July 10, 2006

AP: Reyes Out of All Star Game
by: Eric Simon on Jul 10, 2006 9:56 AM | Filed under: News

With Pedro Martinez and Tom Glavine already bowing out of the All Star Game, Jose Reyes has withdrawn himself from the exhibition as well, citing a desire to let his pinky heal fully before the second half of the season begins.

Reyes was injured Friday night when he slid headfirst into first base and cut his finger on Florida first baseman Mike Jacobs’ spikes. The star shortstop needed seven stitches to close the wound, and consulted with Mets team doctor Straun Coleman before deciding Sunday to not play in the All-Star game.

“I’m disappointed,” Reyes said before the Mets’ 7-6 victory over Florida on Sunday. “I’m not going to play, but I’m still going. I really want to be ready for the second half of the season.”

Martinez was replaced by Roy Oswalt and Glavine by Chris Capuano. No announcement has been made regarding Reyes’s replacement, though if you’re looking at middle infielders, names like Milwaukee’s Bill Hall and Cincinnati’s Brandon Phillips come up. The Mets will still have three starters in Tuesday night’s game: David Wright, Carlos Beltran and Paul Lo Duca.

212 Responses to “AP: Reyes Out of All Star Game”

Pages: « 1 2 [3]

1. Comment posted by Stel Og Stem on July 11, 2006 at 2:12 pm (#58486)

Mike Pelfrey will remain in the Mets’ rotation following the All-Star Break.
    The Mets’ rotation is initially expected to be Steve Trachsel followed by Tom Glavine, Orlando Hernandez, John Maine and Mike Pelfrey. Pelfrey has decent value in NL-only leagues while the Mets use him as a starter, but he is likely one or two bad outings from being sent to the minors.

Does this mean Pedro is not going to start on the 19th anymore?

2. Comment posted by sweetlew on July 11, 2006 at 2:49 pm (#58488)

Man…I have been gone too long, I forgot the humor and good times on this site!

I have been way too busy to chat about the NL’s best team!

Did anyone else catch this or is it old news already?

The Mets have signed catcher Francisco Peña, the son of Yankees first-base coach Tony Peña, to a $750,000 signing bonus. The club will announce the move next week.

From my understanding, this is a BIG deal.

3. Comment posted by Mike C. on July 11, 2006 at 3:27 pm (#58489)

Under that scenario, Pelfrey would start Tuesday and Pedro would start Wednesday and… I guess Maine would stay on the roster as an extra long-relief man for that period of time?

The problem with demoting Pelfrey immediately after Pedro gets back… that leaves you with only four legitimate starters and… if you’re not looking to convert Oliver, I’d say Pelfrey is still the preferable choice for the number 5 guy over Maine, until Soler or Bannister comes back.

And… yes, Billy Wagner is on crack. You don’t trade Pelfrey and Milledge for Albert frickin’ P… let alone, a quite-good-but-overrated starting pitcher like Willis. Any deal any team wants with Milledge or Pelfrey should be off-the-table the second it is mentioned.

Floyd, Nady, some of the bullpen guys can be on the table, Valentin, lesser prospects… even Delgado, if you’re talking about something blockbuster… but Pete, Tom, Beltran, Reyes, Wright, LoDuca, Pelfrey, Milledge… they need to all be non-starters.

4. Comment posted by metsfansince62 on July 11, 2006 at 3:57 pm (#58492)

Comment posted by Danny on July 11, 2006 at 10:42 am (#58479)

Here’s a Cabrera classic (from when he was being questioned about consistently being late to games)…

“(Forget) the veterans,” he said, momentarily breaking into English to deliver an expletive. “They haven’t told me anything and they better not come tell me anything, either.

I don’t want to build around someone like that.

He acts like a spoiled debutante. But the problem is he has so much natural talent that teams tend to pamper him. Maybe he’s the next Albert Belle.

5. Comment posted by Ed in Westchester on July 11, 2006 at 4:08 pm (#58495)

until Soler or Bannister comes back.

Mike C – please tell me, as I have asked a couple of times, what it is about Soler that makes him so good in your eyes? Seriously, I am interested.
    As for Bannister, given the amount of time he has missed, I am not counting on him to be of any help this season. He had some issues prior to being hurt with control. An extended layoff is not going to help that.

6. Comment posted by Mike C. on July 11, 2006 at 5:21 pm (#58501)

Some of Soler’s starts were impressive, both statistically and to watch live.

His last few… the ones where he was probably injured to an extent? Not so much.

His good games suggested a potential of a really solid number three starter… he just needed (a) a chance and (b) to not get injured.

Bannister, despite some control issues, seems to have been able to work around them in a pinch and put up some impressive starts for as long as he was healthy, as well.

Maine, you watch him, you look at his numbers and you think… “Three runs in six innings, this might be his ceiling.” Like he’ll get a few outs in a row, it’s almost like he’s rolling and then… dinger out of nowhere.

Soler and Bannister both had some really good starts and some less good ones. That suggests a potential for growth. Maine… you just keep seeing the same one-step-below-mediocre over and over again.

Yeah, a Bannister, there’s a feeling like until he gets some more experience under his belt, he’s going to be giving up some ugly walks… but he also has the intestinal fortitude to get out of those jams. That’s the feeling I got off of Pelfrey too, until he gets some experience, he’s gonna be a little ugly but have the potential to get out of those jams.

Soler’s issues, until the injury, seemed almost completely rookie jitters that time would breed out of him.

Maine just looks… sort of lost up there, just enough skill to get a few outs and then get back into trouble and then a few more outs and then back into trouble.

I’d much rather see a guy up there who’s going to… scatter some ugly walks and some weird singles out of nowhere and… have the wherewithall to get out of those jams than… some guy who looks like he just doesn’t quite have the talent to ever sit six or nine men down in a row.

Bannister, Soler and even Pelfrey have all shown that potential already, if inconsistently… to get into a groove and cruise eventually… to not have to go to the bullpen after five. Maine just looks like a guy who, for whatever reason, cannot cruise, cannot eat innings after getting out of trouble. I haven’t seen him enough to know if its physical or if its mental but… it’s something.

That’s why he seems like a candidate for middle relief conversion, not a starting pitcher for a major league club. Maybe he can look okay in AAA, where he’s not being challenged by consistently smart hitters who can’t always take advantage of every mistake… but in the majors, whatever it is about him, I’ve seen no evidence of him getting over that hump.

Soler, I’ve seen enough evidence (when he’s healthy) to have some faith in him.

Bannister, too. And though I’ve seen very little of Pelfrey, his upside is just so through the roof that he’s worth getting the experience over a Maine.

7. Comment posted by Ed in Westchester on July 11, 2006 at 5:24 pm (#58502)

Mike C – thanks. Good points.
    You talk of Soler’s injury. Maine made his first start with a bad finger, so it would only be fair to take that into consideration.
    As for innings, Soler pitched past 7 once. He needs to show more. Personally, for a guy with his past, it should not be so hard.

8. Comment posted by Mike C Needs to get a life on July 11, 2006 at 5:39 pm (#58504)

Mike pelfrey isn’t going anywhere b4 jan 2007 the rule is players can’t be traded until 1 year after they sign thier first pro contract.weather wagner actually said trade those 2 or not I have to take with a huge grain of salt because it was in the NEW YORK FRIGGIN POST the worst paper in NY for sports coverage In My Not So Humble Opinion.

10. Comment posted by dptydwg420 on July 11, 2006 at 6:17 pm (#58507)

Pelfrey CAN be traded as a player to be named later.

11. Comment posted by Mike C. on July 11, 2006 at 6:31 pm (#58509)

I guess I give Maine less leeway for a minor injury because I just don’t see upside in him.

In a year like this, where you’re probably making the playoffs and you can’t just toss rookies in everywhere to get them ready for next year, I reckon that every time injury DOES open a spot up, you have to be maximizing those opportunities to get your best rookies a little seasoning.

Maine is still pretty young, yeah, but I just don’t see much potential to grow beyond what he’s putting up now. Soler, Bannister, Pelfrey… healthy and with experience, Pelfrey could be an ace and Bannister and Soler could be a very very solid three and four team.

And while I’m hoping we can get another good year or two out of Tom and Pedro, I don’t exactly see El Duque or Traschel beyond this year. If you can get those three rookies enough experience this year where they can be the three-four-five next year, maybe you don’t have to be in a position of HAVING to overpay for Zito in the off-season… maybe you can throw that money at… I don’t know…

What’s gonna be out there in the off-season? A longer term solution at second? Maybe an upgrade over Nady?

12. Comment posted by Ed in Westchester on July 12, 2006 at 8:59 am (#58798)

Mike C – Soler is older than Maine, and has more experience. Given that, I do not see as much upside for him as I do with Maine. Again, Maine is not going to be a top end of the rotation guy, more likely a 4 or 5.
    I do agree about Trachsel and Duque, they are not going to be back next season more than likely, so there are more holes to fill.

13. Comment posted by yasmin on July 25, 2006 at 4:35 pm (#62988)

I like this site! nokia6630