October 5, 2006

PostGame Commentary: NLDS Game 1
by: The Geeks on Oct 5, 2006 12:00 AM | Filed under: Articles

Alex Nelson: It was incredible at Shea.

Eric Simon: Oh right, you were there.

Alex: Yeah, I just got back.

Eric: So? First Mets playoff game in six years. Do tell.

Alex: My first playoff game. Crowd was electric. I was in the upper deck so maybe it was rowdier than most, but the fans stayed in it the whole game. Wild cheering before the game every time a Met took the field for tosses, etc.

Alex: The double play was incredible.

Eric: The two outs at home?

Alex: After it happened I had to double check the scoreboard and the runners on base to make sure I didn’t imagine it. I went hoarse entirely because of that play.

Eric: I was watching it at work. I’ve never seen anything like that before in my life. Tim Kurkjian tells me it was the first time it ever happened in the postseason.

Alex: I’ve never seen it before in a game.

Eric: What was the crowd reaction to Guillermo Mota batting with the bases loaded?

Alex: You know, I’m not really sure. I think there was a little surprise that it was happening so the crowd was quiet for that. It helped that the Mets had just scored a couple of runs, and so the fact that they had a chance to blow it wide open might not have quite sunk in.

Alex: I overheard a couple guys questioning it.

Eric: In retrospect — though I’ll admit I was also thinking it at times during the game — the Mets were very fortunate to come away with a victory today. They got very lucky that only one run scored in the second inning, the Mota batting incident was questionable to be sure, and the Valentin brain fart the following half inning was pretty disastrous.

Alex: Absolutely. Couldn’t agree more. I understand Willie’s reasoning for letting Mota hit for himself. He pigeonholed himself by carrying too many pitchers, and Mota is a decent hitter for a pitcher. But when you have a chance like that you’ve gotta take it.

Alex: One fan made a great point, comparing it to Mangini’s “playing to win” with the Jets last weekend. Except here Willie was playing not to lose, and it cost him, even if the Mets pulled out with the win.

Eric: Shawn Green made a nice play on the carom off the wall but was otherwise useless today. If he takes another 0-fer is there any chance we’ll see my boy Endy start Game 3?

Alex: I have no idea. Willie’s usually pretty loyal to his guys. But the playoff atmosphere might make Willie change his mind. A lot depends on Cliff Floyd.

Eric: For the record, the Mets are 3-0 when I wear my custom Endy Chavez t-shirt.

Alex: My hat’s still got you beat.

Eric: You’ve got a few game head start on me. The shirt won’t ever trump the hat unless you stop wearing it.

Eric: Or if they lose when it’s on and I don’t wear the shirt that day. Hmm.

Alex: I don’t think either one of us is gonna do that, do you?

Eric: Not likely.

Eric: Where did Delgado’s blast land, by the way? It went off-screen on the TV broadcast.

Alex: Oh just over the straightaway centerfield wall.

Alex: As far as I could tell it didn’t bounce off anything.

Eric: From the replay it doesn’t even look like it came down. One estimate I heard pegged it at 470 feet.

Alex: I could be wrong then. I remember seeing the ball drop, but I lost the ball for a second once I realized it was gone. So it’s possible it bounced off something first. Things were pretty ecstatic at that moment.

Alex: What did you think of Maine?

Eric: I think this was pretty typical of his regular season efforts. His fastball definitely jumps, but once again he had some problems commanding his off-speed pitches and the Dodger hitters are good enough and patient enough to gear up for the fastball when he’s not getting anything else over with any consistency.

Alex: Yeah. I wasn’t keeping close track but I saw very little in the way of offspeed stuff, and when he did throw it, it was down in the dirt.

Eric: I give him a lot of credit, though. He kept the Mets in the game, and handed the ball to the bullpen with the Mets in the lead. Another inning or two would have been great, but he may be available to start or relieve later in the series should the need arise.

Alex: The dude was lights out in the first though, and got my hopes up that he was gonna be on tonight — going right after guys with the fastball, but after that he started nibbling like he’s prone to.

Alex: The good news about the pen is that with the exception of Mota, they all kept their pitch counts reasonably low. And with an off day in a couple days, it probably won’t be a big deal that Maine only went 4 1/3.

Eric: He throws hard with movement, and if he can develop some decent secondary pitches he can be a very effective pitcher in the bigs.

Eric: Amazing he’s done so well with little more than a fastball working most of the time.

Alex: Seriously tonight, from the 3rd-5th innings, I might have counted only a couple of offspeed pitches. At least according to Shea’s scoreboard.

Eric: And we know how accurate that is.

Alex: Exactly. Pitching is one of those things that’s always better on TV than at the park.

Eric: Right. Everything looks like a fastball in person.

Alex: Unless you happen to have great seats and know what to look for

Eric: Yea, that definitely wasn’t you tonight.

Alex: No, sure wasn’t.

Eric: I was really impressed with the pitching altogether. Even though Mota gave up three earned runs, there was a bunt, the fielder’s choice, an error. He struck out four in his two innings of work and generally looked good. Feliciano and Bradford got their one out apiece, Heilman was dominant like new Heilman always is, and Wagner got the job done for the first time in his postseason career.

Alex: Wagner made it interesting though.

Eric: He admitted he was more nervous than usual. His slider was pretty sloppy early in the inning, but he was really sharp against Furcal and Nomah.

Alex: I have to admit it. When he gave up the double to Martinez, I was sure he was gonna let the tying run in. Oh ye of little faith, I know.

Eric: He’ll probably die a little inside after reading that.

Alex: I’m sure. Me and Wags, we’re like this.

Eric: Chaw, drawl, two peas in a pod.

Alex: Hunting trips together. Great cribbage player, also.

Eric: Trading Alpaca breeding tips.

Alex: More his thing than mine that. But he loves ’em.

Eric: It was nice to see Delgado and Wright come out flying. Wright finished the season strong after a weak August, but Delgado was pretty streaky throughout the course of the season. Beltran went 0-for-2 but picked up three walks, so a nice game for him too.

Alex: It’s funny. Beltran’s been in a slump but walked a ton in September. In fact, one of the things that struck me about the Mets was how consistent their team OBA was even when the batting average fluctuated. The team almost picks itself up that way when it’s struggling. Maybe that’s a baseball-wide thing. I dunno.

Eric: I just love guys who know how to draw a walk. Helps avoid long slumps, methinks.

Alex: I’m not so sure it does, but it cushions them.

Eric: Well, in the sense that you’re making a positive offensive contribution even when you’re not hitting the ball well.

Alex: Right. No clue about time length though.

Eric: I started and ended that sentence with “well”. 50 points for me.

Alex: Just like the LoDuca play!

Eric: I’m gonna wrap this up with my favorite stat line of the day

Alex: Mets pen really came through. And has all season.

Eric: Tomorrow night the Mets are in prime time, looking to make it 2-0.

Eric: You going?

Alex: Not so lucky.

Eric: Slumming it like the rest of us.

Alex: My dad is though, and is getting a luxury suite.

Eric: Gah, lucky indeed.

Alex: Yeah, and the guy’s a Dodger fan.

Eric: *shakes head*

Eric: For shame.

Alex: What can you do? At least he hates the Yankees.

Eric: We can all rally behind that.

Alex: Except Yankee fans.

Eric: They don’t count.

492 Responses to “PostGame Commentary: NLDS Game 1”

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]

1. Comment posted by Danny on October 5, 2006 at 3:48 pm (#121801)

That was great thing I got from the Neyer chat huh Danny.

udamn, I love you for that stat. I am throwing it in the faces of all my Yankee fan friends for the rest of my life. It’s a real gem.

2. Comment posted by thehotcorner on October 5, 2006 at 3:48 pm (#121802)

you know if the yankees lose this one they’re in for some trouble. i really have my doubts about randy johnson. if he gets chased early that’s it for them, especially with their middle relief.

the yanks are potentially facing rogers, bonderman, robertson (maybe some verlander in relief) and they have RJ, Lidle?, and Wang…

wang is good, but he’s not great and is in fact very comparable to robertson.

heres to the yanks gettin eliminated… no subway series for me, cuz i really don’t think we can beat them.

3. Comment posted by udamnwright on October 5, 2006 at 3:48 pm (#121803)

Custer just broke something. Heilman is the closer of the future for the Mets, unless he can bring something big back in return.

5. Comment posted by Wdwrkr35 on October 5, 2006 at 3:48 pm (#121804)

If heilman pitches next spring training like he did the Last one, I dotn see how they can deny him

6. Comment posted by briancuster on October 5, 2006 at 3:49 pm (#121805)

anything can happen next year

thats the same line of crap willomar fed heilman last winter

8. Comment posted by dptydwg420 on October 5, 2006 at 3:50 pm (#121806)

what is Omar a flunkin idiot?

why would he say that now about heilman.

if heilman gives up any runs tonight or game 3 I completely blame Omar.

You think Heilman wants to hear that s**t now? stupid!

9. Comment posted by briancuster on October 5, 2006 at 3:51 pm (#121807)

if i were pigeon-holed, typecast and denied a chance for a promotion at my job, the way heilman is at his, i would be one pissed dude and looking to bale ASAP

10. Comment posted by Danny on October 5, 2006 at 3:52 pm (#121808)

Wait, so the Tigers can beat the Yanks in a series, but the Mets cannot? The Mets can beat ANYONE in a series

(and lose to anyone too)…

11. Comment posted by udamnwright on October 5, 2006 at 3:52 pm (#121809)

I think it’s the wrong move with Heilman. He deserves a legitimate shot to start. Ever since they got his mechanics fixed, he hasn’t had a legitimate shot to start. It’s mind-blowing.

The thing is he is one of the best set-up men in baseball and he is at best a 3 starter.

13. Comment posted by Wdwrkr35 on October 5, 2006 at 3:53 pm (#121810)

Omar said hes “comfortable with Valentin being the 2nd baseman next year” , saving money for a pitcher perhaps?

14. Comment posted by Danny on October 5, 2006 at 3:54 pm (#121811)

Yes, but we can have Mota and Dirty. Who is our #3 starter?

15. Comment posted by udamnwright on October 5, 2006 at 3:54 pm (#121812)

Dannny don’t forget he has made the most outs ever in the post-season also.

16. Comment posted by briancuster on October 5, 2006 at 3:55 pm (#121813)

we can have Mota and Dirty

don’t forget juan padilla is coming back

18. Comment posted by dptydwg420 on October 5, 2006 at 3:55 pm (#121814)

and heilman will suck again next year once he loses his “important” role.

he’s gettin’ traded…

19. Comment posted by Danny on October 5, 2006 at 3:55 pm (#121815)

Dannny don’t forget he has made the most outs ever in the post-season also.

I forgot about that one. Thank you. That can the lead-in fact to the strikeout one.

20. Comment posted by udamnwright on October 5, 2006 at 3:56 pm (#121816)

I get Aaron wants to start and he may get the chance but being a top set-up man and closer in training is not being punished or treated like garbage.

21. Comment posted by cruz on October 5, 2006 at 3:56 pm (#121817)

hey anyone watching the yankee game? it sounds windy. can anyone translate those winds into shea for me? sounds like its blowing out to center at yankee stadium.

22. Comment posted by Danny on October 5, 2006 at 3:56 pm (#121818)

he’s gettin’ traded…

Agreed. Omar is looking to package Heilman and Milledge for a stud.

23. Comment posted by Future on October 5, 2006 at 3:56 pm (#121819)

There was no point for Omar to say Heilman wouldn’t start next year.

24. Comment posted by Danny on October 5, 2006 at 3:57 pm (#121820)

There was no point for Omar to say Heilman wouldn’t start next year.

Exactly. All he had to say was something like, “As always, we will re-evaluate our pitching situation after the season ends.”

25. Comment posted by mdog1111 on October 5, 2006 at 3:57 pm (#121821)

Mota is a free agent and if he keeps this up someone will want to sign him as a set up man or closer, so he will be expensive

26. Comment posted by briancuster on October 5, 2006 at 3:57 pm (#121822)

he’s gettin’ traded

no doubt; heilman will be part of the package that lands us manny ramirez this winter

28. Comment posted by Wdwrkr35 on October 5, 2006 at 3:58 pm (#121823)

If the wind is blowing out it favors the Mets
    If the wind is blowing in it favors the Mets

I dont see a problem ;-)

30. Comment posted by Wdwrkr35 on October 5, 2006 at 3:58 pm (#121824)

fat boy Giambino K’s again

31. Comment posted by mdog1111 on October 5, 2006 at 3:59 pm (#121825)

I don’t think I ever saw a 103 mph pitch before….WOW

33. Comment posted by Wdwrkr35 on October 5, 2006 at 3:59 pm (#121826)

Omar never said he wont start, he said right now hes considered a bullpen guy

34. Comment posted by Danny on October 5, 2006 at 4:00 pm (#121827)

Zumaya just threw 103 again. And he painted it. That is unfair.

35. Comment posted by briancuster on October 5, 2006 at 4:00 pm (#121828)

but being a top set-up man and close

he wants to be a starter, pure and simple, obviously that is NEVER going to happen while he is wearing blue & orange

36. Comment posted by udamnwright on October 5, 2006 at 4:00 pm (#121829)

Yes, but we can have Mota and Dirty. Who is our #3 starter?

Mota is a free agent and we don’t know what Dirty will be.

don’t forget juan padilla is coming back

He is coming off of Tommy John and has only ever had one good year the second half of ’05.

38. Comment posted by Wdwrkr35 on October 5, 2006 at 4:00 pm (#121830)

K-Rod followed suit, Zamaya is the real deal

39. Comment posted by mdog1111 on October 5, 2006 at 4:01 pm (#121831)

The Red Sox have a problem with Papplebon. He said he wants to start

41. Comment posted by Wdwrkr35 on October 5, 2006 at 4:01 pm (#121832)

didnt Nolan hit 104? I think I saw that one game

42. Comment posted by shoeless on October 5, 2006 at 4:01 pm (#121833)

Hey everyone – errr wow that zumaya guy is not too shabby

43. Comment posted by Danny on October 5, 2006 at 4:02 pm (#121834)

The Red Sox have a problem with Papplebon. He said he wants to start

The Red Sox have already announced that Papelbon is going to start next year.

44. Comment posted by udamnwright on October 5, 2006 at 4:02 pm (#121835)

Do you realize the biggest reason he wants to start is money except if he is this good as a reliever he can make more closing at some point than starting.

Even Wagner has said that Heilman is a starter.

45. Comment posted by udamnwright on October 5, 2006 at 4:04 pm (#121836)

That last line was supposed to say even Wagner said Heilman is a closer.

46. Comment posted by Danny on October 5, 2006 at 4:04 pm (#121837)

Here is a picture of the idiot that got in the way of the Delgado fly ball in foul territory yesterday in the first. I was the only one that got mad about it in the game thread. For the record, this guy is an idiot, and he should never sit this close to the field again.

It’s not hard to know when to try and catch a foul ball.

47. Comment posted by mdog1111 on October 5, 2006 at 4:04 pm (#121838)

Now the Tigers put in their crappy closer

49. Comment posted by dptydwg420 on October 5, 2006 at 4:05 pm (#121839)

that guy is a friggin moron danny, i couldnt agree more

it only makes sense if he was an LA fan

50. Comment posted by briancuster on October 5, 2006 at 4:06 pm (#121840)

idiot that got in the way of the Delgado fly ball

did he get kicked out of the stadium?

52. Comment posted by Wdwrkr35 on October 5, 2006 at 4:06 pm (#121841)

Danny did the you hear on the TV the fans with the ASSHOLE chant, that was the loudest one of the night

53. Comment posted by Danny on October 5, 2006 at 4:07 pm (#121842)

Notice the corporate bozo right near Delgado’s left arm that is trying to get in the way as well, but luckily is too unathletic to do so.

54. Comment posted by udamnwright on October 5, 2006 at 4:07 pm (#121843)

That guy is an idiot. I missed that part taking my kid back to school for a book he forgot so I only heard it on the radio.

55. Comment posted by mdog1111 on October 5, 2006 at 4:07 pm (#121844)

Technically he did nothing wrong for them to kick him out. The ball was in the stands

56. Comment posted by Danny on October 5, 2006 at 4:08 pm (#121845)

Danny did the you hear on the TV the fans with the #### chant, that was the loudest one of the night

I didn’t. But since I was cussing at the TV and typing loudly to MetsGeek, I probably just flat missed it.

58. Comment posted by Wdwrkr35 on October 5, 2006 at 4:08 pm (#121846)

that was Asswhole chant

59. Comment posted by udamnwright on October 5, 2006 at 4:08 pm (#121847)

Except be a bad Met fan mdog.

61. Comment posted by dptydwg420 on October 5, 2006 at 4:08 pm (#121848)

i agree mdog….i wouldnt have kicked him out.

but i guarantee i would have made him sit in the last row in the stadium and gave some little kid his seat.

62. Comment posted by mdog1111 on October 5, 2006 at 4:09 pm (#121849)

Or a good Dodger fan. LOL

64. Comment posted by Wdwrkr35 on October 5, 2006 at 4:09 pm (#121850)

the guy in chicago was bartman, This guy will forever be known as ASSWHOLE

65. Comment posted by udamnwright on October 5, 2006 at 4:10 pm (#121851)

Did I just see that Piazza is not starting for the Pads today?

66. Comment posted by mdog1111 on October 5, 2006 at 4:11 pm (#121852)

A terrible Met fan I agree

68. Comment posted by Wdwrkr35 on October 5, 2006 at 4:11 pm (#121853)

espn was saying Stloius has too many stealing treats to warrent piazza beign in over the other catcher who can throw better

69. Comment posted by mdog1111 on October 5, 2006 at 4:14 pm (#121854)

Todd Jones is not getting through this lineup

70. Comment posted by udamnwright on October 5, 2006 at 4:14 pm (#121855)

That is just stupid considering Wells is a lefty and Piazza can hit and would probably crush Weaver.

71. Comment posted by udamnwright on October 5, 2006 at 4:15 pm (#121856)

yeah that Joel Zumaya is a set-up man who will be a closer and soon.

73. Comment posted by Wdwrkr35 on October 5, 2006 at 4:15 pm (#121857)

might have been kruk who said it too lol

74. Comment posted by Danny on October 5, 2006 at 4:16 pm (#121858)

Alright guys. I won’t be back on until right before the game starts. See you all then. For all that are going to the game, enjoy yourselves, and BE LOUD. Let’s go Mets!

75. Comment posted by udamnwright on October 5, 2006 at 4:16 pm (#121859)

Hey Jorge feel free to swing instead of begging for a walk.

76. Comment posted by mdog1111 on October 5, 2006 at 4:16 pm (#121860)

I can’t believe Posada didn’t swing at that

78. Comment posted by Wdwrkr35 on October 5, 2006 at 4:17 pm (#121861)

later danny

79. Comment posted by udamnwright on October 5, 2006 at 4:17 pm (#121862)

Later Danny

80. Comment posted by udamnwright on October 5, 2006 at 4:19 pm (#121863)

Got quiet quick

81. Comment posted by Tom Ace / Tom in the QC on October 5, 2006 at 4:20 pm (#121864)

cano is having a hell of an at bat

82. Comment posted by Tom Ace / Tom in the QC on October 5, 2006 at 4:21 pm (#121865)

1 more out come on jones

84. Comment posted by Wdwrkr35 on October 5, 2006 at 4:21 pm (#121866)

cano 0-8 this post season

85. Comment posted by shoeless on October 5, 2006 at 4:22 pm (#121867)

a stunned and silent yankee crowd is a beautiful thing

86. Comment posted by briancuster on October 5, 2006 at 4:23 pm (#121868)

the skanks have everybody mesmerized

87. Comment posted by udamnwright on October 5, 2006 at 4:25 pm (#121869)

Here is Juan Padilla’s career numbers for the baseball cube. I like the guy but I am not putting a ton of faith in him being great.

88. Comment posted by Tom Ace / Tom in the QC on October 5, 2006 at 4:25 pm (#121870)

yea! shut those aholes up.

90. Comment posted by Wdwrkr35 on October 5, 2006 at 4:25 pm (#121871)

HAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HERE COMES RJ!!!!!

91. Comment posted by shoeless on October 5, 2006 at 4:26 pm (#121872)

booyah! hear that quiet crowd ….

92. Comment posted by udamnwright on October 5, 2006 at 4:26 pm (#121873)

Yankee’s Lose, Yankees Lose, THHHHEEEEEE YAAAANKKKEEE’S LOOOOOOSE

93. Comment posted by mdog1111 on October 5, 2006 at 4:26 pm (#121874)

Beat me to it udam

94. Comment posted by Mike on October 5, 2006 at 4:27 pm (#121875)

Tha-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a Yankees lose. Tha-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a Yankees lose.

96. Comment posted by Wdwrkr35 on October 5, 2006 at 4:27 pm (#121876)

lol udam thats some funny shit there

97. Comment posted by Mike on October 5, 2006 at 4:28 pm (#121877)

Oops. Beat me to it as well.

98. Comment posted by shoeless on October 5, 2006 at 4:28 pm (#121878)

funny udamn! one of the sweetest sounds is hearing john sterling swallow his tongue on one of his masturbatory squeals of delight

100. Comment posted by dptydwg420 on October 5, 2006 at 4:28 pm (#121879)

happy happy joy joy
    happy happy joy joy

now lets put kuo in a bodybag!!!

102. Comment posted by Confused on October 5, 2006 at 4:28 pm (#121880)

so, now the mets have to show how to win a game two.

do we route for kenny, cant throw a strike when needed, rogers tomorrow.

arod is one step closer to being a met second basemen next year. :) ;)

104. Comment posted by Wdwrkr35 on October 5, 2006 at 4:29 pm (#121881)

ok now part 2 of the greatest day of the year is a Mets Victory tonight!!!!

105. Comment posted by Mike on October 5, 2006 at 4:29 pm (#121882)

Dep-

Yes. A first inning knockout would be verrrrrry nice.

107. Comment posted by dptydwg420 on October 5, 2006 at 4:30 pm (#121883)

oh mike that would be just wonderful.

109. Comment posted by Wdwrkr35 on October 5, 2006 at 4:30 pm (#121884)

arod sheff and cano with the 0-4’s today

110. Comment posted by Mike on October 5, 2006 at 4:30 pm (#121885)

Tomorrow night is Rogers-Johnson.

That’s like watching two ex-girlfriends in a catfight. You just have to root for a lot of hits and much humiliation.

112. Comment posted by Wdwrkr35 on October 5, 2006 at 4:31 pm (#121886)

Giambi 0-3 and mr wonderful was 1-4

113. Comment posted by mdog1111 on October 5, 2006 at 4:32 pm (#121887)

Two fat and ugly ex girlfriends

114. Comment posted by shoeless on October 5, 2006 at 4:32 pm (#121888)

too funny Mike … what a great start to the day’s baseball … the mets to show the yankees how it’s done!

115. Comment posted by mdog1111 on October 5, 2006 at 4:33 pm (#121890)

Tell you what Kenny, shut out the Skanks tomorrow and all is forgiven. Well maybe not all but some……

117. Comment posted by dptydwg420 on October 5, 2006 at 4:34 pm (#121891)

ugh, I cant believe we have to root for kenny rogers. ugh

118. Comment posted by mdog1111 on October 5, 2006 at 4:36 pm (#121892)

New thread open

120. Comment posted by Gipper913 on October 5, 2006 at 4:44 pm (#121899)

Gotta love the front page pic on the NY Times (at least the edition here on the Left Coast)….a shot of the Skanks during batting practice watching the Mets game on DiamondVision….I guess they are practicing for next week!! Gotta practice that playoff TV watching skill set!!

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]