November 30, 2006

What’s Wrong With Standing Pat?
by: Future on Nov 30, 2006 3:02 PM | Filed under: Articles

It seems to me that the New York media is looking for the move that Omar Minaya is supposed to make as the GM of a big market team. But what if there really aren’t that many more moves to make? What if Minaya cares more about the long term ramifications of any over-reaches he makes in this almost-bare cupboard of free agents?

The only real free agents that fit in the Mets needs this off-season are Moises Alou, a righty bat who can hit lefties, and Barry Zito, a front end of the rotation starter with less than spectacular peripherals but will eat innings like Pac-Man eats power pellets.

Well if the Mets organization only needs two players, and the Mets have already signed one of them, what is the worry about? Is it worrying for the sake of worrying, because there really isn’t any Mets news?

The only recent news about the Mets was a blurb about how Pedro’s rehab is going well and he expects to be back at midseason. That’s news?

Anyways, I digress.

It’s really less about how much the Mets need to improve, and more about what has happened to the other contenders for the NL Pennant.

Let’s first examine the Dodgers, the Mets first round opponent from a year ago. Their real weaknesses have not been addressed. Their major move? Signing Juan Pierre to play bad defense, hit badly, and steal bases.

Too bad he can’t steal first base. The best part about this deal? That’s right, Juan Pierre, hitting in front of Furcal. Grady Little will use his “old school” cranium and put Juan Pierre at the top ahead of Furcal. Instead of hitting Rafael Furcal at the top, he’s going to have Pierre hitting up there, who should be hitting 8th. Or 9th.

So, they’ve lost J.D. Drew, replaced him with, well, Marlon Anderson? And they’ve signed Juan Pierre to play centerfield. Yeah, this team is worse than last year. And I didn’t even mention that their closer is looking like he’s going to return to Japan.

The Padres have traded Josh Barfield away for a guy who is going to play third base. While that’s positive for the 3B slot, it’s robbing Peter to feed Paul, creating a big hole at second base.

Basically, the Padres have stood pat or remained close to the same in terms of offensive and pitching strength. They’re not better.

The Cardinals have lost Jeffs Suppan and Weaver, and neither look to be re-signing with the team, and the Cardinals have replaced one of them with Kip Wells. Don’t laugh, I said Kip Wells. Yeah, he’s going to be a starter, for the Cardinals. They’ve also added Adam Kennedy, again, no real improvement.
The Mets were the better team last year, and pushed it to 7 games looking more incompetent at the plate than they had all season. The Cardinals were not better than the Mets last season save for 4 games, and they aren’t better now. The Mets right now at this point of the off-season are superior in every way to the Cardinals.

In addition to last year’s playoff teams, the other 2007 playoff contenders include the Astros, the Giants, the Braves and the Marlins.

The Astros have lost Clemens and Pettite, and have signed Carlos Lee for 6 years/100 million. While Lee is going to be very good, at least for 07, with that short left field porch, can his addition really counter-act losing Clemens and to a lesser extent Pettite? I don’t believe so.

The Braves have done nothing this offseason. The Marlins will be a year older, which might be the only team to think that’s a positive thing, as they will all have played at least one year in the big leagues now.
Really, anything can happen in the playoffs. Unfortunately for Mets fans, inferior teams beat superior teams in the playoffs all the time. All we can hope is that Omar can set the team up through trades and free agency to be stronger. But he doesn’t have to make it any stronger; this team is already setup for another deep playoff run.

Even without Zito *and* Glavine, the Mets are the best team in the NL right now. They have a lineup that will carry them through pitchers’ bad days.

The rotation without Zito and Glavine would have:

John Maine
Oliver Perez
Orlando Hernandez

As the definite trio and:

Dave Williams
Mike Pelfrey/Brian Bannister

For the other two slots.

And if we get Zito *and* Glavine to sign, we’ll be fine, we’ll have to pull one of the three definite starters from the rotation to make room for Pedro anyways.

What I’m saying is that the offense can carry that rotation into the playoffs and fourth and fifth starters aren’t really necessary for the playoffs anyway. Don’t worry Mets fans, remember, we’re already the best team in the NL, and if we get Zito or Glavine or both, we’ll be even better.

The NL is that weak.

The AL is a story for another day, but let’s worry about the Mets making it to the World Series first.

342 Responses to “What’s Wrong With Standing Pat?”

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]

1. Comment posted by Pickels on December 1, 2006 at 12:34 am (#179661)

Lost a post
    I am sad
    it was funny
    so I cry

Pickles

3. Comment posted by Pickels on December 1, 2006 at 12:35 am (#179662)

number 1

Pickles

4. Comment posted by n in nj on December 1, 2006 at 12:35 am (#179663)

no cry over spilt pickles.

6. Comment posted by Pickels on December 1, 2006 at 12:39 am (#179664)

Pickles is pleased
    Metsgeek gods made my post appear
    I like Metsgeek
    It is Rad
    You know what rhymes with Rad
    Sad
    Sad is how I feel
    When I think of Even Maclane
    In a Tucson Sidewinders uniform
    or even a Tucson Toros tuesday night throwback
    Darn you Omar Motorola
    Shawn Green also makes me sad

8. Comment posted by Pickels on December 1, 2006 at 12:39 am (#179665)

pickles

9. Comment posted by Udamn on December 1, 2006 at 12:42 am (#179666)

Pickles,
    I think Green is Great.

11. Comment posted by Pickels on December 1, 2006 at 12:43 am (#179667)

Udamn wrong
    Pickles is right
    to prove I’m right
    I shall shout it out
    for the world to hear

SHAWN GREEN = BAD BALLPLAYER

Pickles

12. Comment posted by n in nj on December 1, 2006 at 12:44 am (#179668)

Like Shawn Green, also fan of Green Pickles

13. Comment posted by Udamn on December 1, 2006 at 12:46 am (#179669)

Pickles you sound like poster u right, are you u right, except oh so wrong about the Green Man.

15. Comment posted by Pickels on December 1, 2006 at 12:47 am (#179670)

Pickles knows when he is unwanted
    Spent my formible years on the clear to sell shelf
    Why couldnt I be Dill?

Pickles

17. Comment posted by Pickels on December 1, 2006 at 12:47 am (#179671)

I am not U right
    Sorry
    you know who I am

Pickles

19. Comment posted by Ellis Dee on December 1, 2006 at 12:48 am (#179672)

Pickels,
    No love for Green?
    Pickels are green.
    Shawn catches Pickels, not balls.

20. Comment posted by OutOfMarketFan on December 1, 2006 at 12:49 am (#179673)

Friends don’t let friends allow Shawn Green play defense.

21. Comment posted by Udamn on December 1, 2006 at 12:49 am (#179674)

Pickles rules.

22. Comment posted by Udamn on December 1, 2006 at 12:50 am (#179675)

Pickels,
    No love for Green?
    Pickels are green.
    Shawn catches Pickels, not balls.

That rules.

23. Comment posted by relish on December 1, 2006 at 12:51 am (#179676)

pickles…is that you?

24. Comment posted by Dill on December 1, 2006 at 12:52 am (#179677)

Ha ha you wanna be but you can’t see me.

26. Comment posted by Pickels on December 1, 2006 at 12:52 am (#179678)

Udamn put a tear in Pickles eye
    I need a place to hide out
    when im on the run
    from the traffic cop
    will you help me?
    I know where East Brunswick is
    I use to go to the Brunswick Square mall
    I once urinated in their restroom

Pickles

27. Comment posted by cucumber on December 1, 2006 at 12:53 am (#179679)

i knew you before you were so…salty.

28. Comment posted by Udamn on December 1, 2006 at 12:54 am (#179680)

Maybe Pickles

30. Comment posted by Pickels on December 1, 2006 at 12:55 am (#179681)

Rt 18 is the finest highway
    in central new jersey

Pickles

31. Comment posted by Udamn on December 1, 2006 at 12:56 am (#179682)

Gotta sleep catch all tom.

33. Comment posted by The Loose Cannon on December 1, 2006 at 12:56 am (#179683)

Later Udamn

35. Comment posted by The Loose Cannon on December 1, 2006 at 12:57 am (#179684)

According to Newsday, Tom Glavine is no longer expected to tell the Mets where he wants to pitch next year prior to his previous Sunday deadline.

If he’s extending the deadline to next week, it’s another sign that he really would prefer to pitch in Atlanta. He knows exactly what the Mets have to offer, and all indications are that they want him more than the Braves do. Also, they have the better chance of going to the World Series. It’s a no-brainer in baseball terms.

36. Comment posted by cucumber on December 1, 2006 at 12:58 am (#179685)

nighty night Udamn.

38. Comment posted by The Loose Cannon on December 1, 2006 at 12:59 am (#179686)

credit rotoworld for the Glavine Newsday report

39. Comment posted by cucumber on December 1, 2006 at 1:00 am (#179687)

not surprised, dont think hid heart was ever in ny, left it in ga.

41. Comment posted by The Deputy on December 1, 2006 at 1:00 am (#179688)

oh jesus tlc, i come home drunk to this crap. i knew it. i declare punkdom on glavineville

42. Comment posted by n in nj on December 1, 2006 at 1:01 am (#179689)

btw, i was all the condiments there except for two…

44. Comment posted by The Loose Cannon on December 1, 2006 at 1:03 am (#179690)

Welcome back Dep.

46. Comment posted by The Deputy on December 1, 2006 at 1:06 am (#179691)

yes yes thank you. i dont have too long. i like bed.

47. Comment posted by n in nj on December 1, 2006 at 1:06 am (#179692)

hey dep;

“My name is Hideki Okajima, and I like Boston,” he said. “Call me Okaji.”

49. Comment posted by The Deputy on December 1, 2006 at 1:09 am (#179693)

that newsday article is so blah

i’m gonna drive myself crazy over this one, i feel it

51. Comment posted by The Loose Cannon on December 1, 2006 at 1:09 am (#179694)

im going to bed. I just got home myself. Later

53. Comment posted by The Deputy on December 1, 2006 at 1:10 am (#179695)

i cant wait to see everyone change their arguments for why glavine is a-ok in their book.

its all about family dude…..

55. Comment posted by The Deputy on December 1, 2006 at 1:10 am (#179696)

gnite tlc

funny nj

57. Comment posted by The Deputy on December 1, 2006 at 1:10 am (#179697)

i’m off too….to be continued

59. Comment posted by The Loose Cannon on December 1, 2006 at 1:11 am (#179698)

that newsday article is so blah

i’m gonna drive myself crazy over this one, i feel it

Its funny since Chass just said a decision would be made tomorrow. Lyte said it was a great written article or something

61. Comment posted by The Loose Cannon on December 1, 2006 at 1:11 am (#179699)

bye bye bye

62. Comment posted by n in nj on December 1, 2006 at 1:13 am (#179700)

night dudes, please do not lose sleep over glavine, he isnt losing sleep over us.

63. Comment posted by u right on December 1, 2006 at 8:14 am (#179703)

good morning, this is a funny joke. had to share

A man boarded an airplane and took his seat. As he settled in, he
    glanced up and saw the most beautiful
    woman boarding the plane.

He soon realized she was heading straight towards his seat.

As fate would have it, she took the seat right beside his.

Eager to strike up a conversation he
    blurted out, “Business trip or pleasure?”

She turned, smiled and said, “Business.
    I’m going to the Annual
    Nymphomaniacs of America Convention in Chicago.”

He swallowed hard. Here was the most
    Gorgeous woman he had ever seen
    sitting next to him, and she was going to a
    meeting of nymphomaniacs.

Struggling to maintain his composure, he
    calmly asked, “What’s your business role at this
    convention?”

“Lecturer,” she responded. “I use
    information that I have learned from
    my personal experiences to debunk some
    of the popular myths about sexuality.”

“Really?” he said. “And what kind of
    myths are there?”

“Well,” she explained, “one popular myth
    is that African-Americans are the most

well-endowed of all men,
    when in fact it is the Native American

Indian who is most likely to
    possess that trait.

Another popular myth is that Frenchmen
    are the best lovers when
    actually it is men of Jewish descent who
    are the best.

I have also discovered that the lover
    with absolutely the best stamina
    is the Southern Redneck.”

Suddenly the woman became a little
    uncomfortable and blushed. “I’m
    sorry,” she said, “I shouldn’t really be
    discussing all of this with you. I don’t

even know your name.”

“Tonto,” the man said, “Tonto Goldstein,
    but my friends call me Bubba.”

64. Comment posted by Steve I. on December 1, 2006 at 8:27 am (#179704)

Good way to start the day u right. Thanks!

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]