June 3, 2007

Please Don’t Be Chavez Ravine East
by: 86Forever on Jun 3, 2007 5:32 PM | Filed under: Journals

Let me be clear:  I’m very excited about a new stadium.  Those of us who have spent our lives going to Shea Stadium know that we have deserved better for a long time.  (As I said to my son, yes, it’s a toilet, but it’s OUR toilet.)

I also am very pleased with the design and idea behind the Jackie Robinson Rotunda. A very classy and appropriate move by the Wilpons.

Now, here is where my worry begins. If you didn’t know better, you might wonder who the home team will be in this new stadium. First off, every time Fred “Meaningful Games” Wilpon opens his mouth about the place, its “Ebbets Field this” and “Ebbets Field that.” I understand he grew up at the park, and I appreciate the position that the stadium holds in New York City National League history.  But ol’ bolt-bucket Shea has been around now for 43 years. Love it or hate it, we have a lot of history of our own tied up in that stadium.  And pardon me for mentioning it, but the Dodgers left — on their own accord, mind you — nearly 50 YEARS ago!

From what I read and see, there’s simply too much Dodger history tied up in the place. One of the major concession areas is called “Duke’s Grille.” I don’t think they misspelled “El Duque.” What? “Casey’s Condiments” was trademarked? “Kingman’s Kosher” is taken?

I also read there will be a history of Brooklyn baseball at the new place. Excuse me? It’s in Flushing, not Flatbush.

As I said, I’m thrilled we’re getting a new home, and I will be there Opening Day 2009 and, I hope, for many years thereafter. My point is that we will be nearly 50 years old by the time the place opens. We have a ton of our own legacies and legends – enough to fill the park many times over.

Let this be the Mets’ stadium, Fred. The Dodgers have their ravine — 3,000 miles to the west, where they ran to half a century ago.

6 Responses to “Please Don’t Be Chavez Ravine East”

1. Comment posted by Future on June 3, 2007 at 9:06 pm (#365967)

I totally agree. This is a Mets stadium. This is in QUEENS. It should reflect our history, not the Brooklyn Dodgers’ history, not matter how much Wilpon has fond memories of Ebbets’ Field.

2. Comment posted by john on June 4, 2007 at 8:53 am (#366039)

I totally agree. I have no problem with them incorporating some dodger or giant history (after all that is where we get our colors from), however the mets have been around over 40 years now. We have our own history. One that needs to be incorporated into CitiField as well.

As a side note, I know Shea is a dump but I loved it. The countless memories I have from that place, i’ll never forget.

3. Comment posted by Ed in Westchester on June 4, 2007 at 11:19 am (#366107)

Well done 86.

I agree. Let’s tip our caps to Seaver, Koosman, Keith and others as well. They could have a picture kiosk named “Carter’s Camera”. The list is endless.

4. Comment posted by bcuster on June 4, 2007 at 2:05 pm (#366184)

yes, 86, i agree with every sentence you wrote. let’s ditch the borrowed team colors and pinstripes in time for 2009, while we are at it… we have honored the ancient (and living) ghosts long enough…

5. Comment posted by Ellis Dee on June 4, 2007 at 10:22 pm (#366391)

As I said to my son, yes, it’s a toilet, but it’s OUR toilet.

Flushing Bowl?

I thought Paul LoDuca was getting a royaltiy for this?

I agree that this new park should reflect the Mets history and not the Dodgers.

Anyway, this might be the first (mostly) serious thing i’ve seen you write. Still, there’s something funny about ‘Wilpon and his Ebbet Envy’ in a serious way. Not funny – ha ha, but funny – farmish. Like he’s trying to build a memorial or a shrine to the days of his youth gone by. Grasping, but unable to quite bring it back into manifestation.

6. Comment posted by metswin2007 on June 4, 2007 at 11:16 pm (#366417)

Custer, you just wanna see us wear green and gold ;-).

Great article 86 and very true. Shea stadium will be missed thats for sure. Ive had alot of great moments there as did the Mets. I dont want to see us honor a team thats still playing too. Makes no sense. When they come to Citi Bank are we the visitors?