July 3, 2007

If There’s a Will, There HAS To Be a Way
by: 86Forever on Jul 3, 2007 9:00 AM | Filed under: Journals

I know so much of what I post here is foolishness, but in this post, I am dead (forgive me) serious.

Last night, my wife and I finished our wills. Yes, I’m an adult now (although those of you who met me at Geekapalooza may feel differently). I have two kids, and doing the will was the responsible thing to do.  Here’s the rub:

I have written in my will that I want to be cremated, and the ashes spread out over the Shea/Citifield area – either from the air, or on the ground.  My wife (as usual) thinks I’m nuts, but that’s where I wish my remains to be tossed before I leave this mortal coil.

Those of you who have read my handful of serious posts know my background:  I have been a diehard Mets fan since my memory came online.  The team was born in 1962 – so was I.  The year I started really rooting for them was 1969. I met my wife in 1986. My son is now a diehard like me. And so on. And so forth. They have been the soundtrack of my life.  So that’s where I want the last of me hurled (so to speak).

Questions:  Reactions? Am I nuts? (Forget that question; I know the answer.) Do you think it’s possible? (i.e., are there any laws that would prohibit it?)

86F appreciates your help – and attendance at the sprinkling (so to speak).

11 Responses to “If There’s a Will, There HAS To Be a Way”

1. Comment posted by dptydwg420 on July 3, 2007 at 9:58 am (#399572)

wow. this is serious.

my first reaction is wow. I dont think its crazy. Hardcore – yes. Crazy – no. I actually like it a lot. Maybe I’ll join ya ;)

I think its possible. Maybe the mets wont sign off on it, but i cant imagine they would stop you from dumping them in the OF or something. i really have no clue though.

2. Comment posted by sheadenizen on July 3, 2007 at 10:02 am (#399579)

If worse comes to worse, someone can do that ‘run the bases thing’ that they allow after certain games and sprinkle (so to speak) as they go. Who’d know?

3. Comment posted by john on July 3, 2007 at 10:39 am (#399622)

The team was born in 1962 – so was I. The year I started really rooting for them was 1969. I met my wife in 1986.

Do u know what i think? I think we need to make sure that something really good happens to u in 07 :)

4. Comment posted by Danny on July 3, 2007 at 11:09 am (#399667)

I would happily get arrested on your behalf in order to fulfill this wish.

6. Comment posted by MetsFanSince71 on July 3, 2007 at 11:38 am (#399705)

seriously, 86, I have had the same idea for a very long time – even before the concept of CitiField came into being

ps: i was born in 1961, the Mets a year later :)

7. Comment posted by sheadenizen on July 3, 2007 at 12:18 pm (#399762)

Maybe we should plan a Geek Scattering Day at Citi Field?

8. Comment posted by Gus Gloom on July 3, 2007 at 3:14 pm (#399876)

how about if we put your ashes in a bunch of pepper shakers and surreptitiously distribute them at the food stands in the new Citifield?

9. Comment posted by Woodman on July 3, 2007 at 4:38 pm (#399976)

What would be cool would be having another geek just dig a 1 shovel full clump of dirt somewhere in the Shea grounds and simply pour the ashes in and replace the sod above. Great idea 86 im going to do a will soon anyway so I will also add that in.

10. Comment posted by FMF on July 4, 2007 at 7:55 pm (#400552)

It certainly isn’t crazy. It is a hell of a way to be remembered. As one of the youngest geeks (apparently) though, I don’t think I have to worry about myself just yet, but maybe when I do write a will, that will be part of it.

11. Comment posted by littlefallsmets on July 5, 2007 at 3:20 am (#400939)

Whatever gets you through the night, it’s all right. It’s all right.

12. Comment posted by Ellis Dee on July 5, 2007 at 6:52 pm (#401790)

From the air:
    The pilot would need to get permission from air traffic control to overfly the stadium. So it would need to be done during off-peak traffic at La Guardia (late night, early morning?). The pilot would not necessarily need to tell them it was to dump ashes. It would have to be done when no game is being played there. It would be legal as long as ATC gives permission. There’s no way to make sure the ashes actually land on the grounds.