname>Gimpy or something? I honestly dont remember lol I’m not using mean ones anyways :)

17. Comment posted by lucienlc on March 4, 2008 at 5:24 pm (#622005)

I don’t remember either, Dep. Just that I hated it. Probably blocked it from memory.

You don’t have to add Herr Midol if you think it’s mean. I think it’s kind of funny, but then I’m not a big Heilman fan. Why don’t you ask BCuster for an opinion on it?

What about Opie?

19. Comment posted by 86Forever on March 4, 2008 at 5:26 pm (#622008)

Pelfrey is The Tongue.

21. Comment posted by Dep on March 4, 2008 at 5:26 pm (#622009)

Opie has been added! you own me ;)

23. Comment posted by 86Forever on March 4, 2008 at 5:26 pm (#622010)

Other name for Heilman was Grumpy.

24. Comment posted by bcuster on March 4, 2008 at 5:27 pm (#622011)

it is all in good fun. put whatever you want…

26. Comment posted by Dep on March 4, 2008 at 5:27 pm (#622012)

I can add Grumpy. that’s not too mean ;)

28. Comment posted by 86Forever on March 4, 2008 at 5:27 pm (#622013)

Endy is also The Catch.

29. Comment posted by lucienlc on March 4, 2008 at 5:28 pm (#622016)

That’s right, 86. I forgot that one! Probably because I haven’t seen him pitch yet this season.

31. Comment posted by 86Forever on March 4, 2008 at 5:30 pm (#622019)

Other name for Ambiorix was AINFE. (Ambiorix Is Not For Everyone.)

32. Comment posted by lucienlc on March 4, 2008 at 5:30 pm (#622020)

Was there something for the two Carloses? I can’t remember? Or was it just when they batted back to back?

34. Comment posted by 86Forever on March 4, 2008 at 5:30 pm (#622021)

Wright’s also been called the Prince here.

35. Comment posted by lucienlc on March 4, 2008 at 5:30 pm (#622022)

Shea was right, 86. You are good at this! :-)

37. Comment posted by 86Forever on March 4, 2008 at 5:31 pm (#622023)

Thanks, Luc!

38. Comment posted by lucienlc on March 4, 2008 at 5:32 pm (#622024)

LOL! I was about to say that David Wright had another nick here, but not only did 86 beat me to it, he even remembered what it was!

39. Comment posted by lucienlc on March 4, 2008 at 5:33 pm (#622026)

For a guy who didn’t play much for the Mets, Ambiorix Burgos sure accumulated a lot of nicknames!

41. Comment posted by 86Forever on March 4, 2008 at 5:33 pm (#622027)

I thought we had anothe rnickname for Joe Smith that referred to his consensus pick among the women as being a hottie.

43. Comment posted by Confused on March 4, 2008 at 5:35 pm (#622029)

how about for:

Mike Pelfrey = tongue or AAA
    Brian Stokes = allison
    Matt Wise = unwise
    Ramon Castro = cabesa?

44. Comment posted by lucienlc on March 4, 2008 at 5:35 pm (#622030)

I think you’re right, 86, but I can’t remember it. Ask Shea. Maybe she does.

Not that I think we’re going to see him on the ML team anytime soon this year.

46. Comment posted by Dep on March 4, 2008 at 5:36 pm (#622031)

#

Endy is also The Catch.

Wright’s also been called the Prince here.

both added

48. Comment posted by Dep on March 4, 2008 at 5:37 pm (#622034)

#

We did call them Carlos1 and Carlos2 for a while when they batted back2back

50. Comment posted by 86Forever on March 4, 2008 at 5:39 pm (#622037)

I go with Delhadit

52. Comment posted by Dep on March 4, 2008 at 5:39 pm (#622038)

hahahahaha, too funny. I’ll add that as my suggestion with a hat tip to you

53. Comment posted by lucienlc on March 4, 2008 at 5:43 pm (#622042)

Oh – the Smith thing was something to do with his perpetually ruddy cheeks.

55. Comment posted by Dep on March 4, 2008 at 5:46 pm (#622050)

how about for:

Mike Pelfrey = tongue or AAA
    Brian Stokes = allison
    Matt Wise = unwise
    Ramon Castro = cabesa?

hmmmm, we’ll see if they take off. I thought of Tongue and almost put it on for Pelfrey, but i just dont like it.

we can always add them later.

56. Comment posted by lucienlc on March 4, 2008 at 5:48 pm (#622054)

Considering Wise’s comment on the Favre retirement, I prefer Wiseguy myself. :-)

58. Comment posted by Jessica on March 4, 2008 at 5:48 pm (#622055)

I think the derogatory nickname for Castillo was Banjo.

60. Comment posted by 86Forever on March 4, 2008 at 5:48 pm (#622057)

Jess is correct on Banjo. Good memory!

62. Comment posted by Dep on March 4, 2008 at 5:48 pm (#622058)

What was Wise’s comment?

I think the derogatory nickname for Castillo was Banjo.

HA! yes it was. you have a superb memory! :)

64. Comment posted by 86Forever on March 4, 2008 at 5:50 pm (#622062)

If you don’t like The Tongue (which I have a liking for (pause)), how about Gomp?

Get
    One
    Pitch

66. Comment posted by 86Forever on March 4, 2008 at 5:52 pm (#622064)

Or Halob.

Hits
    A
    Lot
    Of
    Bats

68. Comment posted by Dep on March 4, 2008 at 5:52 pm (#622065)

I can add tongue. My personal liking shouldnt be the determinant here.

Pelf needs two more pitches! HA! ;)

GOMP aint bad

70. Comment posted by 86Forever on March 4, 2008 at 5:52 pm (#622066)

Or we could just call him Humber, which would make me laugh.

72. Comment posted by Dep on March 4, 2008 at 5:53 pm (#622067)

Needs
    Another
    Pitch

NAP!

74. Comment posted by Dep on March 4, 2008 at 5:53 pm (#622068)

Or we could just call him Humber, which would make me laugh.

hahahahahahahahaha, that would be hysterically confusing!

75. Comment posted by Ed in Westchester 2.0 on March 4, 2008 at 5:53 pm (#622069)

Nice job deppy

77. Comment posted by 86Forever on March 4, 2008 at 5:54 pm (#622071)

NAP is good.

Humber (I dare say) is excellent.

79. Comment posted by Confused on March 4, 2008 at 5:55 pm (#622073)

oh god i hope he isnt pitching when i go to the game.

ogihhipwigttg = pelfrey

81. Comment posted by Dep on March 4, 2008 at 5:55 pm (#622075)

I just added “Le Tongue”, it sounds better (and dirty!)

and NAP

Humber is too funny!

83. Comment posted by Dep on March 4, 2008 at 5:55 pm (#622076)

lmao confused

85. Comment posted by Dep on March 4, 2008 at 5:56 pm (#622077)

or SNAP

still
    needs
    another
    pitch

87. Comment posted by 86Forever on March 4, 2008 at 5:56 pm (#622078)

Marlon = The Fifth Jackson

89. Comment posted by 86Forever on March 4, 2008 at 5:56 pm (#622079)

SNAP it is!!

91. Comment posted by 86Forever on March 4, 2008 at 5:57 pm (#622081)

Damian Easley = Duzit.

(Easley Duzit)

93. Comment posted by Dep on March 4, 2008 at 5:57 pm (#622082)

Marlon = The Fifth Jackson

hahahahaha, i can add that but his name is anderson! ;)

95. Comment posted by Dep on March 4, 2008 at 5:58 pm (#622083)

Damian Easley = Duzit.

(Easley Duzit)

ooooh I LOVE IT

96. Comment posted by sheadenizen on March 4, 2008 at 6:01 pm (#622086)

Wait a sec. I thought we were listing already existing nicknames to help people out. Now we’re making them up as well?

98. Comment posted by 86Forever on March 4, 2008 at 6:01 pm (#622087)

Don’t forget the coaching staff.

The Jacket.

The Gut.

100. Comment posted by 86Forever on March 4, 2008 at 6:02 pm (#622089)

We gotta fill in blanks, Shea!

Consider them suggestions only.

102. Comment posted by Dep on March 4, 2008 at 6:03 pm (#622091)

I know, we added some new ones.

oh well, existing ones and new ones!

104. Comment posted by Chris in GA on March 4, 2008 at 6:07 pm (#622093)

Wise’s nickname with the Angels was Skeletor

I like Ryan Iglesias, the lost brother of Enrique

Ex Mets:
    Havana Kid –Marrero
    THe Prodigy– Heath Bell

106. Comment posted by Chris in GA on March 4, 2008 at 6:09 pm (#622097)

Omar Motorola

Dominatrix CheeseBurgers

108. Comment posted by tim from STL. on March 4, 2008 at 6:11 pm (#622100)

chips. was he chan ho?
    I seem to remember a blowenweis

110. Comment posted by Dep on March 4, 2008 at 6:13 pm (#622105)

ahhh Chip! he was added. Chan HO he was

I added Marrero and Bell.

112. Comment posted by 86Forever on March 4, 2008 at 6:14 pm (#622107)

Front office:

Minayacal.

114. Comment posted by Dep on March 4, 2008 at 6:15 pm (#622109)

I added Omar and Dominatrix.

115. Comment posted by Ed in Westchester 2.0 on March 4, 2008 at 6:17 pm (#622112)

Willie – IGIT

In
    Gut
    I
    Trust

The Gut works though. I just had to post the one moderately amusing knickname I came up with.

117. Comment posted by Dep on March 4, 2008 at 6:19 pm (#622113)

ah yes. good one Ed. nice. I will put both

119. Comment posted by Chris in GA on March 4, 2008 at 6:21 pm (#622115)

I always wanted to call El Duque Ninja Turtle. someone needs that nickname

121. Comment posted by Dep on March 4, 2008 at 6:21 pm (#622117)

Ninja Turtle? that’s funny.

we need someone with a classic painter name!

123. Comment posted by Chris in GA on March 4, 2008 at 6:23 pm (#622118)

Triple A pitcher Eddie “Macho” Camacho

125. Comment posted by Dep on March 4, 2008 at 6:23 pm (#622119)

lol! that will be added.

127. Comment posted by Dep on March 4, 2008 at 6:25 pm (#622123)

I’m out for tonight, but keep the comments coming, I will update and make changes next time i’m on!

129. Comment posted by Chris in GA on March 4, 2008 at 6:26 pm (#622124)

It’s sad that Castillo doesn’t have a nickname.

Suggestions: Gipper, Limp Bizkit, Rickets, I don’t know but he needs one

131. Comment posted by Chris in GA on March 4, 2008 at 6:31 pm (#622126)

Eeyore for Heilman

133. Comment posted by Chris in GA on March 4, 2008 at 6:32 pm (#622127)

Last One from me

“Buckle” for Santana.

134. Comment posted by lucienlc on March 4, 2008 at 6:40 pm (#622131)

Dep — sorry, I stepped away, but in answer to your question, Delcos had the comment from Wise, in reference to Favre’s retirement. Wise was wondering what Favre might do next and suggested politics: “Hi, I’m Bret Favre. That’s my platform.”

I thought that was pretty funny.

135. Comment posted by sheadenizen on March 4, 2008 at 8:02 pm (#622140)

Dep…we forgot Widiot for Willie

136. Comment posted by Ed in Westchester on March 4, 2008 at 8:34 pm (#622144)

“Das Wunderkind” for Heilman waas thrown around at one point.

I bet Chris knows who the original was :)

138. Comment posted by MetsFanSince71 on March 4, 2008 at 8:42 pm (#622145)

Very clever journal, Dep…Depster…Depota…Depmeister!

It’s SFW. You made me LOL. And I was McLovin’ it as I read.

I heart you, Dep (NH)!

BTW, check your email

139. Comment posted by Athena on March 4, 2008 at 8:55 pm (#622148)

I don’t remember Joe Smith’s nickname, either. (Although I will concur that he is pretty damn cute.)

He has such a baby-face, I always think of him as The Kid.

Smitty the Kid??

140. Comment posted by argonbunnies on March 4, 2008 at 9:17 pm (#622150)

More I remember using, not sure how many others used them:
    Milledge – Blastings Thrilledge, Everlastings
    Burgos – Non-drowsy
    Heilman – Herbie
    Valentin – Zorro
    Floyd – Uncle Cliffy
    Matsui – KazMat, HazMat
    Victor Diaz – Mini Manny
    Victor Zambrano – Zamboni
    Jorge Julio – LegArm
    Bannister – Bani
    Bradford – The ChadBrad
    Benson – Kristina
    Looper – Blooper

Not Geek nicknames, but neither are Smitty, El Duque, Maine Man, Wags, or Blastro:
    LoDuca – Captain Redass
    Nady – X-Man
    Heath Bell – Heater
    Woodward – Woody
    Trachsel – Trax, Human Rain Delay
    Lima – Lima Time
    Mientkiewicz – Dougie Eyechart

We also had something funny for Soler, Seo, Koo, Danny Graves and Roberto Hernandez, but I don’t recall.

Why is Bell “The Prodigy”? Undrafted? Late bloomer?

142. Comment posted by Chris in GA on March 4, 2008 at 11:32 pm (#622174)

Argon, the prodigy comment is a joke like most of these nicknames. It’s actually related to an ex-poster who called himself the prodigy. It ended up, as a joke, that we called Heath Bell the prodigy, which pissed him off to no end

143. Comment posted by Dave in Spain on March 5, 2008 at 1:29 am (#622176)

Schonweis= Rocky Horror

Tim McCarver was Bucket Head, but that could go for Castro too.

144. Comment posted by littlefallsmets on March 5, 2008 at 3:05 am (#622177)

Ones I’d like to coin:

Brian Schneider – The Schnide, Noodle Bat, Defensive Catcher #438
    Ryan Church – Platoon, Whatshisname, Not-Milledge
    Luis Castillo – Ol’ One Legs, The Limp
    Orlando Hernandez – El Denial, El DL
    Scott Schoeneweis – Expletive Deleted
    Ruben Gotay – Gogo, The Sandwich
    David Wright – Darkwing Duck (when there’s trouble you call D.W.)
    Carlos Beltran – Mr. 87.3546%
    Carlos Delgado – TWO35 (The World’s Oldest Thirty-Five-Year Old)
    Johann Santana – (basically any Santana hit, “Evil Ways” “Black Magic Woman” etc)
    Jose Valentin – Lightning (as in “the lightning is no longer in the bottle”)
    Marlon Anderson – Butch (for his fielding prowess)
    Matt Wise – Mr. Owl (think old Tootsie Pop commericals)
    Mike Pelfrey – (it’s gotta be something about elves but I’m drawing a blank)
    Jason Vargas – Jose Vima
    Jorge Sosa – George Souser (sort of a Ted Kennedy riff)

145. Comment posted by fatt lipp on March 5, 2008 at 2:07 pm (#622606)

Widiot!

146. Comment posted by littlefallsmets on March 5, 2008 at 9:28 pm (#623081)

Oh, for Alou:

Princess.

Because if there’s a pea under the mattress, he’s out for four-to-six.

148. Comment posted by Chris in GA on March 5, 2008 at 11:28 pm (#623323)

Boom Boom
    Ice
    Awfulman

149. Comment posted by Jose Reyes – RBI Machine on March 6, 2008 at 2:21 am (#623336)

Johan Santana – No Real Nickname

How is this possible? Someone get the Star-Tribune or someone on the phone… this must be remedied.

151. Comment posted by Dep on March 6, 2008 at 12:25 pm (#623659)

ok, I think we’re all updated!

153. Comment posted by 86Forever on March 6, 2008 at 5:02 pm (#624038)

Can’t we make Brian Stokes “Pole Vaulter”?

155. Comment posted by Dep on March 6, 2008 at 5:07 pm (#624042)

hahahaha, that’s funny. more like we wish!

156. Comment posted by Ed in Westchester on March 6, 2008 at 8:48 pm (#624103)

LFM – nicknames are supposed to be funny/clever.

keep this in mind.

157. Comment posted by sarah on March 6, 2008 at 9:34 pm (#624107)

Were Carloses Beltran and Delgado ever referred to as Dos Carlos, or is that a figment of my imagination?

I might also be getting confused with Pedro and PedroDos…

158. Comment posted by littlefallsmets on March 7, 2008 at 10:14 pm (#624612)

Okay, but calling Castillo “Jake Taylor” would be TOTALLY hilarious.

160. Comment posted by 86Forever on March 10, 2008 at 2:27 pm (#625775)

Oxymoron for Angel Pagan.

162. Comment posted by Simons on March 14, 2008 at 11:30 pm (#628703)

Skip Toom = Alou

Sling Blade = Pelfrey

164. Comment posted by Simons on March 14, 2008 at 11:42 pm (#628704)

Cinco = Santana. (Rule 5 draft pick)