September 12, 2007

My Whereabouts
by: 86Forever on Sep 12, 2007 3:35 PM | Filed under: Journals

Greetings to all.

I understand from some of my dear friends on this board that many of you have been asking after me, wondering where I disappeared to. I apologize for seemingly dropping off the face of the Earth.

The truth is I was diagnosed several weeks ago with a medical condition that may very likely result in brain surgery. I don’t report this for shock value or to elicit sympathy; I simply want to let you know I’m alive, albeit with an abnormal brain (but you already knew that).

Given my current medical state, I simply don’t have the energy, stamina or quick wits to give and take on the board. I do check in from time to time to see what all my wonderful Geek friends are saying, particularly after a thrilling win or frustrating defeat. This board and my friends who populate it are a wonderful distraction these days – as are our beloved Metsies.

I will try to post when I have an update on my condition. In the meantime, I am thinking of you all. Please feel free to post here – it will be good to see your smiling names.

Thanks everyone – and Let’s Go Mets!

43 Responses to “My Whereabouts”

1. Comment posted by Danny on September 12, 2007 at 3:42 pm (#506664)

You know I wish the best for you, Abby Normal.

3. Comment posted by dptydwg420 on September 12, 2007 at 3:44 pm (#506671)

We love you man.

Best wishes. We miss you.

4. Comment posted by john on September 12, 2007 at 3:44 pm (#506672)

Wow I hope everything goes well. I will definitely keep you in my prayers dude.

5. Comment posted by eNjayeMeF on September 12, 2007 at 3:44 pm (#506675)

WOW 86. We miss you here. Sorry this is happening to you.
    Please get better

6. Comment posted by DoctorK16 on September 12, 2007 at 3:45 pm (#506676)

Best wishes.

7. Comment posted by sheadenizen on September 12, 2007 at 3:47 pm (#506679)

I’ve said it all already….I’m still wishing on that star!

8. Comment posted by C Low on September 12, 2007 at 3:54 pm (#506694)

Get better 86. All the best!

9. Comment posted by bcuster on September 12, 2007 at 3:56 pm (#506695)

oh my gosh! i am so sorry. i am hoping you come back with all guns blazing soon,86. you made me laugh the most here. i will pray for you..

10. Comment posted by Virginia Met’s Fan on September 12, 2007 at 4:05 pm (#506708)

Good lord 87, we’re going to need you come October.

Seriously, I wish you all the best. Garrie’s sister has lived with brain cancer for 10 years. It’s an amazing story. She’s traveled all over the country to see doctors.

Please know I’ll be thinking of you and your family. Let us know if there is anything any of us can do. Like send a casserole or babysit, not that you’d hire a babysitter from some blog, but if you need anything do not hesitate to ask.

11. Comment posted by udamnwright on September 12, 2007 at 4:10 pm (#506715)

Udax and Mrs Udamn wish you the best and our thought will be with you.

12. Comment posted by Kneel Before Zod! on September 12, 2007 at 4:15 pm (#506720)

crap, 86. best wishes.

14. Comment posted by Future on September 12, 2007 at 4:25 pm (#506736)

Best from me, 86.

15. Comment posted by Ramon on September 12, 2007 at 4:25 pm (#506737)

Hey 86, get well man. I will be pulling for you to make a full recovery and beat this thing. Take care and stay strong.

16. Comment posted by Ed in Westchester 2.0 on September 12, 2007 at 4:26 pm (#506738)

86 my prayers are with you.

18. Comment posted by PHL on September 12, 2007 at 4:26 pm (#506739)

Good luck, 86. We miss you, and we’re all pulling for you.

19. Comment posted by Gus Gloom on September 12, 2007 at 4:32 pm (#506752)

We love Him
    (Oh yes we love Him)
    We’ll follow
    (We’re gonna follow)
    True love
    (He’ll always be our true, true love)
    86Forever
    (Now until 86forever)
    We love Him, We love Him, We love Him,
    And where 86 goes,
    We’ll follow, We’ll follow, We’ll follow,
    86′ll always be our true love,
    Our true love, our true love,
    From now until 86forever,
    86Forever, 86forever…

20. Comment posted by sarah on September 12, 2007 at 4:32 pm (#506753)

You’ve always been a great contributer to this board. Hope to see you back soon and in good health! My thoughts/prayers are with you as well…

21. Comment posted by fatt lipp on September 12, 2007 at 4:36 pm (#506761)

Thoughts and prayers, 86. Get well and return with your supreme wit intact.

22. Comment posted by Dan Scotto on September 12, 2007 at 4:41 pm (#506770)

My thoughts and prayers are with you as well.

24. Comment posted by MetsFanSince71 on September 12, 2007 at 4:46 pm (#506776)

My thoughts and prayers are with you, 86….I’ve been missing you on here like crazy, but your health is foremost in my mind right now!

Also know that right now, there are a T-O-N of hot ’80s babes pulling for you as I know you would pull for them! Let me rephrase that…. :)

Please don’t hesitate to let me (and anyone else) know if there’s any way we can help!

God Bless and take care….

Your friend in Geek,

25. Comment posted by MountVernonMetsFan on September 12, 2007 at 4:59 pm (#506781)

Thoughts and prayers with you 86.

26. Comment posted by mdog1111 on September 12, 2007 at 5:10 pm (#506785)

Hey 86 hang in there. You have a lot of people here who care about you and the site would not be the same without you. You will be in my prayers and I know you can beat this….I have one question??? Are you sure this isn’t exploratory surgery trying to see if there is a brain in there???? I thought you could use a laugh. Good luck my friend

27. Comment posted by Chaucer on September 12, 2007 at 5:26 pm (#506789)

86: get well.

29. Comment posted by Confused on September 12, 2007 at 5:51 pm (#506799)

Best wishes.get well asap.

31. Comment posted by pj (blockquotes nazi) on September 12, 2007 at 6:12 pm (#506810)

86, i blame CHiP.

Brains are complicated things and the more you know about them the more amazing it is that they function as well as they do for as long as they can.

best wishes for a speedy recovery and generous prescriptions from your doc.

32. Comment posted by Athena on September 12, 2007 at 6:15 pm (#506815)

Hi 86Forever. I just wanted to add my thoughts and good wishes for your complete recovery. You’ve made a huge contribution to the fun and content on this site and you are missed. I’m looking forward to your return to daily (and repeated!) postings.

33. Comment posted by Woodman on September 12, 2007 at 6:19 pm (#506822)

86 you will get through it, modern medicine is outstanding in todays day and age. I’m proof of that fact, buck up buddy. The mets woudlnt dare win a championship with out you. If you need an ear give me your e-mail address and I will give you my number to talk to anytime you need to get things off your chest.

35. Comment posted by pj (blockquotes nazi) on September 12, 2007 at 6:32 pm (#506834)

♥········································································♥

Get Well soon! (NH)

♥········································································♥

37. Comment posted by Simons on September 12, 2007 at 6:46 pm (#506838)

You’re in our thoughts and prayers, 86. Get well soon, baby.

39. Comment posted by Lunkwill Fook on September 12, 2007 at 6:47 pm (#506840)

That sucks. Get better. That’s an order.

40. Comment posted by Dave Magadan on September 12, 2007 at 7:07 pm (#506847)

Damn…86 I hope you get well soon. The Geek aint the same w/o you. Heres to a speedy recovery and to get your witty comments back on the board. We’re pulling for you here at the geek! :)

42. Comment posted by tim from STL. on September 12, 2007 at 7:10 pm (#506849)

Man is a creature of hope and invention, both of which belie the idea that things cannot be changed.

I am by no means a religous man, but you will be in my thoughts…..

44. Comment posted by Jessica on September 12, 2007 at 7:37 pm (#506879)

I’ll definitely be keeping you in my thoughts, 86. I wish you a full and speedy recovery from what ails you, and may you soon be back to arguing with Danny about what to wear to the game ;-)

46. Comment posted by Alex Nelson on September 12, 2007 at 8:46 pm (#507016)

You absolutely have the thoughts and prayers of everyone on here, 86. Get better soon, ’cause this place ain’t the same without you.

47. Comment posted by BOB A. BOOEY on September 12, 2007 at 9:27 pm (#507127)

86 get well soon,, you will be in our thoughts ,,,,,,,,

49. Comment posted by Chris in GA on September 12, 2007 at 10:28 pm (#507378)

86,

I’d like to echo the sentiments of my fellow Geeks by saying that you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. You know how much you mean to all of us. Your one of the people that I think makes up the backbone of this site.

I think the only proper thing for me to do is something that dates back to last offseason. For the new people around here, me and 86 had a tit for tat politically motivated smear campaign against one another cause we supported different guys to start for us in RF. We weren’t the only ones involved in this debate but we were the only ones who took out ads on metsgeek supporting our position. I am now changing my position.

Mow the Lawn!

(except vs John Smoltz)

51. Comment posted by Eric Simon on September 13, 2007 at 12:06 am (#507479)

Love and Metsies, Tom. Get well soon, bud; we’ll all be thinking of you.

52. Comment posted by bahktin on September 13, 2007 at 5:10 am (#507615)

They have a phrase down in these parts, 86. Kia Kaha. Means “stay strong”. Best wishes to you and yours. Looking forward to your fast wit back here soon.

54. Comment posted by 86Forever on September 13, 2007 at 8:58 am (#507646)

Wow. Thank you all so much for your postings. I am truly humbled, embarrassed and so, so grateful.

In a week, I go back to the hospital for some more tests. Those will decide my path. My guess is we’ll know a lot more in about 10 days. As energy permits, I’ll keep you posted.

Thanks again to all of you. I am very touched by this page, I must say. And LOL, mdog.

And thanks everyone for last night’s win. Let’s Go Mets!

86Forever

PS – Wood, you’re my inspiration brother. Thank you.

55. Comment posted by Lister on September 13, 2007 at 11:27 am (#507776)

86 – the water level in the pool of imaginative and big-hearted writing that goes on here at the geek has receded in your absence. i can only hope for a speediest of recoveries for you. you seem a truly good guy, and i trust in any cosmic justice that exists to shine on you and your golden locks.

hugs and handpounds,
    list

56. Comment posted by Ellis Dee on September 13, 2007 at 11:35 am (#507779)

So sorry to here this, 86. There may be a problem with your head, but your heart is solid gold (nh). I’m sure the nurses will help you get this licked in no time, err something along those lines. ;) Get well soon.

57. Comment posted by Dave in Spain on September 13, 2007 at 12:07 pm (#507801)

Sorry to hear the news 86. The good thing is that medical science can do some amazing things nowadays. Wishing you all the best health and good luck, and eagerly awaiting your return to geekdom.
    Hang in there…

58. Comment posted by metswin2007 on September 14, 2007 at 7:01 am (#508563)

Get well 86. You area good friend and person. We need your wit on here for the playoffs, so hurry up ;-)