September 3, 2005

Open Thread: Willie Randolph’s Incompetence
by: Eric Simon on Sep 3, 2005 9:20 PM | Filed under: Blog

There’s no point trying you can’t escape the bitter end.
Well who will greet you when you’re at the bitter end.

— Sum 41

A conversation overheard at my house as Shingo Takatsu (with an assist from Juan Padilla) gives the game away:

Me: Willie Randolph is the worst ####ing manager I’ve ever seen.
Fiancee: Worse than Art Howe?
Me: Maybe.

Has it really come to this? Is Willie Randolph’s tactical management on par with Art Howe’s? Randolph communicates better with players, especially young ones, but is he really any better at managing a game than Artimus? I don’t know that he is.

He simply has no clue how to manage a bullpen (or a starting rotation) or construct what might remotely be considered the best lineup available. The players play the games, but Randolph has single-handedly cost the Mets multiple games because of his managerial ineptitude, and I am just sickened and frustrated at having to repeatedly watch him sabotage any chance the Mets might have had at making the postseason this year.

74 Responses to “Open Thread: Willie Randolph’s Incompetence”

1. Comment posted by peeder on September 3, 2005 at 9:33 pm (#10986)

Did his tepid response to Castro’s check-swing K clear things up for you?

Oh, the shame on those who ran BV outta town.

2. Comment posted by john on September 3, 2005 at 9:34 pm (#10987)

Wow…..I just have nothing to say about this. I would really like to know what is going on in willie’s head.

3. Comment posted by erik from the bronx on September 3, 2005 at 9:34 pm (#10988)

Don’t worry Sweetheart, there’s alway’s Tamara. The Media is going to Ass Rape Willie after this one.

5. Comment posted by Matt Gelb on September 3, 2005 at 9:36 pm (#10989)

He really has no emotion either. Even if it looked like Castro went around on that swing, Willie’s gotta make a scene there.

6. Comment posted by Andrew Hintz on September 3, 2005 at 9:36 pm (#10990)

So, what do we become after tonight? RedSoxGeek? AngelsGeek? Personally, my vote goes to CardinalsGeek, because in a week we’ll all get to revel in the Mets horrible mismanagement, laugh at how unbelievably bad Miguel Cairo is (and it really is unbelievable), and after we sweep the Mets we can feel all feel kinda bad about their then ten game losing streak.

Oh, come on, don’t tell me you don’t see that happening.

7. Comment posted by john on September 3, 2005 at 9:37 pm (#10991)

They should. Someone go to Japan and see if Bobby V would like to come back and manage us next year. He took us to the world seris in 2000 with a team that had less talent then the one we have right now.

8. Comment posted by john on September 3, 2005 at 9:38 pm (#10992)

Crazy……but i still believe this team will win the wildcard :)

Hey…..ya gotta believe.

9. Comment posted by Andrew Hintz on September 3, 2005 at 9:40 pm (#10993)

*throws stones at John*

11. Comment posted by Matt Gelb on September 3, 2005 at 9:42 pm (#10994)

Hey, the Astros did lose and the Phillies are about to.

But no, this team has suffered one too many crushing-yet-winnable defeats in the past two weeks.

They lasted longer than we all thought they would. This was a really fun season. We were in contention!

12. Comment posted by john on September 3, 2005 at 9:43 pm (#10995)

Ya know…..only 3.5 games back still with philly losing….they just gotta get through this road trip and still be in striking distance and we’ll be alright. If they can go 4-6 on this roadstand….who knows…..once this roadstand is over…..they have alota home games left and they play well at home…

I dunno……im not losing hope just yet.

13. Comment posted by Erik From the bronx on September 3, 2005 at 9:44 pm (#10996)

Yea John, A.J. Burnett isn’t That good…….

14. Comment posted by john on September 3, 2005 at 9:46 pm (#10997)

So was beckett and we had him beat (until willie’s bad move). And seo has been pretty good this year himself. Maybe we take 1 of 3 here…..1 of 3 in atl and split in stl…..4-6.

Come on ppl…..KEEP THE FAITH.

im really hoping because i went and got tickets to two games in washington and it would suck for me to drive all that way for meaningless games lol.

15. Comment posted by cal on September 3, 2005 at 9:49 pm (#10998)

holy #&@! they $#@%$@ suck o can they blow this game randolph is a moron, how can he put tatsaku in he was freakin floatin them in there seriously, they couldve used hernandez come on, and someone said randolph will get burned 2morrow by the press, forget it those f%ckers love him, claiming hes lead us into this chase. their stupid then 2 cuz we could be atop of the willd card without randolph. last thing i plan on stealing beltrans credit card, and spend the weeknd charging 119 mill on it, honestly was that not one of the most pitiful abs i have ever seen

16. Comment posted by Erik from the bronx on September 3, 2005 at 9:52 pm (#10999)

John = Matt Cerrone

18. Comment posted by Eric Simon on September 3, 2005 at 9:52 pm (#11000)

It was a pretty terrible at-bat. He swung at the 1-0 fastball out of the zone (high and away) and took the 1-1 fastball right down the middle. Not sure what he was looking for there, but it looked like he had his homerun shoes on when he should have just been trying to knock the ball into the outfield. A single scores Reyes from second and the game would have been tied.

19. Comment posted by john on September 3, 2005 at 9:56 pm (#11001)

John = A very positive mets fan :)

Garantee they will be in this till the very end…..not saying they are going to win but they’ll be in it till the last week of the season.

20. Comment posted by WhatWouldBobbyCoxDo? on September 3, 2005 at 9:56 pm (#11002)

This world is filled with people who gladly step on you, push you out of the way, let you fall on your own sword for their own gain; it is imperative that you don’t give them any edge to do so. To acheive success, you must what is within your power to succeed. You must do the things that give you the best opportunities.

21. Comment posted by john on September 3, 2005 at 9:57 pm (#11003)

On a side not……i think diaz is one of the worst outfielders ive ever seen.

22. Comment posted by john on September 3, 2005 at 10:01 pm (#11004)

4-4 now in the wash/philly game.

I think you guys should bring out the old layout again cause they havent won a game since this new one.

23. Comment posted by Erik from the Bronx on September 3, 2005 at 10:01 pm (#11005)

John = Capt. Obvious

24. Comment posted by john on September 3, 2005 at 10:04 pm (#11006)

ok…..but when the mets win the wildcard….just remember that john has told you so :)

26. Comment posted by Eric Simon on September 3, 2005 at 10:04 pm (#11007)

Last I checked, the new layout didn’t pencil Miguel Cairo into the two-hole and bring in Shingo Takatsu with the bases loaded :)

27. Comment posted by jack on September 3, 2005 at 10:05 pm (#11008)

that being said.. he had the sense to bring our first newly met battered ex-closer retread in in a non-pressure situation (dannygraves.) shudder but this time, art howe would have gone to orber moreno. or ricky botallico. just not this guy.

28. Comment posted by john on September 3, 2005 at 10:07 pm (#11009)

Yes but cairo or matsui has been in the second hole all season long and willie has made dumb moves all the season and we been winning.

Change the layout pleaseeeeeeee before its too late.

29. Comment posted by Erik From the bronx on September 3, 2005 at 10:07 pm (#11010)

Is Eric gettin Defensive about his new Layout? Relax Lady’s, were all on the same team here.

30. Comment posted by john on September 3, 2005 at 10:09 pm (#11011)

Personally i like it alot……just the mets been losing since it came out so change it back lol

31. Comment posted by Brian on September 3, 2005 at 10:12 pm (#11013)

I, too, have seen multiple moments this year where I was thinking, “What the hell was going through Willie’s head???” I.e. Mets Yankees - he brings in Roberto Hernandez even though he had pitched in 4 or 5 straight games before that. While I like the intensity, “winning focus” and ability to communicate better with the younger guys like Reyes and Wright (who both have improved far beyond my expectations this year under his guise), he has made some VERY questionable decisions with both the lineups and the bullpen.

And there is no question in my mind that Beltran should not be hitting 3rd. He PROVED it tonight.

32. Comment posted by felix heredia on September 3, 2005 at 10:13 pm (#11014)

hey, question, i think willie would like using me once in a while! i am on the 40-man roster, ya know!

33. Comment posted by anderson hernandez on September 3, 2005 at 10:15 pm (#11015)

I dont know why willie doesnt call me up……i can help…..i swear im better then matsui and cairo

34. Comment posted by Erik from the bronx on September 3, 2005 at 10:15 pm (#11016)

Did anybody else hear Gary Cohen’s reaction when Willie brought in Shingo Takatsu? Gary was losin his freakin mind.

35. Comment posted by sam burns on September 3, 2005 at 10:17 pm (#11017)

I am happy that there is a firewillie.com website. Its about time. And of course tonites move of putting in Takatsu instead of hernandez has got to be one of his great moves of the year.
    I looked at the list of moves on firewillie.com, and the thing that got me was that there were so many other moves that weren’t even on that list. He has so butchered the season.
    Maybe the only way we can get him to at least change the batting order, is with firewillie.com banners at the game. Who is going to the next game and willing to hold up the sign?
    Could you believe tonites order of minky ahead of castro, and cairo still batting second? What an asshole.

36. Comment posted by ap on September 3, 2005 at 10:21 pm (#11018)

i think this willie discussion is taking away from the fact that beltran fukcin sucks so bad and is hurting our team by playing everyday with his ab’s

37. Comment posted by john on September 3, 2005 at 10:24 pm (#11019)

Willie how do you decide your moves?

Well im not really a numbers guy i just go with my gut feeling.

Um……willie maybe going with your gut feeling just isnt working. Maybe you should try and look at the numbers…cause if you did youd know that pitcher has been HORRIBLE this year. He was horrible with the sox. It makes me sick when i hear him justify his moves by saying he was going with a “gut feeling”…….who does that…..what other manager says that.

Im not saying numbers is everything but sheesh……with willie’s theory what does he do just flip a coin in his head and thats how he chooses who comes in?……grrrrr….hes horrible manager

38. Comment posted by Mark in Astoria on September 3, 2005 at 10:29 pm (#11020)

Willie should go work for FEMA. I think he’d fit in just fine there…

39. Comment posted by tim in la on September 3, 2005 at 10:41 pm (#11021)

I’ve been one of Willie’s harshest critics all year, not a game goes by without him doing something that makes me yell at the TV…and as bad as Art Howe was for the team, he never did ANYTHING even remotely as stupid as what Willie does ever day. I mean, it’s just no contest, Willie is the worst strategizer ever. He’s baseball’s version of Bush.

40. Comment posted by tim in la on September 3, 2005 at 10:47 pm (#11022)

AP, Beltran scored 22 runs in August, second only to Wright at 23. That’s pretty damn good…it’s not Beltran that’s killing us. He’s really a 2 hitter and not a 3 hitter, and he’s overpayed, but he’s not all that bad.

On a completely unrelated note, can anyone remember a player ever showing more ‘warning track power’ than Floyd has the last few weeks? The HR today barely cleared the wall, but he flies out to the warning track at least twice a game…if he was playing in Philly or Arlington he’d be an MVP candidate by now.

41. Comment posted by Andrew Hintz on September 3, 2005 at 11:28 pm (#11023)

I’ve been a big Johnny Cash fan my whole life, and as I was listening to his record just now (yes, I own a record player, and yes, I am twenty years old), I came across this chorus I’ve heard a thousand times before, and thought of Mets Geek:

And you still can hear me singin’ to the people who don’t listen,
    To the things that I am sayin’, prayin’ someone’s gonna hear
    And I guess I’ll die explaining how the things that they complain about,
    Are things they could be changin’, hopin’ someone’s gonna care

42. Comment posted by Erik from the bronx on September 3, 2005 at 11:32 pm (#11024)

Willie just wanted to make sure Dr.Jack got his 1000th Win at home….He’s just a really nice guy.

43. Comment posted by Tom on September 3, 2005 at 11:40 pm (#11025)

I’ve been my last string with Willie and if he doesnt make some drastic lineup moves tomorrow I will burst out into “Fire Willie” “I Hate Willie” chants. I’ve already done it but I think we might have to start doin it at Shea so he gets the picture.

Cairo really has been THAT bad. I wish he got out in the 9th inning today to show that he really sohuldnt hit 2nd but he just had a little meaningless single so Willie might keep him there for the next 2 weeks for that alone. I really wouldnt be surprised.

If he learned anything from bein on the yanks, he could’ve noticed that Torre would sometimes change the lineup order to ignite something and it actually helps sometimes. Hell it couldn’t hurt. It’s better than losing 4 straight somewhat close games.

The Takatsu move is unfathomable. Let’s bring in a guy we barely know and was released this year for sucking too much in a extremely tough spot against one of the best hitters? My god. Danny Graves apparently taught us nothing eh Willie. Failed closers seem to be a Willie favorite.

Tomorrow Willie better make a lineup move. Beltran’s stats show he’s more a 2 hitter than 3 with his speed and the runs hes been scoring. Good point ‘tim in la’. He also has those ‘intangibles’ that a guy like Jeter has. Plus he can steal alot of bases. Does Cairo fill any of these roles. NO!

U can play Cairo but NEVER again at 2. And playing Kaz at 2 isnt any better so dont do that either. I prefer cairo but bat him 8th. If necessary play Kaz but I WILL FLIP OUT IF KAZ/CAIRO ARE HITTING #2 TOMORROW!!!!!

(I’m starting to get the feeling Willie reads some of this and does what he does in spite of us haha)

44. Comment posted by Willie Randolph on September 3, 2005 at 11:45 pm (#11026)

You are absolutely right! And I have a “gut feeling” Miguel Cairo’s hitting in the two-hole tomorrow just for that comment! Ha ha, bitches!

45. Comment posted by Bring Back Edgardo on September 4, 2005 at 12:15 am (#11027)

What is our obsession with retreads anyway? Takatsu shouldn’t even be on the roster. If a guy is let go by another team — it’s because he sucks. (Just look at how Leiter is sucking it up with the Yankees now after a brief flash of decency.) What does Peterson tell Omar he can fix each reject in 10 minutes?

46. Comment posted by Bob Koo on September 4, 2005 at 12:18 am (#11028)

Willie brought in Takatsu because if that didn’t work out, he would bring in a lefty reliever (Ishii?) to face Delgado. Of course, Cabrera made that all moot with his bases-clearing double.

It’s like Willie said, “Look! Shiny new relievers! Let me try this righty-lefty thing instead of going to my usual guy (Hernandez)!”

Except he forgot that Takatsu’s been tagged by righties all year. Maybe that’s why the White Sox cut him?

Freakin’ idiot. I hope the press has a field day with this, and you have to think that the players are steaming. They have to know. I’m still steaming and as Gary Thorne would say, “in stunned disbelief.”

47. Comment posted by Bob Koo on September 4, 2005 at 12:21 am (#11029)

From the NY Times:

“I just chose Takatsu,” Randolph said.

Takatsu, 36, had not pitched in the major leagues since July 16, and he said he was a little surprised that Randolph called on him to face Cabrera.

Even Takatsu knows.

48. Comment posted by Todd Gelb on September 4, 2005 at 12:48 am (#11031)

It’s not over yet; we still have September and the opportunity to watch the NL East teams bash each other. Forever the glass half full - we’re not out of this yet. No doubt however, the next prospect from Japan should be Bobby V.

49. Comment posted by tom on September 4, 2005 at 1:03 am (#11032)

I agree whole heartedly. The Mets can still do it this year. What needs to happen is one of 2 things: 1) Randoplh comes to his senses for the first time all year and makes good decicions/lineups here on. OR 2.) After this 2nd loss to the Marlins Tom Glavine or some respected/smart veteran gets into a crazy pep talk which eventually leads to the downfall of Willie Randolph (Best case scenario) or they all just do what they have to with Willie’s crappy decisions.

I really really hope that this is the last straw for Willie and everybody else involved with the Mets. Willie can’t get away with these bad moves day in and day out. Even after today (A good day for Cairo), Cairo is hitting 4-48 ABS!!! That number out of ANYBODY is alarming but if it comes from Beltran or Floyd or Wright you don’t change much, just call it a slump…a HUGE SLUMP. When it happens to a lower tier player u either 1.) Take him out of lineup 2.) Move him down in lineup (If alternate options arent better which is the case here). We are talking about Miguel ‘freakin’ Cairo.

I’ve been reading and hearin abuot how reporters/others (Even players!) are really questioning Willie. I’m usually a sentimental sympathetic guy and I LIKE RANDOLPH but even I CALL FOR IMMEDIATE ACTION to be taken place. I cannot live to see another day where he ruins the Mets. Just cuz the mets are over .500 doesnt mean he’s doing a good job. My friends and I talked today and Bobby V had soooo much less talent in 2000.

I’m sorry but if Willie doesn’t at least come extremely close to making the playoffs he should never manage again (Unless its for another NL east team, haha). I’ve watched the mets easily toss away at LEAST 8 games this year due to some dumb Willie move. I can’t calculate how much Cairo has cost them.

His job has to be on the line. I know we’re all sick of his crappy antics and he clearly isn’t getting better. He’s actually gotten worse as this season has gone on as we’ve lost so many tough games lately. So Willie the time is now. Sunday September 4th…4 game losing streak…let’s see u at least try to make us better cuz u can do it and only u can. OTHERWISE…..

FIREEEEEEEEEEEE WILLIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!

50. Comment posted by metstime on September 4, 2005 at 1:45 am (#11034)

Willie is an unquestioned imbecile, a pewk-faced, never look you in the eye, double talking simpleton. He is a passive aggressive, team destructive, self aggrandized little worm. [Yeah, he does nothing but put guys in positions where they can't succeed...and when they do well they get pulled, benched, to the bullpen or the minors...or given a "rest" day] Do you want to know how I really feel. It is only a matter of time till the key players because to openly recognize what a piece of excrement he is as a manager. My greatest hope is that the team collapses completely [and not over years] and he is forced out of here by the end of next year. I was going to set up a WHYWILLIESUCKS website. Thank God there is one now. Maybe the little f*ck will choke on one of those Subs….and our Mets will be saved.

51. Comment posted by Ricardo Gonzalez on September 4, 2005 at 1:50 am (#11035)

Well. Well. Well. Aren’t I glad I wasn’t around for this mess? Wow. Words do fail me. How can you go with Takatsu in the biggest AB of the year? Seriously. Shingo Freaking Takatsu, the guy with the 5+ ERA. The same guy who was released a couple of months ago. I’m honestly speechless. How can you even explain this? You know how Randolph says he always goes with how he feels? Well, if nothing else, this season we’ve learned that his “feel” is often wrong. Thanks to this brilliant strategy, we’ve seen Wright bat 7th for half the year, we’ve seen Cairo make outs like there’s no tomorrow, we’ve seen Looper get hammered against LHB, Ishii pitch like absolute horseshit for way too many starts, and the list goes on and on. After a couple of months of Randolph, I now know why he wasn’t hired the first 12 or so times he went for an interview. Simply put, Randolph isn’t qualified for the job. Look, the guy might be a great communicator and inspirator, but he simply doesn’t know how manage a bullpen. Shingo Takatsu. Are you freaking kidding me? Should he be fired? Who cares what I think. Its not going to happen. The media loves the guy and he’ll be here for a long time.

52. Comment posted by jay on September 4, 2005 at 1:51 am (#11036)

you say you wanted hernandez in the 7th ok but who will pitch the 8th him? I don’t think so he is 40 years old. Willie has to put cairo or Kaz in the 8th hole and move eyeryone up a spot.

53. Comment posted by Ricardo Gonzalez on September 4, 2005 at 1:53 am (#11037)

BTW, the only valid question in this thread is which decision was worse, Randolph’s decision to use Takatsu, or Eric’s decision to use Sum 41 lyrics?

Johnny Cash? Now we are talking…

54. Comment posted by peeder on September 4, 2005 at 2:18 am (#11038)

Randolph would make a very fine BENCH COACH.

“A true champion accepts demotion and promotion with the same honor.”

55. Comment posted by pat on September 4, 2005 at 3:18 am (#11039)

willie randolph is terrible. horrible

56. Comment posted by DG on September 4, 2005 at 6:46 am (#11040)

Re: Takatsu. Nice to see the Mets are still holding tryouts this late in the season. No excuse for putting Takatsu in in that situation. You go with a proven commodity and then, if you have to, start the next inning with a different reliever. But, how, in the heat of a pennant race, do you go with someone you’ve never used before? This was a really dark loss. I’d like to see the team turn it around, but I’ve got that sinking feeling. So close, but ….

57. Comment posted by Tim in VA on September 4, 2005 at 7:54 am (#11041)

The worst part of that game for me was when I nearly gave Willie some credit. After Padilla (What the F**K was HE thinking?) walked Castillo, I was SO pleased to see Willie coming out to the mound. I even said aloud, “So, you FINALLY learned how to manage??” after realizing that he was pulling Padilla after only one batter.

My wife had to usher our children into another room after I saw who he was summoning in to pitch to one of the most productive hitters in the league (and I ain’t talking ‘productive outs’ here).

What’s next?? John Franco??

58. Comment posted by Tim in VA on September 4, 2005 at 8:17 am (#11042)

For those of you who are predicting a press-bashing of Willie, here’s Newsday’s Mark Herrmann fulfilling the prophesy:

59. Comment posted by eddie on September 4, 2005 at 9:20 am (#11043)

Yeah, Cairo sucks and Willie is a lousy manager, but nobody gets on Beltran’s case. He is just horrible. No big hits. His at bat in the 9th was putrid. Taking strikes, swinging at balls. The most overpriced player in the history of the game.

60. Comment posted by JC on September 4, 2005 at 9:41 am (#11044)

The absolute worst part about this is realizing that we’ll probably have willie for another 3 years before he gets the axe - after all, they dumped Howe rather quick (so they’re hesistant to do it again), and Willie’s a “NY Guy (TM)”, so there’s no way he’s going anywhere for A LONG WHILE.

61. Comment posted by Sean on September 4, 2005 at 10:47 am (#11045)

I have been a hardcore Mets fan for so long now and never have I been more frustrated then I have been for the last week. I can’t believe some of the decisions Willie has made. It’s like every time some decision has to be made he just goes against common sense because it’s different and it just “might pay off.”

I know this is his rookie year with the Mets, but I have to think even Art Howe would have done a better job with this group. I mean Howe didn’t exactly have much to work with. Willie does. And he manages to somehow mess it up every opportunity he can.

God I miss Bobby V. As a test to see how much of a fan of the Mets a person is, I always ask them to name the starting lineup against the Giants in the playoffs of 2000. They always forget Derek Bell. Does anyone else realize that Bobby V had a contending team with Benny Agbayani, Jay Payton and Derek Bell as their everyday outfielders? Not to mention Rey Ordonez, Mike Bordick, Kurt Abbot and Melvin Mora (before he was good) sharing time at short. AND THEY FIRED HIM??!?!?!?!?

Sigh.

62. Comment posted by king grandiosity on September 4, 2005 at 10:54 am (#11046)

I just want y’all to admit that if Takatsu went up and employed his crazy changeups and arm angles and struck out cabrera, we would all be singing Randolph’s praises and foresight, and starting “Takatsu4Closer” sites.

Admit it

63. Comment posted by Ricardo Gonzalez on September 4, 2005 at 11:06 am (#11047)

Admit it

That’s not true. If you’ve been to the site before, you’ll know we’ve hammered Randolph for making bad decisions, even when they work.

64. Comment posted by Dan in Gettysburg on September 4, 2005 at 11:15 am (#11048)

Admit it

Sometimes, procedure is more important than results, in terms of evaluating something.

“I was in Las Vegas for a weekend playing blackjack. A person at the table to my right had 17 and said they wanted a hit. The whole table stopped and even the dealer asked if he was sure he wanted a hit. Finally he said he wanted a hit. The dealer deals the card and of course it was a four. What did the dealer say? ‘Nice hit.’ But I’m thinking, you’re kidding me. It was a terrible hit. Even though it ended up working out, it wasn’t a good decision.”

66. Comment posted by Luis on September 4, 2005 at 12:08 pm (#11051)

The critical error was in NOT hitting for benson wi the bases loaded and 2 out-of the 3 outs garnered in atht inning, one was a CS, one the k of benson- you had a chance to bury them and didnt

67. Comment posted by Goldy on September 4, 2005 at 12:41 pm (#11055)

Hey guys, it’s been a while. Been reading but not posting, but when I saw this go up, I knew it was time to make my triumphant return.

Point 1: The last two posts, by OFF and peeder, were both right on the money.
    Point 2: This team needs a full purge. All the coaches except Peterson (again), Cairo and Kaz, the ghost of Heredia, Looper as a closer, guys like Takatsu, Offerman and Ice Man… You can see how this is going. We need to get the stink of death off this roster.
    Point 3: New coaches with fresh ideas. Pseudo-Yankeeism and chronic fatigue disorded are not getting the job done. While neither may be possible, Davey Johnson and Bobby V need to be considered, if only to appease the fans. But guys like Oberkfell, Jaramillo, and HoJo need to be considered. These are guys who know how to get the most out of young hitters in ways that Willie and Down never will.

68. Comment posted by Cesar on September 4, 2005 at 1:11 pm (#11057)

Goldy: You are absolutely correct, but also include some of the players in AAA, Graves, Koo etc. The season is over let’s start looking at the young players for next year, we have a good nucleous of players. We new a good hitter either at firswt base or outfield, a much more productive second base, another power pitcher (starter) would be nice, a real closer and make a decision about a catcher.

69. Comment posted by ASG on September 4, 2005 at 2:08 pm (#11059)

Look on the bright side. This year’s team has been a lot more fun to watch than those of the last four year. No one expected Randolph to be this bad when he was hired. As long as the Mets win, I doubt you’ll see his early departure. On top of this, you don’t know what effect firing him would have on how the team plays (or how the team would play for a different manager). When the team stops improving, then you’re more likely to see a change. Until then, enjoy what you can.

70. Comment posted by The Truth Will Set You Free on September 4, 2005 at 5:53 pm (#11064)

Folks…calm down and take a chill pill..puh-lease! Willie is learning on the job. Have some patience..and civility..and enjoy the ride. The Metsies are in the thick of a pennant race. No one’s perfect right out of the box. Expect mistakes to be made..we are talking about human beings here..and please end the incessant personal attacks. Mr. Randolph has played the game at it’s highest level..trust that the Mets are a work in progress and better times are in the offing. STOP SOUNDING LIKE GREEDY SPOILED brats.
    Peace..

71. Comment posted by mark on September 5, 2005 at 2:51 am (#11084)

the truth will set you free? Are you for real? You must be a closet yankee fan or something. I am sick and tired of watching the mets mismanaged. How can you defend randolph’s decisions? He must be the laughingstock of all the managers of the league at how insane some of his player moves have been. How about the time when he F*cked up a double switch wasting a player, lest we forget that one?

72. Comment posted by Fastball on September 5, 2005 at 10:48 am (#11088)

The Truth Will Set You Free couldn’t see the truth if it hit him/her in the face. Obviously, “truth” is a Yankee fan. This is what Willie had to say about bullpen management to Dan Graziano this year:

“The bullpen. That’s something I didn’t realize was a real job,” Randolph said. “Having to keep up on who’s pitched when and who’s available and who’s not and whether this guy’s a changeup guy and whether you want to bring him in to face a good fastball hitter or vice versa or whatever. That’s something you don’t realize until you get into it.”

Well, duh, that’s an essential part of the game. Is he joking? Fans even know this. Was he napping with Joe Torre on the bench all these years? It made me sick to read this. To know that what I thought was incompetence on the part of Willie REALLY was incompetence. And it’s really sad that Omar made this decision to hire Willie. It’s just as much an indictment of Omar as it is of Willie.

73. Comment posted by JMP on September 5, 2005 at 12:03 pm (#11093)

In defense of Willie… YES, the Taksuckoo decision was the worst this year. I think that one left everybody breathless. But in Willie’s defense there are more Willie pros than cons this year. Here’s how I see it.
    Ishii… worst GM move of the year. The move erased an offensive threat from 1B and put pressure on the team to start him for as long as they could… keeping Hielman and Seo out of the rotation… albeit Seo was not ready until mid-june anyway.
    Kaz/cairo… Kaz has been horrible for two years… but he tries like heck. Cairo was a welcome relief because at least he could field the position. Kaz will be a welcome sight soon because Cairo can’t hit Kaz’s weight. This will be moot next year when Hernandez or Keppinger are at 2b. The only bad point for willie was leaving cairo in the 2 hole for too long… but the team doesn’t have a lot of options there unless they drop Beltran into 2nd and Wright into 3rd.
    Can anybody rememebr a Met team THIS AGGRESSIVE on the basepaths. Reyes alone has won games with manufactured runs… they have more guys in double digit steals then they had steals last year. The previous two years it was the mets getting killed with the stolen base… Willie turned that around.
    He has been an excellent influence on the younger players… of course Reyes and Wright are SHINING this year under willie… (though wright might have shone under Ray Handley..) But Diaz and Jacobs have been given a chance and will be a part of this team in the future. The team has fun, and it will be together for a while to come… including the manager.

Now.. having said that… I still can’t understand why Bobby V. was run… Phillips was the biggest idiot in Met history… but I think Bobby did a really good job with a bunch of guys who paled in comparison to THE POTENTIAL of the current team… though they all had career years in 2000.

Let’s hope Willie learns from his mistakes and Graves and Isucktoo never see the mound again.

PS.. I like the decision to hold back trax until today… the starters were never an issue in FL or Philly.

LGM!!!

74. Comment posted by JMP on September 5, 2005 at 12:41 pm (#11097)

Two more things… Bobby V. was the reason they signed Seo… Seo there!!!
    I didn’t read FASTBALL’s post before I wrote my own. That is disheartening, but that is something Willie will have learned this year. But that is also the reason why Tony LaBaseball and the old married couple on the front porch in Atlanta are the best in the business. If he wants to succeed in the business of field manager of a MLB team he had better get himself a laptop and a GEEK to keep track of these things.
    Look at the bright side… next years team will be Seo much better…
    Rotation: Pedro, Benson, Seo, Glavine (Trax, Hielman, FA or Rookie)…no Zambrano or Ishii And I’d like to add that Zambrano has been a terrific 5th starter… so he wouldn’t be a total disappointment in that role again… he’s just not a 2nd or third starter…. which is what they gave up for him…and I still think with soem work Ishii might be the LH reliever they are looking for… can somebody post his 3inning numbers (1st-3rd inning this guy is si yung)
    Infield: 1b (Jacobs, Eyechart or FA), 2B (Keppy or Hernandez), SS and 3B are not an issue.
    Outfield: I’d really like to see cammy back, but Diaz is cheaper with more offensive upside… Cammy is definitely a TEAM guy and would love to have the same outfield to make a WS push next year.

That is one helluva team… and with the release of Ishii, Matsui and few others they will have more money than they know what to do with for a starter, 1B and a LH reliever. That and a sophmore MGR who hopefully will add pros and remove cons from his resume… they win 100 games next year…

75. Comment posted by Dan in Gettysburg on September 5, 2005 at 4:15 pm (#11103)

YES, the Taksuckoo decision was the worst this year.

My vote is still for going to Roberto Hernandez three straight days against the Brewers.

76. Comment posted by Fastball on September 5, 2005 at 4:29 pm (#11105)

I agree with Dan. Going with 40-year-old Bert 3 days in a row in grueling 95+ degree heat during the Milwaukee series was pure insanity.

While many of us crucify Willie, let us not give Omar a free pass. Here’s the difference between the Braves and the Mets and why the Braves always win — while Schuerholz gets Farnsworth down the stretch, Omar gets a washed up 35-year-old reliever with a 5.50+ ERA released by his old team.

Oh why oh why did Willie leave Trachsel in to pitch the 8th today? By the 3rd and 4th time through the order, hitters get their timing down and can pick up his patterns better. Willie was tempting fate — or perhaps setting up Trachsel so that he could turn around and take him out of the rotation now. Trax definitely does not deserve that.

77. Comment posted by Fastball on September 5, 2005 at 4:30 pm (#11106)

correction: Takatsu is 36, not 35

78. Comment posted by SNK on September 5, 2005 at 7:45 pm (#11112)

Can someone explain this one to me???

The Mets purchased the contract of RHP Danny Graves from Triple-A Norfolk. Graves went 0-2 with an 18.00 ERA in five games with Norfolk.

How many times does he need to prove to us that he sucks?

79. Comment posted by Luke on September 8, 2005 at 10:49 pm (#11420)

It’s great to see I’m not the only one who realizes Willie’s inability to manage this team, I’m sure he makes a fine bench coach. If the Mets do get the wildcard it’s not any of his doing. Anyone would be better as head coach!!!