Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /nfs/c01/h01/mnt/9015/domains/metsgeek.com/html/wp-content/plugins/paged-comments.php on line 26
Mets Geek » NYT: A Player Known for His Politics, Too

November 24, 2005

NYT: A Player Known for His Politics, Too

Medicating in the sun
pinched doses of laudanum
longing for the old fecundity of my homeland
Curses to this mirage!

Don’t look now, but our own Eric Simon got a mention in the paper of record as Michael Schmidt takes a look at Delgado’s persona…

Eric Simon, who runs the fan Web site Metsgeek.com, said reaction among the site’s users had been mixed. “A lot of people are excited; they know what type of player he is,” Simon said. “Fans that follow the youngsters are sad to see those players go; they could be great players down the road. But most people think it’s an enormous upgrade in the short term.”

26 Responses to “NYT: A Player Known for His Politics, Too”

1. Comment posted by fire willie on November 24, 2005 at 2:35 am (#17360)

I had to look, the guy’s middle initial is S, not J. I didn’t think he wrote for NYT. Good for you Eric.

2. Comment posted by Erik from the Bronx on November 24, 2005 at 2:54 am (#17361)

Does this mean no more in game threads at AA during the Season?

Oh yea, for those who care, Falcons beat the Lions tamara 24 – 17….

3. Comment posted by peeder on November 24, 2005 at 5:11 am (#17368)

Nah erik it’s too much fun for all of us to blow grape sod thru our noses atcha.

Nice blog btw I’m proud of my homie.

4. Comment posted by A Friend of Mr. Glass’ on November 24, 2005 at 11:02 am (#17376)

Evidently metsgeek doesn’t appreciate my yankees2000 street-teaming, but that’s no matter. Congratulations, guys, you’re living the dream and I’m sure every Mets fan is appreciative.

5. Comment posted by Stefan on November 24, 2005 at 11:09 am (#17378)

A bit off topic….

In the New York Times, Ben Shpigel writes that the Mets have contacted the agent for LHP Joey Eischen…

The 35–year-old situational lefty was 2-1 with a 3.22 ERA in 57 appearances last season with the Nationals…

…the mets are drooling…wagner, heilman, eischen and roberto hernandez would be a big improvement from a year ago…

Eishen would be a great adition to the mets.

6. Comment posted by Josh on November 24, 2005 at 12:28 pm (#17394)

Eric,
    congrats. that’s awesome. that newspaper guy should use you as a source more often.

On the mets note…now we just need a catcher (bengie or ramon) and Wagner. No Soriano. (Bad) Defense and giving up more prospects are not worth it!!

7. Comment posted by Harry on November 24, 2005 at 12:42 pm (#17399)

Congrats to you guys. You guys really put alot of hard work and research into each of your article. Its about time this site got some respect.Keep up the great work

8. Comment posted by Benny Blanco from da bronx on November 24, 2005 at 1:10 pm (#17405)

Hey congrats on becoming famous. Just remember the little people.

But i kinda have a problem with that title for the article.
    “A Player Known for His Politics, Too”?
    I mean I thin kthe only people that always bring up his politics are the media. And they always try to put a negative spin on it.
    It’s not like Delgado goes up and announces to the world what he feels. And besides it’s only instances where eh’s expressed himself. And like I said earlier he doesn’t go out and do it. SOmebody asks him where he goes during “God Bless America”, he tells them where he goes. And most of it has to do with his own country being used a bomb testing site.
    I know it’d be pissed if someone kept bombing my town to test thier bombs.
    Can you blame the man?

And of course the stuff you never ehar about, the donations… Courtesy of the Daily News:

Delgado’s political views sometimes get misinterpreted as a lack of patriotism, but he donated $100,000 to a fund for children and widows of New York City firefighters after Sept. 11. He also received the “Good Guy” award from the South Florida chapter of the Baseball Writers’ Association of America.

I jsut kidna hate hearing the same thing over and over again about him hating America and all this other sht. It’s annoying, and not even true.

9. Comment posted by Chris in Arizona on November 24, 2005 at 1:46 pm (#17412)

Eishen is good buddies with Cliff Floyd from back in the Expos farm system. I dont know how many times Healy mentioned that during Floyd’s horrible at bats against the guy. I like him, hes a warrior like Turk Wendall. When he broke his non pitching arm last year, he recovered and was back with the team faster than his own team doctors expected. They said he was gone for months, not weeks. Also, i have now made two Wendall mentions in two blogs today. Happy Thanksgiving Turk, I still member you

10. Comment posted by argonbunnies on November 24, 2005 at 2:49 pm (#17416)

From what I’ve seen of Eischen, he’s great at letting hitters get themselves out, but not particularly effective when someone waits him out and battles him.

11. Comment posted by dirt12 on November 24, 2005 at 4:16 pm (#17424)

everthing that has been written to date suggests that Delgado is a
    great teammate and is not interested in displaying his politics in
    public….he has his right to feel anyway he wants, even if he it is
    contrary to what i believe.

12. Comment posted by Jim on November 24, 2005 at 6:27 pm (#17429)

I was so happy to see this, it seems even others are finally recognizing
    what a good site this is!

13. Comment posted by kap on November 24, 2005 at 10:10 pm (#17437)

Great job, Eric. The NY TImes should consult you on a regular basis.

14. Comment posted by Chris in Arizona on November 24, 2005 at 10:25 pm (#17439)

Just got my bulk email from Omar saying the trade is official! Offically welcoming carlos delgado

15. Comment posted by Nails on November 24, 2005 at 10:32 pm (#17441)

Congrats MetsGeekers on the pud
    I didn’t realize Mike Schmidt was writing for the Times; you’d think it would be a Philly paper.
    Still waiting for a quote from Delgado about the trade…if anyone sees one…holla!

16. Comment posted by Nails on November 24, 2005 at 10:34 pm (#17442)

correction: note above should say “pub” not “pud” gotta stop typing in the dark

17. Comment posted by Ricardo Gonzalez on November 24, 2005 at 10:38 pm (#17443)

Here are a couple. Scroll down.

18. Comment posted by Nails on November 24, 2005 at 11:08 pm (#17446)

Thanks for that Ricardo!
    Now i can goto bed feeling good that Delgado feels good about coming here.
    I’m glad him and Beltran are so close; cause it seemed Beltran needs some companionship in the dugout; the guy looked like an island in 2005.
    I am even more pysched about this deal now.

19. Comment posted by The Real Marty on November 24, 2005 at 11:22 pm (#17448)

I just heard that Mets also gave up Grant Psomas in the deal. I’d still make the deal, but I would have liked to have held on to him.

He was the only prospect we had that had any plate discipline.

21. Comment posted by Jason on November 24, 2005 at 11:54 pm (#17455)

Congratulations to Eric and everybody else on being brought to the MSM masses. You guys do a fantastic job and it’s very satisfying to see you get a little of the ample recognition you deserve….

23. Comment posted by Eric Simon on November 24, 2005 at 11:56 pm (#17457)

He was the only prospect we had that had any plate discipline.

I feel the same way, and was surprised to hear him included in the deal. I wrote a little about him over at Amazin’ Avenue.

25. Comment posted by MetsFanSince71 on November 24, 2005 at 11:58 pm (#17458)

Congrats, Eric! Keep up the fine work!

27. Comment posted by MetsFanSince71 on November 25, 2005 at 12:01 am (#17459)

Eric, I’m not sure if your upset about Psomas or not. Your comments at Amazin Ave seem to downgrade this kid. Just wondering….

28. Comment posted by CJ Maloney on November 25, 2005 at 11:53 am (#17505)

Some fans will ride Delgado over his political views expressed through his not standing during the playing of our national anthem. A few points:
    1) Over in Europe, before major league games they do NOT play their national anthem and require every to stand. We do. This is not a mark in our favor. Freedom is and always has been freedom from the state. Why do we have to stand up and praise it before every game?
    2) Too many people in the USA define patriotism as blind obedience to the men who run our government. Why is that? To quote Thomas Jefferson, true patriotism is built upon distrust and suspicion of those who rule. My country, right or wrong, is the doctrine of a man who refuses to think. Delgado, agree with him or not, has thought this through and come to his conclusion. Respect him for that.
    3) True freedom permits and encourages people to disagree and act accordingly. If you do not like it, many places, such as North Korea and Cuba, would be more to your liking. Everybody agrees with everybody else in such places – or else. Free men, if they wish to remain so, must accept the fact that other men will disagree with their views and act accordingly. To suppress their actions which you disagree with destroys your freedom as well as theirs.
    4) If Delgado continues to hit as he has in the past, he can wave a banner of Osama bid Laden during the pre-game anthem for all I care. Get that championship!

29. Comment posted by dan on November 25, 2005 at 12:22 pm (#17514)

Pathetic. CJ’s nonsense that is. Nobody is required to stand at any point in any game. What is the matter CJ? Not man enough to handle the peer pressure? Freedom of expression and freedom from criticism are not related. Delgado can, and does, say whatever he wants. And the rest of us are free to judge him, and you, by these public statements. Deal with it, you ain’t in the 3rd grade anymore. Take your stand and deal with the fallout. Point 4 is disgusting. You are free to say that; and I’m clearly within my rights to determine that you are an asshole based on that statement. Freedom works for all, not just noisy pricks.

30. Comment posted by Mets Geek » Blog Archive » MetsGeek Milestone on December 1, 2005 at 8:30 pm (#19120)

[…] Just a quick note to all of the Mets geeks out there that the site crossed the 1,000,000 page view mark earlier this evening, which is just mindblowing to me. The past eight months have been a lot of fun for all of us and from the looks of it a lot of you guys have enjoyed yourselves, too. I just wanted to thank everyone who has stopped by since March to read our scribblings and contribute to the discourse. The traffic continues to grow and that’s a testament to everyone who comes back to read and to everyone who spreads the MetsGeek vibe via word of mouth, web link, or simply by mentioning us in their podunk, small-circulation newspaper. […]